PDA

View Full Version : Don't FORGET YOUR PLUG !!!

Jim@BAWS
04-04-2008, 10:50 PM
Don't FORGET YOUR PLUG!!!

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?Uc=jwovkyt.3c1yapmh&Uy=nvins4&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode3Dfromshare&Ux=0&UV=877464022155_667492953209&mode=fromshare&conn_speed=1

KnoxX2
04-04-2008, 10:58 PM
Daaaaam that sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lennyp04
04-04-2008, 11:26 PM
I like how in the fourth pic everyone looks clueless as to why the stern of the boat gets progressivley lower

puck_11
04-04-2008, 11:36 PM
Ha! I was going to write, been there done that, until I looked at the pictures, ouch. My buddy says that a lot of outboards have plugs that you can only put in from the outside of the boat.

erkoehler
04-04-2008, 11:39 PM
Ha! I was going to write, been there done that, until I looked at the pictures, ouch. My buddy says that a lot of outboards have plugs that you can only put in from the outside of the boat.

Yes, but at some point you think the owner or someone would jump in the water to put the plug in the boat.

flipper
04-04-2008, 11:44 PM
Yes, but at some point you think the owner or someone would jump in the water to put the plug in the boat.

That's what I was thinking....that sucks!!!!

6ballsisall
04-04-2008, 11:44 PM
Erk hit the nail on the head. Been there done that in an I/O. You get out and go swimming and put the plug in. But DON"T DROP IT!!!!

erkoehler
04-04-2008, 11:47 PM
Erk hit the nail on the head. Been there done that in an I/O. You get out and go swimming and put the plug in. But DON"T DROP IT!!!!

Or, floor it and don't stop until you have a solution or trailer standing by.

TheOneandOnly
04-04-2008, 11:55 PM
time to get an inboard :)

uawaterskier
04-05-2008, 01:59 AM
yeah if its on plane it wont take in much water depending on where the plug is at (usually the back isn't it?) Some people and boats makes you wonder:D

dpolen
04-05-2008, 07:04 AM
I sure hope there were other issues for that boat sinking other than a lack of a plug...some people have no business boating. Wide Open Throttle all the way back to the ramp or to the closest beach for an afternoon swim to put the plug in.

ProTour X9
04-05-2008, 08:10 AM
Guess they overdid it on the ballast!;) :rolleyes: :D

ShamrockIV
04-05-2008, 08:25 AM
man if u have ever left it out once u will never do it again!!
if u haven't yet, u will someday!!

T Scott
04-05-2008, 08:41 AM
I sure hope there were other issues for that boat sinking other than a lack of a plug...some people have no business boating. Wide Open Throttle all the way back to the ramp or to the closest beach for an afternoon swim to put the plug in.

You hit the nail on the head. That boat looks like a 30 foot Donzi ZF. I used to have the exact same boat and there are only two entry points for water on that boat, the plug in the rear and the intake for the live well. My guess is the hose for the live well intake came off and that was the point of intrusion. The hole for the intake is about two inches round and is located about 5 feet fromthe back of the boat so even having the boat in gear moving forward will not help. If it was simply the plug, the forward movement you see in the first few pictures would have assisited in draing. Also, the bilge pumps should be able to keep up with a missing plug. My Donzi had twin 1100gph pumps. IMO something else definitely went wrong here other than a missing plug.

JohnnyB
04-05-2008, 08:48 AM
Last year when we set up the club's slalom course, we piled all of the buoys and gear into one of the club members boats.....he and I barely fit with all the stuff in their. We stopped at a dock and met up with the group that was helping us. We then started heading up river and got about a mile-and-a-half up the three mile stretch when he put his coffee cup in the cup holder on top of the plug :eek:

When I opened the motor cover, the water was almost even with the floor.....we managed to thread the plug and took a 1/2 hour coffee and tunes break while the bilge pump worked OT.

I will never laugh at anyone who does this as its bound to happen to me someday, too.

shepherd
04-05-2008, 09:12 AM
Unless there was some major structural damage, I wonder why they couldn't stop the leak. Even if a livewell hose popped off, plug it up! Stupidity? Or am I just missing something here?

TX.X-30 fan
04-05-2008, 10:06 AM

I was thinking the same thing, never looked like they tried to crank it and haul. Rather get mine off the beach that where it is now?

flipper
04-05-2008, 10:51 AM
Regardless of the cause, the water is probably a safer place without them on it. If that were my boat, I would have found some kind of way to get the leak to stop.

jimmer2880
04-05-2008, 11:00 AM
Regardless of the cause, the water is probably a safer place without them on it. If that were my boat, I would have found some kind of way to get the leak to stop.

I'm pretty sure a bikini top would have done just the trick :D

wakeX2wake
04-05-2008, 11:31 AM
had it happen to me but we kept the boat afloat... '93 maristar 225vrs the exit hose on the exhaust manifold came off and was filling and filling fast... i noticed something was up due to the front ridiing really high in the water so we raised the engine cover and all we could see was water around the engine and a 5 min ride at top speed back to the trailer... there was so much water back there we couldn't tell anything... so... we kept the boat at a nice speed trying to muster back to the dock unknowingly filling the boat back up w/ water... we had no idea where it was coming from but the boat still ran well just taking on massive amount of water as i was watching the gages like a hawk... when we finally got to the boat ramp to put it on the trailer and slowed the boat down water came up through the floor board... yeah i completely freaked out but when we got it home and let all the water drain and did some investigating we found out what was happening

ski_king
04-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Poor guy, .................

Forgot the plugs in my MC once. I was out of my normal routine and didnt notice at first. I was waiting for my driver to park the car and trailer andf hop in the boat when I noticed my cooleer was floating in the back of the boat.

I quickly got the center bilge plug in, but my boat also has a transom plug and by that time my platform was well below water level. Of course I managed to drop it in the process of putting it in. At least the bilge pump almost kept up with it.

managed to get the boat out and drained, but it took a while....

Now I always check and double check and have extra plugs in the boat.

LKNMC
04-05-2008, 11:49 AM
WOW someone had a bad day there

Bellinghamster
04-05-2008, 12:05 PM
I've started on that path twice with different boats... once I forgot to put in the plug in an OB boat while heading out for a ski - no big deal other than the anxiety of my passengers. The other time I had an exhaust hose come off the second engine in my 32' Tolly (we were only running on the other engine at the time, so didn't notice until we started "wallowing"... we were out in a snowstorm at the time and it was getting dark - could have ended rather poorly). Both times some quick thinking, investigation of "where's the water coming from" and creatitive "damage control" saved it. The boat in the pics was in warm water, sunny, calm conditions - I can't believe someone wouldn't have hopped in the water and plugged any opening they could find that had "suction". Second choice would be a run for the beach.

I recently sailed across the Pacific with my wife and kids (PNW to New Zealand) - let me tell you, I mentally ran through every concievable leak scenarios and how to deal with it many times over...

I'm a firm believer in having an accessable seacock on every hull penetration, or at least tapered wooden plugs on board for every hose / throughhull opening size.

wakechic2786
04-05-2008, 12:36 PM
Yeah, I've been there too! I had an outboard ski boat and went for a day on the lake with about 3 or 4 other girls, one which was a rather large woman. I backed it off the trailer and tied off at the dock. Seeing how I was the only one there that had a clue about boating, I got out and pulled the truck up the hill. Mean while they are already pilled in the boat. I walk back down the hill and hop in, untie, and start idleing out when one of the girls said in a panic WE ARE TAKING ON WATER! So, I grabbed the plug out of the dash and jumped in and swam under and stuck it in. After I got all the water drained out, I couldn't stop laughing at all the chicks on the boat that were freakin out! I was pretty calm cause I knew what the problem was but they had no clue! They thought we were going under. Needless to say I started double checking after that day!

atlfootr
04-24-2008, 06:32 PM
Don't FORGET YOUR PLUG!!!
Is that what you told the guy, before or after he left your shop?
Truely a Kodak moment --PRICELESS :D

Thought I saw another thread, regarding said same ....

atlfootr
04-24-2008, 06:39 PM
Yeah, I've been there too! I had an outboard ski boat and went for a day on the lake with about 3 or 4 other girls, one which was a rather large woman. I backed it off the trailer and tied off at the dock. Seeing how I was the only one there that had a clue about boating, I got out and pulled the truck up the hill. Mean while they are already pilled in the boat. I walk back down the hill and hop in, untie, and start idleing out when one of the girls said in a panic WE ARE TAKING ON WATER! So, I grabbed the plug out of the dash and jumped in and swam under and stuck it in. After I got all the water drained out, I couldn't stop laughing at all the chicks on the boat that were freakin out! I was pretty calm cause I knew what the problem was but they had no clue! They thought we were going under. Needless to say I started double checking after that day!That's hilarious, what a great to impress the chicks.
That'll be a day, they'll never forget :uglyhamme

BriEOD
04-25-2008, 04:01 AM
Scary stuff...I agree with Tom's assessment. Additionally, being a lake/river boater provides more of a security blanket than being an offshore boater. With few exceptions, you're never to far from a bank/shore in a river/lake.

Chief
04-25-2008, 06:14 AM
Yeah, I've been there too! I had an outboard ski boat and went for a day on the lake with about 3 or 4 other girls, one which was a rather large woman. I backed it off the trailer and tied off at the dock. Seeing how I was the only one there that had a clue about boating, I got out and pulled the truck up the hill. Mean while they are already pilled in the boat. I walk back down the hill and hop in, untie, and start idleing out when one of the girls said in a panic WE ARE TAKING ON WATER! So, I grabbed the plug out of the dash and jumped in and swam under and stuck it in. After I got all the water drained out, I couldn't stop laughing at all the chicks on the boat that were freakin out! I was pretty calm cause I knew what the problem was but they had no clue! They thought we were going under. Needless to say I started double checking after that day!

Good on ya! It usually only takes once to forget and then you seem to remember to check for the plug at least twice before you launch. Where the "rather large women" your ballast?

Maristar210
04-25-2008, 08:17 AM

That's what I was thinking.

"Hey I guess we'll just get off now huh?"

They sell boats to anyone, even morons.

DanC
04-25-2008, 01:59 PM
I'd bet money that since the pictures show the boat continuing to take on water even after the "pros" arrived on the scene, that this was more than a forgotten plug (as previously mentioned)

Sodar
04-25-2008, 02:04 PM
I'd bet money that since the pictures show the boat continuing to take on water even after the "pros" arrived on the scene, that this was more than a forgotten plug (as previously mentioned)

Agreed!

Looks like it was more than just a plug, plus the motors were still running, so if it was indeed the plug, you could just get the boat up on plane and clear some water out. Most bilge pumps on a 28+ foot center console can keep up with a missing plug, anyday.... until the batteries run out! :D

Gonzo
04-25-2008, 04:00 PM
Hope the tied a long rope to it so they could find it later...

gwpowell
04-25-2008, 05:45 PM
Some buddies of mine were taking a 197 out of the water after a day skiing. Low tide so they had to put the trailer in further than normal which ran it of the concrete ramp. When they were trying to pull the trailer and boat out the wheels could not get back up onto the concrete so the car driver kept reversing and powering forward to try to jump it up. The boat was filling with water fast and they had no idea why. Panicing the driver continued in a hasterly fashion to reverse and power forward in an attempt get the boat and trailer out. They finally got the boat out with water up to the seats.

After searching the motor for dislodged hoses and the hull for cracks to no avail they finally realized the entry point of the water.

Anyone know the cause yet?

After a sleepless night the owner realized, as the driver reversed the trailer back with the boat attached the water ran over the boarding platform and into the air vents each time filling the boat with water and making it heavier and progressively more difficult to get out. At the time they had no idea why the boat was filling with water and were panicking going in and out and only making the problem worse.

A lesson learnt!

Sodar
04-25-2008, 06:00 PM
Some buddies of mine were taking a 197 out of the water after a day skiing. Low tide so they had to put the trailer in further than normal which ran it of the concrete ramp. When they were trying to pull the trailer and boat out the wheels could not get back up onto the concrete so the car driver kept reversing and powering forward to try to jump it up. The boat was filling with water fast and they had no idea why. Panicing the driver continued in a hasterly fashion to reverse and power forward in an attempt get the boat and trailer out. They finally got the boat out with water up to the seats.

After searching the motor for dislodged hoses and the hull for cracks to no avail they finally realized the entry point of the water.

Anyone know the cause yet?

After a sleepless night the owner realized, as the driver reversed the trailer back with the boat attached the water ran over the boarding platform and into the air vents each time filling the boat with water and making it heavier and progressively more difficult to get out. At the time they had no idea why the boat was filling with water and were panicking going in and out and only making the problem worse.

A lesson learnt!

Same thing had me puzzled for my few launches! I could not figure out where the water was coming from! I finally realized that with angle of my ramp, the water was pouring into the vents. It annoys me now, because I get the bilge all shiny and waxed, only for it to be full of water before I even get the boat off the trailer!

Chas
04-25-2008, 06:44 PM
I had an outboard which we had no business taking out to the Islands - 20 miles of basically open water off Santa Barbara - and after one long night of diving for lobster we came in happy and exhausted at about 4 am. The plug had worked out somewhere coming back across the channel, but since we were going flat out it stayed dry. But as soon as we got into the harbor and slowed down, the boat started to fill and of course settle. It was a very open boat - perfect for diving, and perfect for seeing water in the back.

We knew right away what must have happened, but I couldn't find the spare plug. My BIL just reached over the rear and stuck his thumb in the drain hole. Seemed to be fine, so I motored it in. Once we were tied to the dock I shut down and handed him a rag. We stuffed it into the hole and had no problem getting it onto the trailer. It had only been ten minutes tops, but he was deaf from being right next to the motor, and he had a headache - our guess was the exhaust fumes - and his hand was numb from the cold water.

He kept yelling at me to do something, but the engine was running, his head was down below the slop well, so I never heard him once - and I thought we were just fine. He was less than happy.

He always refers to it as the time he 'saved our lives and Chas' stupid boat.'

That was one of these plugs -

http://247marine.com/shop/images/Snap%20Drain%20Plugs.jpgif you have one, check it every season. They get hard and even if you crank it down they can still slip out. Also, if you get wax into the hole it can make it easy for them to slide right back out. And a little chain or cable wouldn't be a bad idea - if we had been equipped like that he could have put the plug back in and barely gotten wet.

atlfootr
04-26-2008, 10:13 AM
That was one of these plugs -

http://247marine.com/shop/images/Snap%20Drain%20Plugs.jpgUsed 'em before, now use the one's w/ the T-bar instead of the O Ring design, we carry 3-4 extra on board -- their cheap :D

areamike
04-28-2008, 11:33 AM
Put your thumb in it?

MC-SKIER19
07-29-2008, 11:42 AM
Just did a search on this topic and thought I would chime in even though it's an older post. Last weekend IT happened to me. I leave my boat on a lift all summer (about 4 hours away). I have on a few occasions had water in the bilge after getting back to it after a week or so. So, I started pulling the plug while I'm gone for extended periods. Well, last weekend I forgot to put it back in. So........I am dropping the boat down on the lift, flip on the blower, start her up, back it off the lift and proceed to let her warm up. My girlfriend was with me as we started to cruise at idle speed. After a few minutes the blower starts sounding strange.....hmmmmmmmm, wonder why that is?:confused: As I start to open up the throttle the bow of the boat raises like never before......hmmmmmm?:confused: I was thinking it was almost like I had a ballast in the back.......well, I actually did. I about crapped when it hit me.....I forgot to put the plug back in:eek:. I popped the cover and saw water almost to the floor. I always leave the plug right in front of the hole after pulling it......is it still there???? Of course, I couldn't reach down there with the engine running......so, I hit the bilge while she was driving. I told her to kill the engine and I was praying the plug was down there somewhere. I reached down and felt around and found that baby. I was able to get it back in and let the bilge run for about 10 minutes or so to clear out the water. I was afraid of engine damage although it seemed to be running OK. I hope this never happens to anyone because it literally took a few years off my life!:D

bigmac
07-29-2008, 11:54 AM
Ha! I was going to write, been there done that, until I looked at the pictures, ouch. My buddy says that a lot of outboards have plugs that you can only put in from the outside of the boat.My MasterCraft has a drain plug that can only be put in from outside the boat. Actually, I think that's the usual case with most MC's.

wakeX2wake
07-29-2008, 12:02 PM
every inboard i've ever been in has an inside plug... MC '94 ps205, '94 maristar 225 vrs, 05 maristar 205?, 07 X2, 06 SAN 210 TE, 07 SAN TE, 05 Moomba outback, 07 moomba lsv, 08 moomba xlv, 06 Supra launch 21V, 07 supra launch 24ssv, and a 05 mauibu wakesetter vlx

what kind of MC do you have?

bigmac
07-29-2008, 12:22 PM
every inboard i've ever been in has an inside plug... MC '94 ps205, '94 maristar 225 vrs, 05 maristar 205?, 07 X2, 06 SAN 210 TE, 07 SAN TE, 05 Moomba outback, 07 moomba lsv, 08 moomba xlv, 06 Supra launch 21V, 07 supra launch 24ssv, and a 05 mauibu wakesetter vlx

what kind of MC do you have?

2004 MariStar 230 VRS. It has a garboard T-handle drain, and a stern drain plug.

http://mccollister.info/rudder/rudder1.jpg

Hollywood
07-29-2008, 12:49 PM
The "pros" let it flip over instead of tying off the bow eye and dragging it to shore. What bunch of clowns.

TMCNo1
07-29-2008, 12:57 PM
2004 MariStar 230 VRS. It has a garboard T-handle drain, and a stern drain plug.

Is that drain lighted or does it have a warning light?:confused::rolleyes::D

Sodar
07-29-2008, 01:10 PM
I know that I have told this story before, but it fits well, so here I go again. I have not seen many boats, other than MC's that ONLY have a stern plug. My 190 and my 197 both only have center plugs. My friend's Nautiques, Sangers and Tiges all have center plugs and stern plugs.

I know that I have told this story before, but it fits well, so here I go again... In 1996, my dad, and our 2 of his lakehouse partners bought a 1996 Hydrodyne Grand Sport Demo Boat with a GT-40 PCM. We broke the boat in and at 10 hours took it back to the dealer for the 10 hour service. One of our partners took the boat back up to the lakehouse and my dad and our family stayed home that weekend for my water polo tournament. Our partners put the stern plug in, not knowing about the center plug (we had never pulled the center plug, only the stern) and launched the boat. They pulled the boat off the trailer, tied it to the dock and decided to go to dinner. When they got back it was dark and they could not easily see the boat from the house. So, our partner walks out to the end of the dock, looks straight down and sees the boat sitting on the bottom with the bow light on because it was shorted somehow. FYI- Hydrodyne Grand Sports SINK to the bottom! :D

My dad gets the call asking him what they should do, so he ends up going down to my Cousin's shipyard and grabbing some air bags and a few scuba tanks and drives up there. They ended up lifting the boat about 2 feet off the bottom and walking the boat on the trailer. They got about half the boat on the trailer and pulled it up just above water level to start bailing. I guess it took them a few hours, but they got it all out.

Ended up taking it back to the dealership, replacing the ECM and the stereo and the boat ran flawlessly until we sold it last year with the lakehouse...

Pstar94
07-29-2008, 04:28 PM

Please tell me your not lifting the boat from the rudder.....

wiltok
07-29-2008, 08:56 PM
I always attach the plug to the key (wrap it around the safety lanyard several times). With this method I haven't forgotten yet.... (I have forgotten with the 'memory' method!).

denverd1
08-05-2008, 04:04 PM
Well, it happened to me this weekend. Lost the original plug somewhere. It never comes out of the boat, but I still can't find it. Called local shop and they said its a standard size, but they don't have one in stock. so, I find a few sprinkler parts and an old plastic thru hull and made a plug. We weren't going to be out all day, so it wasn't a big deal. Teflon taped everything just for good measure.

So we launch, and I notice the boat is pretty loud. Then it hits me, I didn't reattach the fresh water hose to the strainer!! Was doing some jet size changes in the driveway and never reattached the hose! Some quick screwdriver work and we were in business.

It's amazing to me that people never think they will find themselves in an urgent/emergency situation. in that vid, they knew the boat was taking on water for a while, looks like 10-15 minutes, but nobody looks around to figure it out.