PDA

View Full Version : Maybe a Stupid Question

kylegansel
04-03-2008, 05:37 PM
We just sold our 1995 Maristar which had the integrated swim platform and moved onto a 2003 x-9 which has the wooden platform. This may sound like a stupid question but with our old boat: you could just put on your slalom ski on the rubber platform and slide in. With the new wood platform how to you get off of it without scratching your ski and the platform? Can you just dip the tail of your ski off the edge and fall back in to the water or do you have to jump off with your ski on? Just trying to take good care of my boat and my equipment!!!

tex
04-03-2008, 05:39 PM
We just sold our 1995 Maristar which had the integrated swim platform and moved onto a 2003 x-9 which has the wooden platform. This may sound like a stupid question but with our old boat: you could just put on your slalom ski on the rubber platform and slide in. With the new wood platform how to you get off of it without scratching your ski and the platform? Can you just dip the tail of your ski off the edge and fall back in to the water or do you have to jump off with your ski on? Just trying to take good care of my boat and my equipment!!!
Thinking way too much. Enjoy the upgrade!

wakeX2wake
04-03-2008, 05:40 PM
you can slide in no problem... MC has been making boat somewhat catered to skiing for a while now... just want to make sure your teak is in good shape... i slide my skis and new boards in all the time... plenty on doing the platform up right on here too... something you may want to consider... look up what wakechic did to hers... mad props on the wood working skills

flipper
04-03-2008, 05:41 PM
I just fall back into the water....you're not going to hurt anything.

BIGBADBLUE
04-03-2008, 06:35 PM
Rule #71 - No sliding on my platform. Put the ski on and fall in. Sliding causes me to sand and that is bad.

Lennyp04
04-03-2008, 06:40 PM
Rule #1: There are no stupid questions.

flipper
04-03-2008, 06:41 PM
except an unasked one

Lennyp04
04-03-2008, 06:42 PM
There ya go!

TMCNo1
04-03-2008, 06:43 PM
Rule #2- Don't ask Harold!

Lennyp04
04-03-2008, 06:44 PM
Rule #3- Which is acutally a consequence if Rule #2 is broke: Harold WILL hunt you down

TMCNo1
04-03-2008, 06:55 PM
Rule # 4- Damaging teak platforms will result in severe consequences, see Rule #3

BrianM
04-03-2008, 08:25 PM
I generally hop off the platform but I let others slide in off the platform. Doesn't hurt the ski or boards and at worst puts some light scratches on the edge of the platform that are easily sanded a bit and touched up with oil. I generall just touch up a couple of times a season.

brucemac
04-03-2008, 09:22 PM
granted, i can't personally speak from experience, but how does sliding off with a wakeboard with 1in+ stainless or composite fins on it not scratch the platform?

i'll be there soon and am asking honestly. for now my montra's been, "please jump off or fall backwards, thanks!"

Lennyp04
04-03-2008, 09:25 PM
granted, i can't personally speak from experience, but how does sliding off with a wakeboard with 1in+ stainless or composite fins on it not scratch the platform?

i'll be there soon and am asking honestly. for now my montra's been, "please jump off or fall backwards, thanks!"

Oh theres ways to do it right, and ways to do it wrong. We found that dipping the tail (or nose in) and then sliding while bending your knees helps keep it off the teak......but then again maybe theres a better way to do it.

brucemac
04-03-2008, 09:40 PM
i'll find out soon enough i suppose!!! can't WAIT!!!

i could see how skis wouldn't do much, but a wakeboard with molded fins and a screw mounted center fin i don't know. guess i better just not worry about it and have fun. there's always sanding. :)

hopefully i'll have that title SOON!

sweet ride by the way lenny. how you like her?

Lennyp04
04-03-2008, 09:45 PM
Well I can't say that its mine. It belongs to my dad he just isnt into the whole online aspect. So thats why I do it! I love it. The wake is amazing....actually everything about the boat is amazing especailly the hole shot haha!

And thank you for the compliments. Can't wait to see your boat! And I know I can't wait to get out on the water!!!!!

brucemac
04-03-2008, 09:47 PM
yeah, i'll post pics as soon as she's mine. promise. along with more questions, and advice requests, i'm sure :)

mayo93prostar
04-03-2008, 09:51 PM
i put my slalom ski on with double high wraps on my teak platform and then I put my hands on the back of the boat to help me jump off into the water. My son gets his wakeboard on and then sits on the back of the boat, puts the board in the water and slides down with support from his hands. some minor scratches but that is what the platform is for, getting in and out of the water with board on. have fun and enjoy it.

Lennyp04
04-03-2008, 09:54 PM
Well thats what this site is for man. That and everyone else knowing how to have a good sense of humor!

But honestly with the teak.....it does chew up the edge a little bit more....but when I'm teaching people to wakeboard, I worry more about the board not hitting the boat then what happens to the teak. Scratches are going to happen, so sand it and get them out. Scratches in the fiberglass are just a little bit more time consuming and a little more $$$ to fix. But if you want to avoid the teak damage, you can have people sit on the back deck to put it on, slide down so their butt is on the teak and then slide into the water from there. That limits the fin to edge of teak ratio!

kev88
04-04-2008, 09:15 AM

Agreed! No apologies for taking care of your stuff!

TMCNo1
04-04-2008, 09:43 AM
Personally, I think teak and fiberglass swim platforms are way over rated.
Too easy to chip, scratch, get moldy, turn colors, screws come loose, glue joints come apart, rubber mats come unglued, black marks on the upholstery, numerous problems in any enviornment. A economical solid surface material like Corian could be crafted that is practically maintenance free, color matched to most any boat and could be easily copied and retro fitted to any older boat who's platform has given up the ghost. They have engineered plastic/resin deck materials, lawn furniture, playground equipment using recycled plastics now don't they, I'm just sayin'...............................;)

wakeX2wake
04-04-2008, 10:00 AM
Personally, I think teak and fiberglass swim platforms are way over rated.
Too easy to chip, scratch, get moldy, turn colors, screws come loose, glue joints come apart, rubber mats come unglued, black marks on the upholstery, numerous problems in any enviornment. A economical solid surface material like Corian could be crafted that is practically maintenance free, color matched to most any boat and could be easily copied and retro fitted to any older boat who's platform has given up the ghost. They have engineered plastic/resin deck materials, lawn furniture, playground equipment using recycled plastics now don't they, I'm just sayin'...............................;)

hey sounds good to me... i might be a little worried about the weight aspect... if i remember correctly Corian isn't the lightest stuff in the world and it would have to be pretty thick to w/stand a big guy like me standing on it... i agree i like the look of the teak but there's got to be a better way

ProTour X9
04-04-2008, 10:04 AM
Just think if we were in the 60's or early 70's, YOU WOULDN'T HAVE A PLATFORM! I normally just hop off, sliding off really won't cause that much damage.

wakeX2wake
04-04-2008, 10:15 AM
best way to do it... just put it on get in the water and worry about the teak and the end and beginning of the season... won't scratch a ski or a board and if it does... can't be as bad as us sliding docks last year (we made a Ronix One board look like crap...) it's made to be used

TMCNo1
04-04-2008, 11:19 AM
Just think if we were in the 60's or early 70's, YOU WOULDN'T HAVE A PLATFORM! I normally just hop off, sliding off really won't cause that much damage.

We're in the 21st Century now, been to the Moon and I think have sent a spacecraft up to and cameras into Uranus and with ski/wakeboard/surf/tube Mastercraft boats exceeding $100K and 8000 lbs with ballast, what's a extra 100 lbs and a few $100 extra for some simplification. You add wraps, custom wheels, towers, batteries, amps, speakers, lights, pumps, sacs, biminis, tables, all this heavy S/S bling, etc., come on give me a break!

TMCNo1
04-04-2008, 11:22 AM
best way to do it... just put it on get in the water and worry about the teak and the end and beginning of the season... won't scratch a ski or a board and if it does... can't be as bad as us sliding docks last year (we made a Ronix One board look like crap...) it's made to be used

So it only looks good when not in use, why didn't I think of that?:rolleyes: :D

ProTour X9
04-04-2008, 11:47 AM
We're in the 21st Century now, been to the Moon and I think have sent a spacecraft up to and cameras into Uranus and with ski/wakeboard/surf/tube Mastercraft boats exceeding $100K and 8000 lbs with ballast, what's a extra 100 lbs and a few $100 extra for some simplification. You add wraps, custom wheels, towers, batteries, amps, speakers, lights, pumps, sacs, biminis, tables, all this heavy S/S bling, etc., come on give me a break!

Proof if you ask a stupid question you get a stupid answer.8p

TMCNo1
04-04-2008, 01:30 PM
Proof if you ask a stupid question you get a stupid answer.8p

Thank Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu! Just trying to stay on the thread topic!
Besides, we need some excitement around here and I thought today, April 4 was April Fools Day IV!

wakeX2wake
04-04-2008, 02:00 PM
So it only looks good when not in use, why didn't I think of that?:rolleyes: :D

LOL well my thinking is... do it up at the beginning... let it look good for most of the summer then do it up before or just after winterizing... then when you re-work in spring you'll be further ahead every year

TMCNo1
04-04-2008, 05:04 PM
LOL well my thinking is... do it up at the beginning... let it look good for most of the summer then do it up before or just after winterizing... then when you re-work in spring you'll be further ahead every year

I love the obvious, that's what I'm doing the rest of my ownership life. I haven't touched mine since last spring so I'm way behind, but there is always next year!

wakeX2wake
04-04-2008, 06:01 PM
I love the obvious, that's what I'm doing the rest of my ownership life. I haven't touched mine since last spring so I'm way behind, but there is always next year!

after all you are the MC godfather of teak care

TMCNo1
04-04-2008, 07:46 PM
after all you are the MC godfather of teak care

(With a Marlon Brando, Godfather accent) "That's gooooood, or you may find your cut off platform section with teak oil dripping from it and all over the sheets in bed with you in the morning"!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

moleson10
04-04-2008, 08:12 PM
There are 32 responses and 500+ views for this simple question. We all need to get a life ;o)

1. Put boat in forward at idle
2. Shift boat to neutral
3. Place ski or board perpedicular to boat travel on swim step with you in it. Make sure you are holding rope in hand.
4. Jump up and back in one motion. Remember to look dis-interested and cool.
5. Sink slowly into water.

It works, really.

coz
04-04-2008, 08:16 PM
There are 32 responses and 500+ views for this simple question. We all need to get a life ;o)

1. Put boat in forward at idle
2. Shift boat to neutral
3. Place ski or board perpedicular to boat travel on swim step with you in it. Make sure you are holding rope in hand.
4. Jump up and back in one motion. Remember to look dis-interested and cool.
5. Sink slowly into water.

It works, really.

Your wrong! your post 33 I'm 34 :D I'm liv'n baby!!!:D

brucemac
04-04-2008, 08:35 PM
lol, #4 :)

Monte
04-04-2008, 09:42 PM
Rule #2- Don't ask Harold!

Rule # 4 Harold really likes PM's especially when he is off line.....;)