PDA

View Full Version : Paypal

flipper
04-03-2008, 04:09 PM
I'm working on selling a car, and have a guy that wants to put a deposit down with paypal, and cash when he comes to get it. I've used paypal to buy stuff, but never to sell. With all the stories about scams, how safe is Paypal? I'm afraid of it ending up being a stolen credit card or something, and getting ripped off. Any help and/or advice is apprieciated.

ridesdirt
04-03-2008, 04:12 PM
I think you want your buyer to be a "verified" paypal user.

ShamrockIV
04-03-2008, 04:14 PM
paypal is iron clad bro.

coz
04-03-2008, 04:20 PM
I'm working on selling a car, and have a guy that wants to put a deposit down with paypal, and cash when he comes to get it. I've used paypal to buy stuff, but never to sell. With all the stories about scams, how safe is Paypal? I'm afraid of it ending up being a stolen credit card or something, and getting ripped off. Any help and/or advice is apprieciated.

Your safe, he will be sending the money to the email you have with paypal, there will be nothing else he will see, then you'll get a verification/accept money email from paypal to accept payment.

BTW: Don't give anything except your email, that's it!

Maristar210
04-03-2008, 04:20 PM
Paypal protects the buyer in most cases, not the seller. I have been involved in a wrongful claims where Paypal debited my account the amount of the item I sold ($800 ish) until I could prove I did not misrepresent the item in the listing. 34 days later they credited my account and told the buyer to piss off.

I would say give a small deposit via paypal is ok but no way will I ever accept it as full payment for an item again unless its a small ticket stuff.

Go to www.paypalsucks.com for more horror stories.

If I am a buyer, I love it but if I am the seller? It sucks *** for large ticket stuff . IMO

flipper
04-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Thanks guys....It's not an expensive car, '56 chevy body and frame rolling. But it's all torn apart and ready for a frame off. This guy sounds like he wants it really bad, and I hate to turn other offers down on his word. So we talked about $500 deposit, and the rest cash. So do I have to link my bank account to paypal...or is there another way? Right now I'm just set up to buy, and don't have a bank account linked.

east tx skier
04-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Like Steve said, it's always fine for a buyer. As a seller, on deposits, I'd look for signs of fraud before I lept.

sdesmond
04-03-2008, 06:23 PM
Like everybody else is saying, I would just use it for the deposit. I have had nothing but good experiences. The only down side to this is they take 3%. So you are getting a $500 deposit they take $16. Obviously the more money that is sent to you the more money they take.

76S&S
04-03-2008, 06:27 PM
Thanks guys....It's not an expensive car, '56 chevy body and frame rolling. But it's all torn apart and ready for a frame off. This guy sounds like he wants it really bad, and I hate to turn other offers down on his word. So we talked about $500 deposit, and the rest cash. So do I have to link my bank account to paypal...or is there another way? Right now I'm just set up to buy, and don't have a bank account linked.

If memory serves me (which is questionable) you can either have it transfered to a bank account or have them cut you a check (maybe a small fee for the check).