PDA

View Full Version : I'm Not Landing Here!

coz
04-07-2008, 09:21 PM
Talk about a "Tight Approach" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHmrcCfdZFM

Here's a water landing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiOlU1LhopE&feature=related
:D

TheOneandOnly
04-07-2008, 09:28 PM
nice clips heres one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKIheIbu3P8&feature=related

roddydog
04-07-2008, 09:36 PM
As crazy as those are, drivin a car is the most dangerous thing you will do all day............................................... ..

Unless you're on H!!

TX.X-30 fan
04-07-2008, 09:41 PM
That St maarten landing is tops!!!

Tom023
04-07-2008, 10:02 PM
Then the approach to Catalina Island may scare you a bit too...

MYMC
04-08-2008, 08:49 AM
No need to travel far...you can shoot this one here in NC!

Takeoff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TNiaf1uvq4&feature=related

Landing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc2hiJ4O-fE

MYMC
04-08-2008, 08:54 AM
And what happens when you don't follow the posted procedures and bounce the landing...

coz
04-08-2008, 09:14 AM

My friend flew me over for Buffalo Burgers in a Piper Cherokee and I remember the approach, the updraft made it feel like the plane just stopped in mid air and he pivoted the plane towards the runway and slowly glided in, scared the Shhhh out of me. I ended up having a burger and got hammered for the ride home to Torrance airport to sooth the nerves (not him) :D

CPlane Pilot
04-08-2008, 09:59 AM
A much more scenic spot to test your landing skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8IB4FcvE_U

coz
04-08-2008, 10:06 AM
A much more scenic spot to test your landing skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8IB4FcvE_U

Talk about a quick stop :confused: watch out for that grizzly on your way in :D

Tom023
04-08-2008, 11:03 AM
No need to travel far...you can shoot this one here in NC!

I just added that to my list of airports to visit.

MYMC
04-08-2008, 11:38 AM
I just added that to my list of airports to visit.
http://www.mapilots.org/first_time_pilots.html

Everything you need to know...the video is great.

coz
04-08-2008, 11:47 AM
http://www.mapilots.org/first_time_pilots.html

Everything you need to know...the video is great.

That's beautiful up there :D

puck_11
04-08-2008, 11:58 AM
All those long runways, what's the big deal ;) I'm headed out to the boat next month. For those that don't know, the first time we go, we are solo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkjqa18hwWY

That Mountain Air airport looks awesome, and that bush pilot's a good stick!

MYMC
04-08-2008, 03:51 PM
All those long runways, what's the big deal ;) I'm headed out to the boat next month. For those that don't know, the first time we go, we are solo!
Puck...are you that far along already? Congrats!

I flew an L39 two weeks ago with an ex-top gun pilot (was head of the agressor squad)...those Navy guys don't "land" they crash lightly!

Send pics back!

atlfootr
04-08-2008, 09:55 PM
That's beautiful up there :D
Mountain Air
Burnsville, NC
28714, US

puck_11
04-08-2008, 11:39 PM
Puck...are you that far along already? Congrats!

I flew an L39 two weeks ago with an ex-top gun pilot (was head of the agressor squad)...those Navy guys don't "land" they crash lightly!

Send pics back!

Haha yeah we usually touch down with a 500-700fpm descent:D But the the landing gear absorbs the impact pretty well. I've got about two months left in the program, Aerial Combat Maneuvering and the boat, but its been a lot of work to get to this point. I just finished up dropping bombs out in El Centro, very fun! It was a good time flying with your buddies making fun of eachother's hits. As one IP quoted "Well, you didn't get very close with this hit, so you'll just need a bigger bomb." 8p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni7uBFf-7JU&feature=related

MYMC
04-09-2008, 11:08 AM
Haha yeah we usually touch down with a 500-700fpm descent:D But the the landing gear absorbs the impact pretty well. I've got about two months left in the program, Aerial Combat Maneuvering and the boat, but its been a lot of work to get to this point. I just finished up dropping bombs out in El Centro, very fun! It was a good time flying with your buddies making fun of eachother's hits. As one IP quoted "Well, you didn't get very close with this hit, so you'll just need a bigger bomb." 8p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni7uBFf-7JU&feature=related
Very cool sir! So, on your carrier quals, do you go missed or a touch-n-go on your first shots or are you expected to call-the-ball and land it?

puck_11
04-09-2008, 11:28 AM
Very cool sir! So, on your carrier quals, do you go missed or a touch-n-go on your first shots or are you expected to call-the-ball and land it?

Ideally you get a few touch and goes, hook up. But depending upon how long you were holding in the marshal stack, your first pass may be a trap due to fuel considerations.

shepherd
04-09-2008, 11:32 AM
Good luck Puck. Don't screw the pooch! ;)

(lucky bustard... :cool: )

MYMC
04-09-2008, 11:46 AM
Ideally you get a few touch and goes, hook up. But depending upon how long you were holding in the marshal stack, your first pass may be a trap due to fuel considerations.
The break at 800 feet will be a rush!

MYMC
04-09-2008, 12:11 PM
Puck,
Here ya go...me getting into a real fighter...top that.;)
Czech fighters rule! (LOL)

puck_11
04-09-2008, 03:55 PM
Thanks Shep. Looks like fun MYMC, not many people get a chance to fly a tactical jet! Did that one have a working ejection seat?

MYMC
04-10-2008, 09:53 AM
Seat was not hot...however, the one I would use to get my LOA does have hot seats.

puck_11
04-10-2008, 10:31 AM
Did you buy an L-39, or are you looking at one?

Carbon Dreams
04-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Seat was not hot...however, the one I would use to get my LOA does have hot seats.

If you trust eastern block hot seats. I don't know if I would plan for them to work. Most of the 39's I've been around have the seats gutted for two reasons, weight and danger.

I don't think that you can still get an LOA for the L-39. I believe you will have to take a checkride with an EAE (Experimental Aircraft Examiner). You will have to take instruction and then fill out an 8710 form just like any other certificate or rating. I would recommend Dave Morss in CA for your ride. Great guy and knows the L-39 pretty well.

Good luck and be safe with that .3 to 1 aircraft. Fun to fly very, very interesting to take off on a hot summer day!

Chas
04-10-2008, 10:53 AM
Talk about a quick stop :confused: watch out for that grizzly on your way in :D

Wouldn't that be called, "Bear footing?"

MYMC
04-10-2008, 11:23 AM
If you trust eastern block hot seats. I don't know if I would plan for them to work. Most of the 39's I've been around have the seats gutted for two reasons, weight and danger.

I don't think that you can still get an LOA for the L-39. I believe you will have to take a checkride with an EAE (Experimental Aircraft Examiner). You will have to take instruction and then fill out an 8710 form just like any other certificate or rating. I would recommend Dave Morss in CA for your ride. Great guy and knows the L-39 pretty well.

Good luck and be safe with that .3 to 1 aircraft. Fun to fly very, very interesting to take off on a hot summer day!
Not interested in the hot seats...and you are correct most are pinned for various good reasons.

You are correct the LOA requirement has changed it was:
An L-39 requires a Letter Of Authorization (LOA). This is accomplished by performing a checkride with an authorized check pilot. Normally, the check pilot is also the person who provides training, both on the ground and in the air. Upon completion of the check ride, the check pilot submits a Request for LOA to the local FSDO. The FSDO (hopefully) approves it and issues the LOA to the pilot. The paperwork process usually is completed in a matter of days.
But now it is a EAE cert.

Spool up times of 9+ seconds? What, me worry?:rolleyes:

The ones I've flown are in Orlando...hot humid...interesting is one way to put it.:D

Thanks for the reccomendation! How are things at Epic? You guys are probably slammed busy! Shouldnt you be at Sun-N-Fun?

MYMC
04-10-2008, 11:24 AM
Did you buy an L-39, or are you looking at one?
Looking right now...:rolleyes:

Carbon Dreams
04-10-2008, 11:29 AM
Not interested in the hot seats...and you are correct most are pinned for various good reasons.

You are correct the LOA requirement has changed it was:
An L-39 requires a Letter Of Authorization (LOA). This is accomplished by performing a checkride with an authorized check pilot. Normally, the check pilot is also the person who provides training, both on the ground and in the air. Upon completion of the check ride, the check pilot submits a Request for LOA to the local FSDO. The FSDO (hopefully) approves it and issues the LOA to the pilot. The paperwork process usually is completed in a matter of days.
But now it is a EAE cert.

Spool up times of 9+ seconds? What, me worry?:rolleyes:

The ones I've flown are in Orlando...hot humid...interesting is one way to put it.:D

Thanks for the reccomendation! How are things at Epic? You guys are probably slammed busy! Shouldnt you be at Sun-N-Fun?

This is the first time in 8 years I have been able to dodge SNF. We sent our VP of Sales and CEO for a few days. The rest of us stayed home. Things at Epic are good and busy. We are in the high-speed testing phase of our little Jets, fun, fun, fun.

MYMC
04-10-2008, 11:39 AM
This is the first time in 8 years I have been able to dodge SNF. We sent our VP of Sales and CEO for a few days. The rest of us stayed home. Things at Epic are good and busy. We are in the high-speed testing phase of our little Jets, fun, fun, fun.
You guys have some really cool stuff going on right now.

puck_11
04-10-2008, 03:30 PM

Thats ballsy, except for when you need to punch out! :eek3: We lost the far jet in the picture due to an engine bearing failure and the close one due to a bunch of birds going down the intakes. The first one happened on a Friday the next one happened the following Monday. Not a good weekend.

But I guess you don't have much of an alternative with the seats that you have :noface:

But on the other hand I probably wouldn't turn down a ride either:toast:

Carbon Dreams
04-10-2008, 04:00 PM
Thats ballsy, except for when you need to punch out! :eek3: We lost the far jet in the picture due to an engine bearing failure and the close one due to a bunch of birds going down the intakes. The first one happened on a Friday the next one happened the following Monday. Not a good weekend.

But I guess you don't have much of an alternative with the seats that you have :noface:

But on the other hand I probably wouldn't turn down a ride either:toast:

Ejection seats are great. Don't get me wrong...Just not eastern block seats dating back to the 70's with suspect maintenance. I would hate to rely on them working and pull the handles with nothing happening. Fly as if you don't have hot seats, and you probably will never need them unless you are in combat or in aircraft with a glide ratio of a homesick boulder.

I have two very good friends that punched out of Hornets...One is 1 1/2 inches shorter and barely survived the ride and the other was knocked out. Granted, they would both have likely perished without the seats, but riding a rocket is no guarantee.

Most L-39 fatalities could not have been prevented by utilizing ejection seats. They, like almost all accidents, are a direct result of an acute headset fire.

puck_11
04-10-2008, 05:59 PM
I hear ya Carbon Dreams, I wouldn't trust eastern block seats either. Just making sure he knows what he's getting into flying a single engine tactical jet.

Its kind of weird, I was a flight instructor while in college, teaching instruments in Pipers and aerobatics in a Decathlon, and now that I have an ejection seat, I don't want to go without one :)

Sodar
04-10-2008, 06:10 PM

I have flown in and out of "The Airport in the Sky" more times than I can remember! One time though, when I was about 5, I was not strapped in tight enough and I hit my head sitting in the backseat of a Cesna on take-off. I remember being so paranoid, that I used to duck everytime we would take off! :D

Tom023
04-11-2008, 10:14 AM
All you guys with your jets, and carriers, and ejection seats are nuts...although I would go for a ride given the chance. I do enjoy unique airports like Catalina, but after a day of flying I generally look forward to the docile approach to 17R at KDWH on a clear evening.

It's kind of like hanging out in the boat after a long day of skiing, just without the suds.

Carbon Dreams
04-11-2008, 10:56 AM
All you guys with your jets, and carriers, and ejection seats are nuts...although I would go for a ride given the chance. I do enjoy unique airports like Catalina, but after a day of flying I generally look forward to the docile approach to 17R at KDWH on a clear evening.

It's kind of like hanging out in the boat after a long day of skiing, just without the suds.

You nailed the essence of flying. Those of us that fly for a living have lost sight, to some degree, of the romance that flying is. I agree, there is nothing like a dusk landing with the sunset in full force. It doesn't matter if you are in a 150 or a 747. It is glorious!

MYMC
04-11-2008, 12:06 PM
I hear ya Carbon Dreams, I wouldn't trust eastern block seats either. Just making sure he knows what he's getting into flying a single engine tactical jet.

Its kind of weird, I was a flight instructor while in college, teaching instruments in Pipers and aerobatics in a Decathlon, and now that I have an ejection seat, I don't want to go without one :)
Gotta remember I fly Cirrus aircraft and we have a hot seat...its called the chute;) (I don't plan on using it either).

MYMC
04-11-2008, 12:13 PM
Ejection seats are great. Don't get me wrong...Just not eastern block seats dating back to the 70's with suspect maintenance. I would hate to rely on them working and pull the handles with nothing happening. Fly as if you don't have hot seats, and you probably will never need them unless you are in combat or in aircraft with a glide ratio of a homesick boulder.

I have two very good friends that punched out of Hornets...One is 1 1/2 inches shorter and barely survived the ride and the other was knocked out. Granted, they would both have likely perished without the seats, but riding a rocket is no guarantee.

Most L-39 fatalities could not have been prevented by utilizing ejection seats. They, like almost all accidents, are a direct result of an acute headset fire.
You'll love this "eastern block" story then...
As we were looking at L-39's I spoke with a "russian" gentlemen that asked what I have most of my hours in. I replied a Cirrus SR22...without the blink of an eye he told me (insert heavy russian accent here) "the L-39 not for you...you need MIG21, I have such plane in russia and can have shipped to you here, I'll assemble myself".

Oh yeah...me in a mach 2.1 russian fighter! Btw, she should be here next week!:rolleyes:

CPlane Pilot
04-11-2008, 01:42 PM
You nailed the essence of flying. Those of us that fly for a living have lost sight, to some degree, of the romance that flying is. I agree, there is nothing like a dusk landing with the sunset in full force. It doesn't matter if you are in a 150 or a 747. It is glorious!
I agree! Just make that a warm summer evening with a Cub and a grass field. For a bonus after the flight lets throw in an adult beverage back at the hanger with some pilot buddies.

Tom023
04-11-2008, 01:56 PM
CPlane Pilot,

You can "land" at KDWH and have a cold one at my hangar. Hooks has a water runway, here is a shot that shows 35W off to the right. I thought it would make a great slalom course, but probably not wide enough 2530 X 100, but it is 15 feet deep. There are a few guys who drop their float planes in just like launching a boat.

MYMC
04-11-2008, 03:17 PM

Hey, don't count me out of that...I love to just fly, but sometimes I like to do it upside down:)

CPlane Pilot
04-11-2008, 03:32 PM
CPlane Pilot,

You can "land" at KDWH and have a cold one at my hangar. Hooks has a water runway, here is a shot that shows 35W off to the right. I thought it would make a great slalom course, but probably not wide enough 2530 X 100, but it is 15 feet deep. There are a few guys who drop their float planes in just like launching a boat.
Tom023

I'd love to take you up on that cold one. Lakes still frozen up here, so it'll be a few more weeks before the floats go on. I guess I could get the floats on the old fashion way

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photogallery/Videos/2006-4-8_MLS_Cub_Launch_High_Speed.wmv

Tom023
04-11-2008, 06:01 PM
Hey, don't count me out of that...I love to just fly, but sometimes I like to do it upside down:)

Maybe we should do a fly in at Hooks and then go crash Ric's house!

MYMC
04-14-2008, 09:50 AM
Maybe we should do a fly in at Hooks and then go crash Ric's house!
Sounds like fun!

atlfootr
04-23-2008, 02:20 PM
It's almost that time today, head'n to the airport 1.5hrs away to pick-up the :love: Mrs. and her :love: daughter who are flying in from Tennessee.

She's been gone for a week, nice vaction now back to the grind 8p

Btw, I took some :cool: cool pic's as I was leaving the airport of planes last week -
meant to load on the board for ya all to look at, I try to do that for tonight.

MYMC
04-23-2008, 02:37 PM
It's almost that time today, head'n to the airport 1.5hrs away to pick-up the :love: Mrs. and her :love: daughter who are flying in from Tennessee.

She's been gone for a week, nice vaction now back to the grind 8p

Btw, I took some :cool: cool pic's as I was leaving the airport of planes last week -
meant to load on the board for ya all to look at, I try to do that for tonight.
Cool have a safe flight and look forward to the pics!

atlfootr
04-24-2008, 10:15 AM
Cool have a safe flight and look forward to the pics!

I wasn't leav'n on any plane :rolleyes:
I went to pick' up family, arriving back to town 8p

It pays to read :D