PDA

View Full Version : Fluids and water in Tranny

VOLFAN
04-06-2008, 07:39 PM
OK .... I know there may be other threads like this, but here it goes anyway....

I am getting ready to change my fluids and it looks like Penzoil 15w40 was used so I guess I will stick with that. I am guessing that was used in the tranny and engine. Do you guys recommenda something differect?

Also it looks like there has been water in the tranny? From what I have read I should drain it and change it a couple or few times and see if it goes away. If it doesn't go away what are the problems that could be casing this? SHould I just get a service guy to check it out or go through with changing it to see if it goes away.

The guy I bought the boat from said it was serviced every 50 hours.

The boat is a 2003 X2 with the indmar engine and it is v-drive.

Thanks for all the help in adavnce! I am wanting to get this thing on the lake next weekend since i have been looking at since Jan. when I bought it!

ShamrockIV
04-06-2008, 07:42 PM
yeah i hope these guyz can help u out VOLFAN!!!

that way we can ride in ur boat next weekend!!!

sure was a good day on the lake today in MID TN!

flipper
04-06-2008, 07:55 PM
About the only advice I have is DON'T USE PENZOIL!!!!Other than that, sounds like you're on the right track. Not sure about what kind of tranny oil on the v-drives though, may want to double check that

ShamrockIV
04-06-2008, 07:56 PM
i use rotella most of the time VOLFAN.

VOLFAN
04-06-2008, 09:22 PM
Why not Penzoil? MasterCraft recommends Penzoil....

http://www.mastercraft.com/index.php?znfAction=ContactUsForm&contactWith_f=Warranty

If not Penzoil what should I use? I just got back from buying 3 gal of Penzoil...

Hrkdrivr
04-06-2008, 09:44 PM
Volfan, the owner's manual for my boat says to use Penzoil 15w40 too. The tranny manual says something different so I checked w/the dealer who sold me the boat and he said to use the Penzoil. He said the motor oil made the tranny quieter than if you use transmission fluid so that's why MC switched.

Flipper, why so adamant about not using Penzoil?

flipper
04-06-2008, 10:43 PM
I've torn down motors after Pennzoil had been used for the engines life, and they were all gummed up. Talked to many people, including people who all they do is study this stuff, and they have said the same thing, that Pennzoil is about the most dirty oil money can buy. Quaker, Castrol, and Mobil are supposed to be the cleanest for the engine in the long run. But this has started many debates on here, so you're probably about to hear all kinds of different things on different oils. That is just my opinion based on what I've seen, and talking to people who know a whole lot about the make up of the different oils than I ever will.

VOLFAN
04-06-2008, 10:54 PM
Thanks for all the advice... Keep it comin'

Where could the water be comig from and why?

Is there a chance it is just condensation from being stored over the winter?

flipper
04-06-2008, 10:57 PM
There was a few threads on here about this before. If I remember right, it had something to do with the cooling lines leaking. Do a search on water in the tranny. I'll see if I can find the link

VOLFAN
04-06-2008, 11:00 PM
What is the best way to change the tranny fluid?

I am guess suck it out through the dip stick???

lanier92prostar
04-06-2008, 11:03 PM
That's the way I do it with just like changing the oil. The only problem I have found is that you don't get all the oil fluid out of the transmission.

88 PS190
04-07-2008, 12:13 AM
What is the best way to change the tranny fluid?

I am guess suck it out through the dip stick???

Ya that's how its done, just get a vaccume suction machine, you'll use it, also nice for oil changes in cars etc. I suck most of it out the top before I pull the plug so it doesn't spray all over me.

bigmac
04-07-2008, 12:19 AM
Pennzoil is fine. Any of the 15W40 oils that meet the API service classification CJ-4/SJ will be fine.

There's nothing magic about Pennzoil. Indmar and MasterCraft recommend it because of a marketing agreement, but it has nothing to do with quality. Don't spend a moment's effort worrying about the brand of oil you use. They are all the same, all high quality as long as they meet or exceed the API service classification that Indmar recommends

The above isn't true about oil filters, however. The PZ-3 that they recommend is made by Fram, and isn't such a great filter. A better choice would be a Wix 51069 or NAPA Gold 1069 (same filter).

drbesvold1
04-07-2008, 12:53 AM
Flipper What Do U Think Of Amzoil Products?

bigmac
04-07-2008, 01:11 AM
I've torn down motors after Pennzoil had been used for the engines life, and they were all gummed up. Talked to many people, including people who all they do is study this stuff, and they have said the same thing, that Pennzoil is about the most dirty oil money can buy. Quaker, Castrol, and Mobil are supposed to be the cleanest for the engine in the long run. But this has started many debates on here, so you're probably about to hear all kinds of different things on different oils. That is just my opinion based on what I've seen, and talking to people who know a whole lot about the make up of the different oils than I ever will.

Sorry flipper. No offense meant but I have to call horse-puckey on this one. Lubricating oil formulation and packaging has been my family's business for over 60 years. My summer jobs in high school were in the lab doing the scut work for the chemists doing API submissions and used-oil analysis.

The only significant difference between the brands of modern oils is the amount of hype in their marketing.

TMCNo1
04-07-2008, 10:03 AM
I agree with Bigmac!
It has been published that the early engine oils that originated in the NE/Pennsylvania oil fields like Quaker State, Wolf's Head, Pennzoil, etc., had a parffin wax base, but not today. Very little crude if any comes from there now, cause the supply has all but been pumped out and basically all oils today are the same except for the marketing. The pariffin wax would solidify and gum up most any engine. Today they are all formulated with the same additives for specific uses and viscosities, by the oil industry and vehicle/engine manufacturer recommendations.
Bigmac

KnoxX2
04-07-2008, 10:13 AM
This ia all great info!

But waht about the Tranny? Are you saying to use motor oil?

ShamrockIV
04-07-2008, 10:24 AM
my last boat had 20 or 20 weight not 10w20 or 10w30 just 30w like from TSC in the tranny!!

TMCNo1
04-07-2008, 10:34 AM
my last boay had 20 or 20 weight not 10w20 or 10w30 just 30w like from TSC in the tranny!!

Would you like to expand on that statement? What are you saying?

bigmac
04-07-2008, 10:38 AM
I agree with Bigmac!
It has been published that the early engine oils that originated in the NE/Pennsylvania oil fields like Quaker State, Wolf's Head, Pennzoil, etc., had a parffin wax base, but not today. Very little crude if any comes from there now, cause the supply has all but been pumped out and basically all oils today are the same except for the marketing. The pariffin wax would solidify and gum up most any engine. Today they are all formulated with the same additives for specific uses and viscosities, by the oil industry and vehicle/engine manufacturer recommendations.
Bigmac
Harold is exactly correct - not many people know that. There was a time when Pennsylvania crude was highly prized because engines of the time were much simpler, and the concept of viscosity index was unknown - the high paraffin content was prized...but that hasn't been true for many, many decades. Virtually of the oils meeting CJ-4/SL are group II base stocks that have been catalytically refined ("cat-cracking", hydrogen iso-dewaxing"). As a result, they are about as shear-stable as PAO-based (fully synthetic) oils.

The 630V ZF Hurth V-drives can use the same 15W40 engine oil that Indmar recommends for our engines. Or, you can use Dexron III or IV, or Mercon. Indmar switched to recommending 15W40 in that transmission in about 2002 in response to complaints about rattling at idle. It wasn't a functional problem, strictly cosmetic, but it was cured by using 15W40, apparently.

ShamrockIV
04-07-2008, 10:40 AM
my last boat had a tag on the tranny that said use sae 20w-20. that is what i used in it.

bigmac
04-07-2008, 10:41 AM
my last boat had 20 or 20 weight not 10w20 or 10w30 just 30w like from TSC in the tranny!!Walthers V-drives, which was the V-drive unit attached to a Hurth inline transmission back in the day before the ZF Hurth V-drives, did indeed use SAE 30 oil, while the Hurth transmission it was attached to called for Dexron.