PDA

View Full Version : Little help from resident engine experts...

stuartmcnair
04-07-2008, 12:44 PM
On two occassions recently my truck has decided not to start. Only has happened after sitting a day without being driven. It turns over for a good bit, sputters then finally starts and has no problems after that. I maintain this truck meticulously and it always has fresh filters, plugs, oil and coolant. Runs like a top once it starts.

This is a vehicle that in 11 years has always started with barely a bump of the key.

What could be going out? Fuel pump maybe?

1997 Chevy K1500. Vortec engine.

Thanks for any suggestions.

jimmer2880
04-07-2008, 12:57 PM
How many miles are on it? Have you done a compression check?

TMCNo1
04-07-2008, 01:03 PM
EDIT, Nevermind, I see it sputters, then runs. Shouldn't be a starter issue!

stuartmcnair
04-07-2008, 01:04 PM
all that seems to be fine. Acting more like a fuel issue after it has been sitting up for a while. Just went outside and barely bumped the key and it fired right up.

454Prostar190
04-07-2008, 01:10 PM
Fuel pump sounds like the first place that I'd check. It sounds like you're losing your prime and the gasoline that is in the fuel line is draining back into the tank leaving the fuel line and injectors dry. The electric fuel pump assembly goes into the top of the tank and is a bit of a chore to install.

Hollywood
04-07-2008, 01:18 PM
Fuel pressure regulator. I'd put $10 on it.

Fairly common problem.

http://forums.automotive.com/70/6212666/engine/99-chevy-tahoe-hard-to-start-after-cooling-slightl/index.html

TMCNo1
04-07-2008, 01:20 PM
Reminds me of this girl I knew once who was hard to get started just like her old truck. I told her, "Choke it baby, Choke it"! Worked every time, but with EFI it's different now, computers, electric fuel pumps, filters, sensors, etc.!

454Prostar190
04-07-2008, 01:36 PM
Fuel pressure regulator. I'd put $10 on it.

Fairly common problem.

http://forums.automotive.com/70/6212666/engine/99-chevy-tahoe-hard-to-start-after-cooling-slightl/index.html

Hollywood,
This is a pretty good hook up:) Looks like you got it solved!:D

Prostar Rich
04-07-2008, 01:41 PM
On two occassions recently my truck has decided not to start. Only has happened after sitting a day without being driven. It turns over for a good bit, sputters then finally starts and has no problems after that. I maintain this truck meticulously and it always has fresh filters, plugs, oil and coolant. Runs like a top once it starts.

This is a vehicle that in 11 years has always started with barely a bump of the key.

What could be going out? Fuel pump maybe?

1997 Chevy K1500. Vortec engine.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I had the same problem on a 1995 that had the vortec engine. Turned out to be the fuel pump. Had the same symptons that you described.
Do you have a fuel pressure guage that you could hook up to get a reading? You should be able to hook the gauge to the schrader valve.

Prostar Rich

Diesel
04-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Try putting you foot to the floor next time and see if it starts up. This engine was notorious for the injector poppets leaking after shut down and filling the intake with fuel while loosing residual fuel pressure.

I have a 97 Suburban and had the same problem and swapped out the poppet injection system with a GM MPI system per the Cal. recall.

Here is a link to some info.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-106345.html

sdesmond
04-07-2008, 01:48 PM
My dad had a 97 with a vortec as well and I remember he had to have the fuel pump changed. It was doing the same thing yours is doing now.

Ski-me
04-07-2008, 01:51 PM
If it does it again, get a rubber hammer and give the gas tank a few wacks. If it then starts up, chances are the fuel pump in the gas tank is bad. It's an all day adventure but you can save some serious dollars if you do it yourself. I did it on my suburban and was able to talk the wife into a floor jack to do the work. Including the pump and jack, I saved about $200+.:D

454Prostar190
04-07-2008, 02:05 PM
I had the same problem on a 1995 that had the vortec engine. Turned out to be the fuel pump. Had the same symptons that you described.
Do you have a fuel pressure guage that you could hook up to get a reading? You should be able to hook the gauge to the schrader valve.

Prostar Rich

My lowered '95 1500 has whatever engine was before the Vortec. I thought that '96 was the first year of the Vortec. Maybe I'm wrong:o Rick

Ski-me
04-07-2008, 02:11 PM
95' they changed the dashboard significantly and 96' the Vortec was released.

454Prostar190
04-07-2008, 02:51 PM
95' they changed the dashboard significantly and 96' the Vortec was released.

I have the newer dashboard. So, maybe I am totally wrong:o

Diesel
04-07-2008, 05:31 PM
I have the newer dashboard. So, maybe I am totally wrong:o

You are right.......95 was a TBI engine. GM switched to the SFI Vortec's in 1996.

sdesmond
04-07-2008, 05:46 PM
If it does it again, get a rubber hammer and give the gas tank a few wacks. If it then starts up, chances are the fuel pump in the gas tank is bad. It's an all day adventure but you can save some serious dollars if you do it yourself. I did it on my suburban and was able to talk the wife into a floor jack to do the work. Including the pump and jack, I saved about $200+.:D

He paid around $600 for them to do it so doing it yourself is a signifigant savings.

bobbyB
04-07-2008, 06:55 PM

If you've got a P/U I'd consider taking the bed off the truck before dropping the tank. That's what I did on my '96. Actually didn't have to remove the bed.....lifted it up enough to swing the front end over enough to access the top of the fuel tank. Word to the wise: Note how the pump orientates in the tank as you take it apart. I just yanked it out and it took me forever to figure out how it went back in.

stuartmcnair
04-07-2008, 09:46 PM
Thanks everyone. I will start with the fuel pressure regulator and if that doesn't get it I will take it to my trusty mechanic.

Diesel
04-08-2008, 10:21 AM
Thanks everyone. I will start with the fuel pressure regulator and if that doesn't get it I will take it to my trusty mechanic.

If you are going to get that deep into the intake you might as well replace the fuel injection spider the with MPI version listed in the link above. It will come with a new regulator already installed and all you will have to do is swap out spiders. Trust me you only want to take off that upper intake once..........