PDA

View Full Version : Need Help From 2007 X-7 Owners

vogelm1
04-03-2008, 11:53 PM
I'm mounting a 2007 full-size MasterCraft tower on my '05 197 and hoping for info on the following:

- I know there are plates glassed into the deck from factory, but are additional backing plates used at all (the mounting hardware bag only consists of bolts, washers, and nuts so I assume not)?

- can you provide me a measurement from the rear edge of the windshield frame to the leading edge of the rear tower mount?

Thanks much!!

Jim@BAWS
04-04-2008, 08:35 AM
MasterCraft PRELAMINATES plates into the deck. The parts that came with the tower are all that is needed

Measure 5 times...measure another 5 times then drill.

a) Measure
b) Mask off with tape so you are drilling through tape first
c) Drill a PILOT HOLE
d) Run the BOLTS and nuts through a tap and die set first
you DO NOT want to cross thread stainless you will never
get it off
e) mount tower. make sure to run your wires for accessories
f) go wakeboarding

Jim@BAWS

vogelm1
04-04-2008, 03:56 PM
Thanks Jim! That's one question taken care of. Anybody have the measurement...how far back tower leg mounts from rear of windshield?

peason
04-04-2008, 04:09 PM
I bet you can look under neath the gunnel and see where the plate is glassed in. This should give you an idea where the tower will mount. I can't remember, but this plate may be already drilled for the stock tower - it's been a long time since I put the tower on my 209.

NU-skier
04-04-2008, 04:17 PM
A stud finder will also locate the plates for you.
Suggest you start drilling into the tape/gelcoat with the drill in reverse.

Roonie's
04-04-2008, 04:31 PM
I have an 07 X2 and the back tower leg begins at exactly 5 1/4" from where the windshield ends. I don't know if this helps you at all??

edit; nevermind I see the title to thread asking for X7 owners LOL!

wakolman
04-04-2008, 04:56 PM
I have an 05 197 and it has the mini tower. The rear leg of that is mounted just to the outside (approx 1"-1.5") of the rear end of the windshield. Not sure that this is helpful.

No Skeez
04-04-2008, 05:14 PM
Im seeing a huge red flag here... Your boat is an '05, which has the old style tower... You're mounting a NEW style '07 tower... The front backing plates will probably be ok, but more likely than not, the rear legs will only hit the backing plate with one out of two mounting holes... Just something to consider...

vogelm1
04-04-2008, 05:26 PM
Im seeing a huge red flag here... Your boat is an '05, which has the old style tower... You're mounting a NEW style '07 tower... The front backing plates will probably be ok, but more likely than not, the rear legs will only hit the backing plate with one out of two mounting holes... Just something to consider...

Thanks for the assistance so far folks. No Skeez, yeah, I wondered the same thing. The hulls are identical but thinking maybe they moved the backing plates slightly on newer 197's to accomodate the new style tower. However, I bought the tower from a MC dealer and they stated it would fit '05 to '07, plug and play. I can see the plates thru the glass - once I rest the tower in the deck I'll be able to see if the tower mounts jive with backing plates. If need be, I don't have a problem glassing in new plates. But first I need the measurement from an X-7 as state above. Thanks again -

moleson10
04-04-2008, 08:27 PM
Beware, your plates may not be in the right location.

Look at where the tower mounts on a zero-flex (standard in 05 I believe) and where they mount on an 07. Totally different tower style. I think the front leg on the new style will be further forward.

My advice, call Mastercraft of Charlotte. Great folks and they know everything. They will steer you right.

Jim@BAWS
04-04-2008, 09:07 PM
I have an 05 197 and it has the mini tower. The rear leg of that is mounted just to the outside (approx 1"-1.5") of the rear end of the windshield. Not sure that this is helpful.

HALT MINI TOWER POSITION IS DIFFERENT THAN A FULL TOWER

REPEAT AFTER ME

HALT MINI etc etc etc

Jim@BAWS

Ric
04-07-2008, 09:34 AM
I am late to this party, but have lived this question already. The 05 (and later) full tower has different feet locations than the mini tower and pre-05 full towers.

The factory backing plates are for the pre-05 full towers and the current mini towers. You will need to fab up some backplates in order to mount the 07 full tower onto your 197/x7.

MasterCraft PRELAMINATES plates into the deck. The parts that came with the tower are all that is needed

Measure 5 times...measure another 5 times then drill.

a) Measure
b) Mask off with tape so you are drilling through tape first
c) Drill a PILOT HOLE
d) Run the BOLTS and nuts through a tap and die set first
you DO NOT want to cross thread stainless you will never
get it off
e) mount tower. make sure to run your wires for accessories
f) go wakeboarding

Jim@BAWS

vogelm1
04-18-2008, 02:39 PM
OK, ready to tackle this tower install over the weekend. Anybody have a measurement from end of windshield frame to front side of rear tower leg? Don't want to eyeball this one. Oh, and that would be the 2007 tower. Thanks -

Ric
04-18-2008, 02:43 PM
I say you create the location of the front feet by crawling under and locating the backing plates in relation to the windshield base and start from there.

h2oskiier222
04-19-2008, 02:18 AM
I have an '05 x7 with an '08 tower on it. I don't have the measurements off hand but I can get them for you tomorrow if you still need them. As for the backing plates, I didn't mount the tower so I don't know if they were in place or not. I could look tomorrow at the back side under the tower tomorrow and see. I am still getting to know this boat and am still learning quite a bit about the boat.

vogelm1
04-19-2008, 09:15 AM
I have an '05 x7 with an '08 tower on it. I don't have the measurements off hand but I can get them for you tomorrow if you still need them. As for the backing plates, I didn't mount the tower so I don't know if they were in place or not. I could look tomorrow at the back side under the tower tomorrow and see. I am still getting to know this boat and am still learning quite a bit about the boat.

Thanks h20skiier...I have the measurements now. However, I will run into a problem with not hitting the backing plates on the rear bolt of the rear leg (in 2005 the plates were further up toward the windshield on our boats) so I'd be curious to see what they did on yours - if you don't mind peeking up under your gunnel. Thanks!

vogelm1
04-19-2008, 10:48 PM
Tower is on! Managed this all by myself if you can believe that. Mounted the rear feet first (without the uprights) and then assembled the tower piece by piece, upward, and forward. The speaker/light bar was cumbersome to handle so I suspended it with a come-a-long from the rafters.

The front holes went through fiberglass only, so I'll need to fab up some backing plates...Ric you called that one. No biggie, but will need to cipher as to how big - I know a fender washer probably won't cut it. Eighth-inch aluminum by ? x ? Check out the photo. Swivel racks and bimini will go on next.:D

h2oskiier222
04-19-2008, 11:43 PM
Nice looking Tower! I took a look under my gunnels and the plates are integrated right into the glass. It looks like they are right in the middle of the rear feet. There are just a couple of washers between the nut and the fiberglass. Looking good! :D

Ric
04-20-2008, 12:13 AM
Tower is on! Managed this all by myself if you can believe that. Mounted the rear feet first (without the uprights) and then assembled the tower piece by piece, upward, and forward. The speaker/light bar was cumbersome to handle so I suspended it with a come-a-long from the rafters.

The front holes went through fiberglass only, so I'll need to fab up some backing plates...Ric you called that one. No biggie, but will need to cipher as to how big - I know a fender washer probably won't cut it. Eighth-inch aluminum by ? x ? Check out the photo. Swivel racks and bimini will go on next.:D looks sexy. 1/8 or thicker alum plate will be fine for backing plates... I'd do up some fiberglas resin or some of that strong marine silicone between the plates and the underside of the deck.. let it cure prior to torquing the tower bolts tight. I think this will ensure spreading the torque evenly across the surface area of the plates.

vogelm1
04-20-2008, 10:28 AM
Thanks for taking a peek under your gunnel H20skiier. It's odd we have the same year boat and your plates seemed to be in the correct place. Maybe on the X-7's they did something different, but you wouldn't think so. I took the measurements for mine off a 2007 197 that had the full-size tower figuring that's where it needed to be on the deck. Well, we'll get it to work with just a little more effort.

Ric, any thoughts on how large to make the backing plates? Would think there's a rule of thumb, say so many square inches per bolt, but have no idea. Could always call a dealer and get their thoughts too.