PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning help?????????????????

ShamrockIV
04-07-2008, 08:25 PM
hey guys
please keep the folllowing pic away form kids!!!

i must warn you that i just bought this boat and i have not cleaned it yet!!

what can i use to clean this??
what is the harshest thing that you guys reccommend that will not hurt the fabric???

thanks alot in advance!!!!!!

flipper
04-07-2008, 08:31 PM
I've said it many times here...but I love this stuff, and the people and service can't be beat

http://www.babesboats.com/index.php

icewake
04-07-2008, 08:39 PM
i used water and a magic eraser followed by babes seat conditioner. worked great!

nmcjr
04-07-2008, 08:39 PM
I had great luck with EPHX, bought from http://www.veada.com/php/boatseats/boatseatproductcare.php .

It is a vinyl cleaner specially made for GT products, a vinyl manufacturer. I am not sure if GT makes MC vinyl, but in any case the cleaner was great, and is safe for vinyl. I used a Porter Cable DA with a brush head, made for vinyl, like this: http://www.properboatcare.com/scbrforpoca7.html

The PC cuts out a lot of the elbow grease, but will splatter a bit. You can probably do it by hand, but use a brush, not a rag for better results.

I wish I had before and after pics to post but the vinyl looks like new. I also used a magic eraser to scrub a couple spots that looked like tar or something.

It took me more than one 16 oz bottle, as mine was pretty dirty also. EPHX is expensive, but was worth the cost.

Jason

Farmer Ted
04-07-2008, 08:52 PM
Tried 303 yet?

TX.X-30 fan
04-07-2008, 08:57 PM
Greased lightning will get it off and follow up with water then conditioner.

Lennyp04
04-07-2008, 08:59 PM
whatever you use, use babes seat conditioner after it.

Congrats on the boat, good luck keeping it a secret.

ShamrockIV
04-07-2008, 09:01 PM
secret???
i hope u are being sarcastic!!! i thought everyone knew i was looking at a 209??

Lennyp04
04-07-2008, 09:04 PM
No no, I mean with your kids. If I were you I wouldn't be able to keep it a secret

TMCNo1
04-07-2008, 09:08 PM
secret???
i hope u are being sarcastic!!! i thought everyone knew i was looking at a 209??

Then what the hell does this mean?------------hey guys

You got three boats and don't know what to clean them with? Jeeezzzzz, get your stories straight!

06' X-2 R8R H8R
04-07-2008, 09:12 PM
Elbow Grease.........

Lennyp04
04-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Elbow Grease.........

What brand is that?8p :confused:

ShamrockIV
04-07-2008, 09:33 PM
Then what the hell does this mean?------------hey guys

You got three boats and don't know what to clean them with? Jeeezzzzz, get your stories straight!

i said that because that pics was nasty!! hurts my feelings thst my new boat is so nasty.

sorry if i asked what to clean it with i did not want to screw up the seats!!!

if only we all as wise as tmc01!! don't u have a platform to oil??

roddydog
04-07-2008, 09:39 PM
hey guys

i must warn you that i just bought this boat and i have not cleaned it yet!!

what can i use to clean this??
what is the harshest thing that you guys reccommend that will not hurt the fabric???

thanks alot in advance!!!!!!
OH YOU SICK SICK MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!8p

jimmer2880
04-08-2008, 07:12 AM
i used water and a magic eraser followed by babes seat conditioner. worked great!

Ditto. Magic Eraser will do an awesome job.

KnoxX2
04-08-2008, 07:37 AM
I have hused a brush and a can of Tough Stuff. Just make sure you use a bucket of hot water and after you clean each seat you wipe down with water. After all is done then use 303 on the seats. If you have not used 303 yet, be aware that it will make your seats very slippery.

I think the brush is the key!!!!!!!! It will get deep into the Vinyl!

Gonzo
04-08-2008, 08:38 AM
Somebody posted clorox kitchen cleaner here a while back. It had NO BLEACH.... I havent tried it personally yet, I was too busy working on my teak (did I mention teak). Anyhow it sounded good so I will try it with that space stuff afterwards to condition.

If mildew is absolutly terrible, simple green worked great on my folks awning for the camper. But I warn you, do it in the shade and rinse the crap out of it when you are done.... it will fade just about anything.

lanier92prostar
04-08-2008, 08:48 AM
Somebody posted clorox kitchen cleaner here a while back. It had NO BLEACH.... I havent tried it personally yet, I was too busy working on my teak (did I mention teak). Anyhow it sounded good so I will try it with that space stuff afterwards to condition.

If mildew is absolutly terrible, simple green worked great on my folks awning for the camper. But I warn you, do it in the shade and rinse the crap out of it when you are done.... it will fade just about anything.
Going along these lines, you can use awning cleaner. Check the bottle first and try it on a small area to see what happens.
The only suggestion I have is to use a soft brush and some vinyl cleaner, I use 3M vinyl cleaner that I got at West Marine and seems to do a good job.

prostar190jap
04-14-2008, 01:35 AM
I used magic eraser with some dove soap and then used Lexol Vinylex Protectant.

uawaterskier
04-14-2008, 03:07 AM
not recommended, but I might know of an 07 mastercraft 197 that got bleached onced...

BrianM
04-14-2008, 07:45 AM
I would try Babes seat soap first. It does look like you have some mold spots so if the Babes doesn't get the mold spots use some West Marine vinyl mold and mildew remover. It will get rid of all of the black mold. Then rinse well with water and follow up wiith the Babes seat soap. Finally put on a coat of 303.

BrianM
04-14-2008, 07:45 AM
Double post.....

wakeX2wake
04-14-2008, 09:39 AM
i used the magic erasers this weekend on some fairly rough looking seats... THOSE THING ARE AWESOME... took a little elbow grease but they took all the scratches and marks off the gelcoat as well... i'll be using the heck out of those things from now on

BrianM
04-14-2008, 12:31 PM
Magic Erasers are great but use thm on the vinyl sparingly. The foam bad is a mild abrasive and does wear the protective coating on the vinyl. For stuborn spots they work great but I would not use them as the main cleaning method.

atlfootr
04-21-2008, 10:50 AM
Anybody know where I can get a gallon of this cheaply priced? http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/woeimages/00002686.jpg

H20skeefreek
04-21-2008, 10:57 AM
LOL, that, cheaply priced.....that's a good one!

Sodar
04-21-2008, 11:04 AM
What ever you do, don't go to West Marine for the stuff! After getting a Port Supply card, I cannot believe the price increases they put on their items. In some cases, they have a 250% mark up!! A few days ago, my buddy wanted two battery cables for his dual battery install. Regular price for one cable was $49.99... with my card it was $14.99 and I know they are still making a profit on that!

With that rant made, the cheapest I have seen finesse-it has been in the $100 /gallon range. You can find some decent prices on both ebay and web-based online stores.

cbryan70
04-21-2008, 11:11 AM
i would use lighter fluid on everything

6ballsisall
04-21-2008, 11:23 AM
Someone from the west coast recommended using white wine on everything. I thought it was a wierd idea but he's a big wine guy so I thought what the heck?? I'm sure he'll be along in a while to give you the details.

atlfootr
04-21-2008, 11:37 AM
What ever you do, don't go to West Marine for the stuff!I agree, West Marine IMHO is highly over rated ... :rolleyes:

Sodar
04-21-2008, 11:39 AM
What do you need a gallon for? Did you buy a sportfisher?!?!?

atlfootr
04-21-2008, 11:40 AM
Someone from the west coast recommended using white wine on everything.
I'm sure he'll be along in a while to give you the details.If your around take notes, I'm head'n to work.

White wine :confused:
Now that's a first .... I wonder how much of the glass he drank to come up w/ that one :D

atlfootr
04-21-2008, 11:42 AM
What do you need a gallon for? Did you buy a sportfisher?!?!?Close guess So, my brother has a 30 something Pro Line Saltwater Open Fishing boat and we planned on spliting the cost :)

BrianM
04-21-2008, 12:00 PM
I got a good deal on the Finesse It from my local Napa. It was not labled marine but it is all the same stuff in a different colored bottle.

loeweb
04-21-2008, 12:54 PM
I too use magic eraser on nearly anything that I can't get off w/ soap and water. They do work awesome. Anyone ever order anything from www.boatfix.com ? The prices don't seem bad, and they have a ton of inventory if you can find it in their catalog.