PDA

View Full Version : Unable to Remove Raw Water Pump

boofer
04-07-2008, 06:18 AM
The boat is a 2005 X-2 with the MCX engine.

I am trying to remove my raw water pump so that I can replace the impeller. Due to the millimeters of clearance between the impeller cover and the muffler, my only option is to remove the entire pump.

I have removed the 3 bolts on the flywheel and the 1 bolt on the bottom of the pump that goes to the bracket. The pump will not budge one bit. I tried tapping on it with a hammer in hopes that would break any sort of seal and this did not work. I have tried WD40; no luck.

I would appreciate any and all suggestions. PLEASE!

TMCNo1
04-07-2008, 06:56 AM
Have you tried a rubber hammer or a dead blow hammer?

bigmac
04-07-2008, 09:06 AM
I agree that some tapping is in order. The concern with that is that too much force on the pump body, such as from hitting it too hard with a dead-blow hammer can damage the seal at the rear of the pump. The only way one would know that that has happened is if it leaks after it's reinstalled. Maybe it would work better to hit the flange with a long drift rather than hitting the pump body. Or, maybe someone else has some direct experience with disengaging recalcitrant pump bodies.

trickskier
04-07-2008, 09:29 AM
It might be easier to to take the hoses off the exhaust risers so that you can move the muffler out of the way.

boofer
04-07-2008, 02:39 PM
I have tried a dead blow hammer. I have only tapped the pump for fear of damaging the pump or the rear seal. I tried a dead blow hammer. The booger is just plain stuck. I am going to go out here in a sec and try tapping the plate itself. Plus, it has had all night with WD40 on it. We'll see.

I would remove the exhaust hoses from the manifolds trickskier. I have another post running about replacing the impeller in light of the muffler obstruction. I mentioned that I had attempted to remove these hoses without any luck. I would certainly appreciate any hints about how to remove these since it appears that I might have to do this at some point.

Dang bigmac, using those big words in here could lead people to think you might be smart....."recalcitrant". I appreciate all of your help in this matter. Check back to my other post because I have an update from Mike at Charlotte.

boofer
04-07-2008, 06:34 PM
I managed to get my impeller changed.

But, for history sake, it would be nice if someone were to come up with a good idea to solve this problem. I am sure that others will encounter this problem, in the future.

trickskier
04-08-2008, 08:46 AM
I would remove the exhaust hoses from the manifolds trickskier. I have another post running about replacing the impeller in light of the muffler obstruction. I mentioned that I had attempted to remove these hoses without any luck. I would certainly appreciate any hints about how to remove these since it appears that I might have to do this at some point.
The exhaust hoses can get seated on manifolds over a period of time. You need some tools like the ones below to get between the hose and the manifold to break the seat.

Glad to hear you finally tackled the situation.............:D

boofer
04-11-2008, 07:57 PM
Thanks. I LOVE your quote!!! The one about quitting. :rolleyes:

GO VOLS!!!!!

agarabaghi
07-11-2011, 04:02 PM
what did you have to do to remove the pump. I think I am about to tackle this. Did you remove the pump without removing the silent master ?