PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice on Utility Trailer

georgea0731
04-07-2008, 10:37 PM
I really need a utility trailer, so if you have one, what would you do different? 5x10, or is a 5x8 o.k. I plan on using it for hauling a riding mower to and from the shop once or twice a year. Plus just general use.
Do you know of anyone getting rid of one, please give them my email amonette516@comcast.net or 770 634 5437
thanks and best wishes

Lennyp04
04-07-2008, 10:58 PM
My dad bought a folding utility trailer from Harbor Freight for like $250. You can choose between 8" or I think 12" wheels depending on the load. It does a great job for carrying fire wood or snow for our snowboarding rail jams! Its a great trailer that folds up to I believe around 1' maybe a little more. I can get more info if your interested in finding out more about it. I think harbor freight has a web site but I'm not sure.

stuartmcnair
04-07-2008, 11:04 PM
you can get a decent 16x8 with a ramp for about $1000. Go with one of those. Tandem axle is a must with those as you will always end up hauling more than you anticipated.

H20BOY
04-07-2008, 11:47 PM
Of the options you gave I would definately go with the 5 x 10. I have a 5 x 10 tilt bed and love it. I use it all the time. Haul 4 wheeler, mulch, furniture, anything.

daverbeck
04-08-2008, 12:26 AM
I have a 5X8 and I wouldn't go any smaller. You can haul full sheets of plywood, etc.

Bigger allows you to haul more but I use mine more around the house for yard work (clearing brush, etc.) hauling it behind my lawn tractor than I do on the road. So this size works well for me. Also easy to roll around and store in the spare garage.

This one has the expanded metal gate for driving on the garden tractor, etc. I have hauled my BMW motorcycle several times including a vacation out west.

Bought it for $500 new (it was one of those lawn care equipment haulers) and added 2' high plywood sides so I can haul brush, bark mulch, dirt, etc. Saves me from having to buy a pickup truck so I can drive a zoomy car.

lanier92prostar
04-08-2008, 01:17 AM
I would go with the 5X10. Makes loading and unloading plywood and sheetrock a little easier, plus you can haul 16 foot boards in a 5X10. Make sure you get the gate for puttling your tractor on the trailer. Much easier than using boards or ramps.

TMCNo1
04-08-2008, 07:05 AM
Lowes Home Improvement, Tractor Supply and Northern Tool carry some right nice trailers at a very reasonable price.

jimmer2880
04-08-2008, 08:19 AM
I have a 6x10 with 2' sides and a ramp tailgate that I built myself. Absolutely love it. No way I would only go 8' long. The extra 2' makes a huge difference.

Also, Go with the heaviest axle you can. Although not 100% accurate, a good way to judge is to count the studs on the wheels. The more the better. I have put 1.5 tons of mulch on my trailer before and didn't think twice because I knew I had a 5,000 axle under it.

2RLAKE
04-08-2008, 08:22 AM
go bigger ... i bought a 5x10 for my 4 wheeler ... now between me and the kids we each have dirt bikes and 4 wheelers ... plus you always end up hauling more than anticipated ... 6x12 is a minimum

coz
04-08-2008, 08:46 AM
go bigger ... i bought a 5x10 for my 4 wheeler ... now between me and the kids we each have dirt bikes and 4 wheelers ... plus you always end up hauling more than anticipated ... 6x12 is a minimum

I'm with you 2R, I've had a case of the biggers for a while. I've had this 5x10 for years and when the kids had small bikes it was no prob, now the bikes are getting bigger and quads are included now so it's real tight now, a 6x12 would be perfect for me. :D
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2053/2306076972_a8d9428a39_b.jpg

Chas
04-08-2008, 09:08 AM
Rent a trailer and find out what works best for you before you buy. I noticed that U haul and other rental places all use larger wheel/tire combinations. That would be a good sign to me not to go with the smaller tires/wheels usually found on Harbor Freight units.

YooperScott
04-08-2008, 09:50 AM
I have a 4X8 (the bigger wheel "heavy duty" one) from Harbor Freight. It's cool. Cheap as heck and seems fine. I've hauled a snowmobile on 400 mile trips with it. It's a longtrack so it hangs over the front and back a tad but for the price it's great. Plus it folds up to not use much space at all (that was important to me). If you only need it a couple times a year this is a nice cheap option. I got mine on sale and with a plywood deck I was around $300. The quality actually seems ok. Only thing I may do is put more expensive wheel bearings on it for piece of mind. I did searches before getting it figuring I would hear people talking about how terrible they are, but instead could only find sucess stories. I've not used mine much but it has served well so far. Oh yeah, I do remember I replaced the casters that it rolls around on when folded up. They were JUNK but cheap and easy to change with better ones from the local home improvement store.

Scott
'95 LT-1 Prostar 190

Workin' 4 Toys
04-08-2008, 10:17 AM
One of the guys has a 5' x 8'. Often it's just a touch too small. A 10' would be more useful, and he plans to change soon. With the rails around the sides it's a much more useful trailer than my 14' flatbed.
One thing I can't stand about his utility trailer is hauling it empty. The steel fold up ramp/gate clanking around on the back is unbelievably annoying. If there are optional ramps that can be slid underneith, that would help.
Two of the 1/2" steel pins used to hold the ramp up snapped off on a trip once.

ORX-1
04-10-2008, 03:34 PM
http://www.snowbear.com/ I got this at Costco and it is great, I think around $800. check it out!

atlfootr
05-05-2008, 02:59 PM
Last week I dismantled my utility trailer, stripp'n off the runn'n boards and the wiring etc ...

I then took it in of a 'refacial' of sorts to a local welding shop --
Complete sandblasting and brand new paint job and some extra touches as well

It should be ready this week.
When I get it back, I'll post some after pics :D

Here's some prior one's ...

atlfootr
05-05-2008, 03:01 PM
Here's some prior one's ...Just one more.

stuartmcnair
05-05-2008, 04:09 PM
looks like you have two utility trailers...that other one looks a little fancy for carrying ladders though....

atlfootr
05-05-2008, 04:31 PM
Had to build an xtra concrete slab "mastercraft approved" of course, jus' for it.
Nowhere else to store the boat trailer but there.

atlfootr
05-16-2008, 08:50 AM
Head'n out to pick up trailer this am, bought new PT 2X8's x 10 yesterday at Lowes .. need to trim / to fit

bigmac
05-16-2008, 09:06 AM
Depends on your budget - there's no shortage of utility trailers out there.

Years ago, after sanding and repainting a snowmobile trailer for the third time, I vowed I'd never own another steel utility trailer. I bought a Beartracker (http://www.beartrackproducts.com/Products_Trailers_LAWN.html)5x8 aluminum and it's been excellent. It sits low, so putting 4 wheelers and lawn tractors in it is simple. It has sides that can be attached easily.

There are several similar aluminum trailers out there, all probably just as good, but I do strongly recommend aluminum, with a low deck and shallow-angle attached ramp.

http://www.beartrackproducts.com/images/ProductImages/Trailers/BTU6596_large.gif