PDA

View Full Version : Educate me on 1984 Ski Supreme?

dichdoc
04-05-2008, 06:58 PM
Local paper has an 84 ski supreme that "needs some work" for $1500.00. Any knowledge of them I have none. Wood stringers etc. I'm thinking a mild refurb and resale. TB

Jim@BAWS
04-05-2008, 07:10 PM
Contact the SKI SUPREME OWNERS site...oh ya that's right there isn't one

STAY CLEAR THINK MASTERCRAFT

Slinkyredfoot
04-05-2008, 07:26 PM
I would doubt you would find very many people here that could educate you about a Ski Supreme.

On the other hand, I would bet there are a lot of good people here that could educate you about MasterCrafts...

TNH2oSkier
04-05-2008, 09:15 PM
They were made about 25 miles from each other. Wood stringers, floor, I think PCM motors, very flat hull. They were a copy of the MC, but not a good one or they would still be in business.

rhsprostar
04-05-2008, 09:16 PM
My buddy has one. Small wake............. big rooster tail!
Wood stringers are are problem area. Rubber dash surround desintigrates in the sun. Wood floor, watch out. Tough starting without a gear reduction starter. Watch out for leaky exhaust manifolds.
Actually not that bad a slalom boat once you get short enough that the rooster tail is not an issue. Huge spray out the sides also.
$1500 sounds cheap but watch out for potential big problems especially with the stringers.

bkhallpass
04-05-2008, 09:39 PM
They were made about 25 miles from each other. Wood stringers, floor, I think PCM motors, very flat hull. They were a copy of the MC, but not a good one or they would still be in business.

They are still in business.

I would check carefully what the market value is for those boats. I believe the value to be only $4-7K (ICBW). How much time and money you will need to put into it, will tell you if it worth the investment for a flip. Certainly there are other boats with higher market value which may be better investments for a flip.

BKH

SchuyHigh
04-05-2008, 10:07 PM
Take your $1500 and your allowance for the rehab and find you a nice, older MC.

"Houses are for flipping, boats are a lifestyle."

dichdoc
04-05-2008, 10:23 PM
I'm actually pretty dissapointed with some of those posts! I have an 84 MC, I've been a member of this site for a long time, I know this site has the most educated inboard people in the world and they will be happy to share their knowledge, unfortunately I will have to wade through some useless posts my favorite that wasn't posted yet being, "Do a search! We've talked about that before" To those of you with actual helpful information I thank you and I apologize for the rant but I'm trying to up my post count!

ski_king
04-05-2008, 11:28 PM
If I was you, I would go look at it. Something tells me, it will need a lot of work. They had a lot of wood in them and the construction was not MasterCraft standards.

Who knows, maybe you can pick it up for $1000, replace the stringers, floor upolestry, fix the gelcoat, rebuild the engine and transmission and flip it and get the full $2000 value out of the boat.

That being said. I know someone who has a 80(ish) Ski Seville (small version of the ski supreme) and it is one sweet boat. I like the styling and teak trim. (Think TMCNo.1 wood maintaince)

tex
04-05-2008, 11:43 PM
I had an 80 ski supreme and loved it. I had no $$$ but it was my boat. wood stringers and floors but no big deal to fix. They will always turn a buck. Drove great, great slalom wake and not a bad wakeboard wake when weight added. Not a MC but a fun boat for the $$$$.

Chas
04-05-2008, 11:44 PM
How do you check the stringers for rot? Especially if you are looking over a boat prior to purchase?

Thanks.

rhsprostar
04-05-2008, 11:57 PM
Check around the motormounts, where they are screwed/bolted to the stringers. Anywhere water could penetrate the fibreglass covering the wood. Use something like a key and push hard in those areas to see if there are any soft or punky spots. For the floor check the screws holding the driver seat to the floor. Are they tight? Can you turn them easily or are they stripped?

kpickett
04-06-2008, 12:05 AM
A guy at my club has an 85 Supreme. I ski behind it now and then. As mentioned, it has a pretty big rooster tail, and the wake is pretty hard. But hey, if you keep your ski on edge, you're just fine.

If memory serves, Supreme got into some legal trouble with MC for using some old prostar molds. I think the Supremes of that era are pretty much copies of the MCs of the same era.

My buddy's boat is a pretty nice boat. I'd ignore the nay-sayers. If you want a project, it would be a fun one. You're not going to make a bunch of money, but that's not why we're into boats. I'd do it.

JLeuck64
04-06-2008, 12:34 AM
Slight thread jack but I couldn't resist.

Been thinking it would be kind of cool to pick up and older tourny boat as a fixer up project. But, not in the same way as Dichdoc was thinking. A few folks have been successfully converting cars to run on batteries for years now. Why not try the same type of conversion with a boat???

uawaterskier
04-06-2008, 01:50 AM
Slight thread jack but I couldn't resist.

Been thinking it would be kind of cool to pick up and older tourny boat as a fixer up project. But, not in the same way as Dichdoc was thinking. A few folks have been successfully converting cars to run on batteries for years now. Why not try the same type of conversion with a boat???
alright you tree hungin hippy...we like big V8's to pull skiers out of the water. But if you could get an eletric motor that could get a 250lbs slalom skier out of the water, then I "MIGHT" take interest. Maybe

ski_king
04-06-2008, 07:48 AM
alright you tree hungin hippy...we like big V8's to pull skiers out of the water. But if you could get an eletric motor that could get a 250lbs slalom skier out of the water, then I "MIGHT" take interest. Maybe
hmmmm, maybe you need to check this boat (http://www.boesch-boats.ch/boats/series-560/560-sundeck-electric-power/560-sundeck-electric-power/) out. But they do admit it is only useful for trick skiing.

dichdoc
04-06-2008, 08:59 AM
Great info guys you have renewed my faith in the TEAM!

JohnnyB
04-06-2008, 09:07 AM
Ski behind one of these occasionally....its a smaller boat which throws a pretty good wake overall.

Astonishing amount of wood.

It's all going to depend on how the boat was kept.....if it was garage kept and used regularly, you'll probably find something workable. If it was used occasionally, put away wet and tarped/kept in the yard or worse yet not tarped and kept in the yard you will probalby find lots of rot, etc.

If you look at it, take lots of pics....post 'em and seek advice of those on the site that have done refurbs.

You may also do a search and see if there is a market for used Supremes and what they are going for....you may find this a labor intensive venture that wouldn't make you much $$ in the end.

Keep us updated as you progress.

DBR
04-06-2008, 11:32 AM
I owned a 1982 Ski Supreme. I was 3rd owner, kept it for 10 yrs prior to MC. Sold it in 05 for $4500. It was in mint condition. Floor was replaced, new interior, 350 chev, an option, Great ski boat, fun to drive,smooth water needed. The Ski Supreme of today is not the same company that made the older ones, not sure why. Great boat for the $$. Skidim has most mechanical parts. Good Luck.

rodltg2
04-06-2008, 01:11 PM
supreme is now owned by the same company as centurion now.

justinglow
04-06-2008, 02:29 PM
supreme is now owned by the same company as centurion now.

Would that be Fineline Industries?

ski_king
04-06-2008, 03:49 PM
Kal Kustom Enterprises = Supreme
Fineline Industries = Centurion

88 PS190
04-06-2008, 04:33 PM
Why not try the same type of conversion with a boat???

You will find that for a ski boat the technology just isn't there, lots of battery weight, and in boats there is constant load, no coast etc.

Picture whenever you are running the boat as driving up a steep hill, that requires alot of juice.

And the battery/motor combo will weigh more than a V8 and a tank of fuel.

So, better in something like a cruiser, or a pontoon where performance does not need to be so high.

rodltg2
04-06-2008, 05:07 PM
Kal Kustom Enterprises = Supreme
Fineline Industries = Centurion

Kal Kustoms is a distributor, not a manufacturer.Kal Kustoms controls the sales and distribution of Sanger Boats, Ski Centurion, and several other boat lines. Centurion and Supreme are made in the same factory. Different name design etc... but built by the same people..

ski_king
04-06-2008, 07:50 PM
Thanks Rod, I thought they were connected also, but stumbled pmto the Kal Kustom name.

I think the Supreme name has been sold a few times since that 84 was built.
At one time Supreme was the No. 1 inboard boat in the Pittsburgh area. The dealer was really moving them and there wasn't another manufacture in the local market.