PDA

View Full Version : Boat starting problems

cbryan70
04-07-2008, 11:01 PM
Well after doing a bit of work to the boat. I had to remove the gas tank. After install i had to crank for a bit. FIgured i would becuase of no gas in the lines. I have an electric fuel pump that i turn on before i start the boat but that didnt seem to help. After pouring a bit of gas into the carbs it fired up right away. I ran the boat till it got to temp and turned it off and fired it right up no problem. THe next day the same thing no fire until i threw some fuel in the carb. This boat has lived most of its life in a warmer climate and has never been started in 40 and 50 degree weather. Im not sure what the carb is set to. Once I start the engine it runs fine even if i bring down the rpm. Any ideas?

cbryan70
04-07-2008, 11:45 PM
man not even a single view...bump

88 PS190
04-08-2008, 12:00 AM
No leaks in the line?

cbryan70
04-08-2008, 12:19 AM
nope...........

cbryan70
04-08-2008, 10:58 AM
bump.........

Hollywood
04-08-2008, 11:02 AM
THe next day the same thing no fire until i threw some fuel in the carb. This boat has lived most of its life in a warmer climate and has never been started in 40 and 50 degree weather.

Well if you don't have anything to compare it to it may be normal. Are you pumping the throttle at all before starting it cold? Can you see gas coming out? Even after a few days you should have plenty of fuel in the bowls for a quick squirt before cranking.

cbryan70
04-08-2008, 11:03 AM
yup cranking the throttle still nothing

Hollywood
04-08-2008, 11:11 AM
No fire or no gas? Or both I would assume if it's not catching. The gas that was in the fuel bowls are definitely going somewhere!

cbryan70
04-08-2008, 11:14 AM
that is what i am thinking. how would i fix that tho? the weird thing is when i throw the fuel pump on it stops clicking like it filled them up

Monte
04-08-2008, 12:08 PM
Fuel filter?

Hollywood
04-08-2008, 12:42 PM
How do you fix it? Find out where you're leaking gas! Since it evaporates, you could try stuffing some paper towel down the throat of the carb, and wrap each connection along the fuel system as well. Even after it dries you'll have crusty yellow paper if it got any on it. Cheap and easy and you may find your answer, may not though but won't harm anything or waste any $$ in the process.

I'm already thinking ahead to when/if you can't find a leak. Is it possible to be siphoning gas back out of the bowls into the tank? Unscrew the gas cap a little so it can breath, and check your anti-siphon valve if on top of the tank if you have one.

76S&S
04-08-2008, 12:55 PM
Might try installing a clear inline fuel filter up by the motor. Then you would have a visual check to see if the fuel is running back into the tank. If it is, it might be a fuel pump issue.

Hollywood
04-08-2008, 01:11 PM
Might try installing a clear inline fuel filter up by the motor. Then you would have a visual check to see if the fuel is running back into the tank. If it is, it might be a fuel pump issue.

This might be OK for diagnostic purposes, but absolutely do not run the boat with a plastic filter on the pressure side of the fuel system regularly. That is a serious safety hazard. You should be using a metal fuel line from the pump to the carburator. There are rubber lines as well as inline filters that are USCG approved, so this needs to be verified prior to install. I hope your fuel pump is also USCG approved.

I tried to find this information in writing from the USCG themselves, but couldn't.

http://www.limarinesurveyor.com/fuel_systems.htm

"Fuel lines to Carburetors from the engine fuel pump must be metal lines."

cbryan70
04-08-2008, 01:56 PM
Well today i fired it up just for a split second before i came to work and it fired back up. I did notice that after installing a new fuel vent one of them was facing up instead of down so i fixed that. Do not think that would do anything but who knows. Thank you guys for all of your help. Also i did tighten up the fuel line hose going to the gas tank