PDA

View Full Version : Singing Propeller

G-force
04-07-2008, 03:10 PM
I replaced my propeller on my 2006 X-9 over the weekend with a new replacement from OJ. It is the same model, size and pitch as the original (12x12.5). This new propeller makes a sound that is similar to a finger on the edge of a wine glass at idle speed. The sound goes away at750-800 rpm.

I called OJ and they thought it sounded odd (it really does). They are sending a new prop.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? How does the sound go away? Could it be coming from some other drivetrain component?

TMCNo1
04-07-2008, 03:16 PM
My underwater gear (fins) sings (whines) from about 26 mph to around 34 mph when I've just polished them, but as it dulls/tarnishes after a couple weeks it goes away. I don't know about changing props though!

flipper
04-07-2008, 03:53 PM
I was wondering if it could be a bearing or bushing on the drive shaft? I guess it could be the prop, but I would get it checked out first before running it too much. Maybe put the old prop back on and see what happens.

jkski
04-07-2008, 04:24 PM
The prop on my 2005 sings and always has. The singing is caused by the CNC grooves that are cut into the prop.

bigmac
04-07-2008, 04:42 PM
I get this all the time since switching from my cast OJ that came on the boat to a CNC Acme a year or so ago. I've never paid much attention to it - I suspect it's one of the weird things that go along with a CNC prop, or it's the shaft bearing at the strut.

TMCNo1
04-07-2008, 06:36 PM
I just remembered, check your raw water pump impeller for wear. If it's worn, it will sing but it probably will not overheat yet and it sings at idle and it sounds like the sound is coming from the transmission. It has happened to me once and with 2 other owners we know and a new impeller stopped it. If the replacement prop from OJ still does it, change the impeller and please post here what happens!

Monte
04-07-2008, 06:44 PM
Mine has never done that and I am on my third prop.. I feel a little left out

TMCNo1
04-07-2008, 07:48 PM
What does yours sing, "One bent up prop on the wall, one bent up prop on the wall, take one down pass it around, one bent up prop on the wall. Two bent up props on the wall,............................................. ."?:D

Harvey
04-07-2008, 08:32 PM
What does yours sing, "One bent up prop on the wall, one bent up prop on the wall, take one down pass it around, one bent up prop on the wall. Two bent up props on the wall,............................................. ."?:D

GENIUS, I am dying from that one. Three props down, 97 left to go!!! :uglyhamme :toast:

G-force
04-07-2008, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the input. Inteesting theory on the raw water impeller as I repalced that this weekend as well. I guess I could test that by running the engine in neutral.

A little research shows that there a number of prop shops that offer services to correct the singing. They claim that a bevel on the trailing edge does it.

Hope the new OJ does it. Better than finding some other drive train damage.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
04-07-2008, 09:34 PM
I had the same thing with a stainless prop that was on my boat.....right down to the rpm range. The annoying noise went away when I switched to an Acme CNC. The stainless is now my spare.

88 PS190
04-07-2008, 09:44 PM
does it sound like a slalom fin after you pull out from the wakes?

G-force
04-08-2008, 09:45 AM
No, it sounds just like a wet finger running around the edge of a wine glass. A ringing noise. Annoying and loud enough to hear from in the water.

Monte
04-08-2008, 09:53 AM

Only one is bent.. Most likely from the underwater gremlins at or near Victorian Vlilla dock during CSM last year:confused: The other two are just fine;) But you are on track for a good song...:rolleyes:

tph
08-18-2009, 11:38 AM
No, it sounds just like a wet finger running around the edge of a wine glass. A ringing noise. Annoying and loud enough to hear from in the water.

I had the same experience with a rebuilt OJ Legend earlier this year. Someone on this board suggested filing the edge of the blades to square them up with the propulsion surface. Worked like a charm!.

TMCNo1
08-18-2009, 11:43 AM
If it sings good, try entering it in the next auditions for "American Idol"!:rolleyes::D