PDA

View Full Version : Corvette and powerslot upgrade

Kochenash
04-08-2008, 07:37 AM
I am looking at (2) 1999 prostar 190's with one having the corvette engine and powerslot transmission and the other with standard engine and transmission. Is the corvette that much better......fuel economy? and how about life expectancy? ......your opinions greatly appreciated ....Nick

JohnE
04-08-2008, 08:34 AM
I can't offer much about the 'vette engine, but someone will soon. I can say I think you definitely want the 'slot. How do the prices and overall condition of each compare?

Chas
04-08-2008, 09:02 AM
I see that the Power Slot trans set up seems to add value to resale, and when folks post about doing a restoration, they sometimes upgrade to a Power Slot if the trans is being rebuilt or replaced.

My question then, is this -

Why would MC build boats without this trans? What would be a good example of a boat that doesn't need/want the Power Slot?

My old S&S doesn't have it and as far as I know the 1:1 trans is working fine. So, when is it beneficial to have this, and when is it not needed or desired?

Kochenash
04-08-2008, 09:02 AM
There is about $500.00 differrence..... corvette 313hrs standard 500hrs but the corvette is the cheaper one. They look to be in similar condition although I am not excited about the color of the one with the corvette but if is that much better and fuel economy is similar.....vette wins......Thanks for your response...Nick

YooperScott
04-08-2008, 09:30 AM
My uncle has a '95 with the standard 275hp engine and I have a '95 with LT-1 (Corvette) with both having standard 1:1 trannies. No question mine holeshots much harder. The LT-1's were a great engine in automative use (early to mid 90's Vette, Z28, Firebird/Trans Am, Impala). You don't seem to see many LT-1's with slots but that should make the holeshot even better. All that said they both should suit you just fine, and if you are new to inboards either will be a totally new world from whatever you were coming from.

Scott
'95 LT-1 Prostar 190

shepherd
04-08-2008, 11:31 AM
Both of my Mastercrafts had Powerslots. No complaints. I've skied behind Mastercrafts without Powerslots. No complaints either. It's not really necessary IMO. If it only cost a few hundred more, I'd go with the Powerslot for the little extra performance and resale value. But I wouldn't let the lack of Powerslot dissuade me from buying a boat I liked otherwise. :twocents:

ShamrockIV
04-08-2008, 11:33 AM
pick the one u like better. color means alot!! i have heard good and bad about the LT1. i hear it is kinda touchy since it is not really a marine setup. good luck!!! post pics when u get ur boat!!

scottkirbysavage
04-08-2008, 12:02 PM
If you want to be able to pull your skier up too fast, Get the LT-1! Mine has great fuel efficiency. I can run 4-5 ski trips on one tank. They sound mean and dirty too!

kpickett
04-08-2008, 01:44 PM
I've got the LT-1. It's a great engine. I think the only real worry is if it's been badly overheated in the past. These engines are a little sensitive to that. Otherwise, don't think twice - get the LT-1.

As far as why MC would make a boat w/out the slot - with the LT-1, the slot really isn't needed. That engine has so much power, I can get anyone out and up to speed, even with a really short setup, with the 1-1 transmission.