PDA

View Full Version : can perfect pass be added to a 91 maristar

djkslc
04-03-2008, 09:03 PM
1991 maristar 210 with a carb 454, is perfect pass possible, and how hard to instal myself?

east tx skier
04-03-2008, 09:38 PM
Possible. Hard to say how easy or hard for you the install is. Really, it's not much more than turning a wrench and routing cables through the bilge and drilling a hole in your boat for the paddle wheel. In my experience, routing the cable can be no easy task depending on what is inset in the floor between the engine and the kick plate or where ever the control module is mounted. Also, drilling that hole is a matter of comfort level.

That's the long way of saying that I know plenty who have done it themselves, but for me, I decided to let the dealer do it for a couple of hundred bucks.

Your mileage may vary.

H20skeefreek
04-04-2008, 01:19 AM
And remember, the paddle wheel is not necessarily required.

BrianM
04-04-2008, 08:45 AM
If you are somewhat mechanically inclined PP should take a first timer about 3 hours to install including drilling the hole for the paddle wheel. Overall it is a simple install that may present a few small challenges here or there. Some people are not comfortable drilling holes in the boat. It is a very simple thing to do and my personal thoughts are when I do it I know it is done right. Measure two or three times and drill once.

H20skeefreek
04-04-2008, 09:27 AM
If you are somewhat mechanically inclined PP should take a first timer about 3 hours to install including drilling the hole for the paddle wheel. Overall it is a simple install that may present a few small challenges here or there. Some people are not comfortable drilling holes in the boat. It is a very simple thing to do and my personal thoughts are when I do it I know it is done right. Measure two or three times and drill once.

I will echo this sentiment. I learned the hard way. Remember to check for clearance on the INSIDE too!

east tx skier
04-04-2008, 09:59 AM
I will echo this sentiment. I learned the hard way. Remember to check for clearance on the INSIDE too!

If you have an in floor cooler, routing the cable through the small space between the cooler and the stringers can be too tedious for words. You can use existing cables like the throttle cable to snake it through (unless those cables are all zip tied). Just something worth mentioning in my opinion so you can be prepared for it.

I agree with Brian that doing it yourself, competence presumed, assures that it has been done correctly. I am fortunate to have a local mechanic that has forgotten more about this process than I ever knew in the first place. Also, if you do decide to let a professional tackle it, shop the price around. Install should run you 2--3 hours of labor. Even if you don't want to break a sweat, you can save a few bucks by mounting the gauge and master module yourself.