PDA

View Full Version : Remove spark plugs on '90 ProStar

leeh2u
04-07-2008, 05:52 PM
Hey guys....long time reader...first time writer... Purchased a 1990 ProStar 190 this winter and getting her ready for spring (it takes a long time for the ice to melt up here). Read some great reviews on DIM and purchased pile of parts from them: plugs, wires, filters, belts and electronic ignition conversion kit/new coil. I'm just about finished, but having a bugger of a time getting at the spark plugs because of the exahust manifold. What's the trick here? Can't get a box end wrench in there. I tried flex head ratchet/box wrench and that's too fat. Can't even get a socket down in there. What have you guys come up with?

BrianM
04-07-2008, 05:55 PM
Should be able to get a standard box wrench on the tough ones. It is tight but doable.

east tx skier
04-07-2008, 05:57 PM
Got this one from JimN. Take one of your old wire boots and cut it off the wire. Use that to grab those rear plugs. I remember those knuckle busting buggers well. Huge PITA on the Indmar Fords.

flipper
04-07-2008, 06:02 PM
I have to use a box end wrench on a couple of mine.

BrianM
04-07-2008, 06:04 PM
Got this one from JimN. Take one of your old wire boots and cut it off the wire. Use that to grab those rear plugs. I remember those knuckle busting buggers well. Huge PITA on the Indmar Fords.

That helps after you break them loose but you have to get them loose with the box end first.

On another note I just changed the plugs on my boat. Talk about easy. Took all of 5 minutes to change all 8.

leeh2u
04-07-2008, 06:10 PM
Ok....ok....I'll go drip more blood on the carpet from the busted nuckles. I knew there wouldn't be an easy way!

TMCNo1
04-07-2008, 06:38 PM
I use a cheap thin wall spark plug socket on all but 2 and break them loose with a deep offset box end and screw them out by hand. I put a little Lubrimatic Corrosion Control and Wheel Bearing Grease on the threads of the plugs before inserting and after gapping and they screw in real easy and come our easy next time. No blood on my carpet, but it's red anyway!

JohnnyB
04-07-2008, 06:39 PM
Box end to break them loose if they are really tight. I've had success using a plug socket with a universal joint built-in...

BrianM
04-07-2008, 07:43 PM
Also rember that there is no need to crank them down real tight when putting them back in. Just slightly more than snug is plenty.

east tx skier
04-07-2008, 11:00 PM
That helps after you break them loose but you have to get them loose with the box end first.

On another note I just changed the plugs on my boat. Talk about easy. Took all of 5 minutes to change all 8.

I don't remember how I broke it the first time, but it wasn't the box wrench I used on the other six.

Notice I said "Indmar" Ford. Similar to the chevy, my current Ford doesn't have clearance issues, at least when it comes to the spark plugs. Nice to have plugs be a 5 minute job.

rob935
04-08-2008, 01:16 PM
all but two of the plugs are a problem , i bought a plug wrench with thin walls but crucially it has a universal joint which allows you to bend it in at an angle , any other way you run the risk of snapping a plug ...you dont want that to happen believe me , it also saves your knuckles too , most important eh !!

east tx skier
04-08-2008, 02:25 PM
all but two of the plugs are a problem , i bought a plug wrench with thin walls but crucially it has a universal joint which allows you to bend it in at an angle , any other way you run the risk of snapping a plug ...you dont want that to happen believe me , it also saves your knuckles too , most important eh !!

I only remember two plugs being a problem, but everyone's is a different experience I suppose. That wrench sounds like the ticket though.

rob935
04-09-2008, 01:42 PM
sorry meant to say all but two of the plugs are no problem...!! all the others are easy ...