PDA

View Full Version : Took ya'lls advice and replaced old Holley with 4160, but now...

GregBR549
04-06-2008, 06:40 PM
I was having idling problems. Ya'll told me to replace my old piece of crap holley on my '93 indmar prostar with a 4160. I got a used one and just got it on. It idled perfect. Just like a kitten. But,, I have a leak at arrow #1 in the pic. How do I fix this? Also, I broke off the J tube/vent/whatchamacallit off. See arrow #2. How do I fix this? Or does it really need fixing? I have one on the old carb I took off. Is there anyway I can get it off and use it?

oh, one more thing. The electric choke, does it matter how I hook it up polarity wise?
thanks
greg

88 PS190
04-06-2008, 06:42 PM
J tube is required so you don't burn your boat up... it is afterall part of a marine carb.

GregBR549
04-06-2008, 06:51 PM
oops, here is the pic

viabill
04-06-2008, 07:03 PM
Aerospace engineer, huh? :-)

The leak can be fixed with JB Weld. Just remove the fuel line, drain all fuel from the carb fuel inlet, clean it thoroughly with brake cleaner, sand the steel insert disc and the aluminum that has been swaged up around the disc (use 120 - 220 grit) and apply JB Weld to the whole top of the disc and overlap it around the aluminum.

Let it cure overnight and you'll be ready to go. Check it when you first start it up to make sure you had the leak source identified correctly, then again after it warms up each time you take it out for the first few times.

The tube is pressed into the airhorn, so you might be able to wiggle them out and make the swap.

TMCNo1
04-06-2008, 07:29 PM
Whatever you do, take the carb off the boat to work on it. you don't want unwanted pieces of anything falling into the carb and down into the intake/intake passages/valves and cylinders, especially during the J tube replacement.