PDA

View Full Version : Prop Tool

VOLFAN
04-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Is a prop tool needed to remove and install a prop?

What do you guys recommend? must have or money not well spent

ShamrockIV
04-08-2008, 02:13 PM
hey bro i got a big @$$ hammer!!!!

flipper
04-08-2008, 02:14 PM
yes, you need a puller to get the prop off, don't know which is the best though. I made one for mine.

kskib046
04-08-2008, 02:14 PM
if it's a key shaft you probably need one, otherwise not.

VOLFAN
04-08-2008, 02:27 PM
Is there a cheap way to afro-engineer one?

I have a wheel pulley.. would that work?

russlars
04-08-2008, 02:29 PM
When I bought my new prop I bought the "C" type puller from Delta and it worked great. Check them out here: http://www.deltaprop.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=37&cat=Pullers+%26++Kits
I wasn't excited about spending the $85, but there is no way the old prop would have come off without one of these. Very usefull and necessary tool to change a prop.

stuartmcnair
04-08-2008, 02:30 PM
you don't need one. Spray the shaft with PB Blaster or something similar. Let it sit for a minute. Put a piece of 2x4 against the back of the prop and give it a whack with a rubber mallet (not a metal hammer in case you miss). You can then pull the prop right off.

You could also get a prop knocker from OJ that will serve about the same purpose. You can usually find a scrap piece of 2x4 for free though.

P-hat_in_Cincy
04-08-2008, 02:41 PM
A 2 jaw gear puller worked on my 4 blade OJ.

coz
04-08-2008, 02:44 PM
Here's a pic if you need to try and make one

A.R.E. MFG. http://www.aremfg.biz/index.htm

ncsone
04-08-2008, 03:18 PM
The props seem to come off of the newer MC's with the splined shaft real easy. I just tapped mine on the leading edge of the hub with a rubber mallet. If you have a keyed shaft, get the prop puller. It is well spent money. I have, in the past, been able to borrow one from my dealer (a while ago) might be worth a try if you are only going to use it once (hopefully).

jbfootin
04-08-2008, 04:37 PM
Last summer my prop got messed up. I had a spare prop, but not a puller. My buddy told me to just loosen the nut a turn or 2, back it back into the water on the trailer, but do not unhook from trailer, and just hit it in reverse. I was leary of doing this but it worked like a charm. When I pulled back out the prop was loose and came right off.

JohnE
04-08-2008, 05:13 PM
I used a prop puller like Coz pictured and had to heat the prop to get mine off my old tristar. I can't imagine getting it off without a puller. But jb's method is intriguing....

stuartmcnair
04-08-2008, 06:29 PM
well, the prop on my boat had been on for 18 years and came off pretty easy with a little help from the 2x4. That was the method Jim @ BAWS told me to use. You could always try the free ways first. :)

uawaterskier
04-08-2008, 06:55 PM
I just get a big adjustable wrench and open it up to where it is just bigger than the shaft. Then hit the wrench with a hammer. It seems to work on both the tapered shafts as well as splined ones.

Disclaimer: Dont go wailing on the wrench, it really doesn't take that much for to get it off.

88 PS190
04-08-2008, 07:01 PM
Always remember to leave the nut on a few threads till the prop is loose, then remove the nut... otherwise it will hit the rudder and take damage.

I have an OJ prop puller. Works fine, turn turn turn, bunkkkk.

76S&S
04-08-2008, 07:21 PM
yes, you need a puller to get the prop off, don't know which is the best though. I made one for mine.

I did the same thing, made mine out of an old C clamp.:D

No Skeez
04-08-2008, 07:43 PM
I can tell you from experience the Harmonic prop pullers (http://www.acmemarine.com/our_props.php#weekend_saver_kit) from Acme work like a charm on the splined shafts...

randyb
04-08-2008, 07:46 PM
If you don't have a puller but have a propane torch, heat up the hub a bit, give it a tap with the 2x4 method mentioned earlier and it'll jump off of there. Have gloves on though because it will be hot.

Chas
04-08-2008, 08:17 PM
I found a kit for sale on Craigslist. I thought it was too good to be true when the guy said he would be in my area the next evening and would save me the drive to his town.

But he showed up as promised, the kit was brand new as promised, and I took it and ran. OK, I paid him first...

I like having the right tool for any job.

FrankSchwab
04-09-2008, 01:51 AM
I second the large gear puller. Bought one from Harbor Freight (Similar to the big one in This set. (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40966)) Should work for any 4-blade prop.

I took the prop off last weekend; probably the first time it's been off in the boat's life. Had to crank on the puller like mad, when I couldn't crank any more, I was depressed. I was seriously considering heating the prop as suggested, instead decided to give the hex end of the puller screw a whack - and everything popped right off.

After all the reading I did, there are two answers to your question:
1. There's a 50% chance that you won't need a specialized puller. A quick whack on the 2x4, and all will be good.
2. Theres a 50% chance that it'll be a real SOB.

/frank

TMCNo1
04-09-2008, 07:43 AM
I second the large gear puller. Bought one from Harbor Freight (Similar to the big one in This set. (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40966)) Should work for any 4-blade prop.

I took the prop off last weekend; probably the first time it's been off in the boat's life. Had to crank on the puller like mad, when I couldn't crank any more, I was depressed. I was seriously considering heating the prop as suggested, instead decided to give the hex end of the puller screw a whack - and everything popped right off.

After all the reading I did, there are two answers to your question:
1. There's a 50% chance that you won't need a specialized puller. A quick whack on the 2x4, and all will be good.
2. Theres a 50% chance that it'll be a real SOB.

/frank

When it's that 50%, install prop puller as tight as you can, WD-40/PB Blaster on the shaft/hub, heat the hub with a hair dryer or heat gun, low heat setting in the hub area and it will "bing" in about 5 minutes! Just don't remove the prop nut, just back it off a couple turns to keep it from jumping off the shaft.

EJ OJPROP
04-09-2008, 07:56 AM
Prop tools offered by OJ, Investment Cast Stainless Steel C-Clamp puller 3 or 4 blade, retail $68.00, Prop Knocker (Harmonic type), retail $25.00. Hairdryer/heatgun not offered as of yet but will look into it.

loeweb
04-09-2008, 11:51 AM
my puller came with the boat. Even if I don't need to get the prop fixed, I try to pull it off every year to prevent the 50% SOB from happening. Takes 5 minutes tops, and that way if something bad does happen, I know it will come off easy.

jbfootin
04-09-2008, 02:50 PM
Last summer my prop got messed up. I had a spare prop, but not a puller. My buddy told me to just loosen the nut a turn or 2, back it back into the water on the trailer, but do not unhook from trailer, and just hit it in reverse. I was leary of doing this but it worked like a charm. When I pulled back out the prop was loose and came right off.
1 more thing I didn't mention, Leave the cotter pin in to keep the nut from spinning off the shaft. If it is on a trailer and a boat landing is handy this does work.