PDA

View Full Version : New Trailer Bairing Buddies

chfrogman
04-02-2005, 12:21 AM
I just bought a new 05 X-2 and was checking things out. I noticed that the bairing buddies have different covers than my last boat and was wondering how you get to the nipples to add grease without screwing everything up. Can anyone help or advise? :worthy:

RackAtak
04-02-2005, 12:50 AM
If they're the flat metal flush type caps, I used a small screwdriver and kind of pried them off. Mine regularly threw grease on my wheels so I ended up putting the plastic caps over them. I picked up the caps at West Marine.

lakes Rick
04-02-2005, 10:58 PM
Make sure there not the oil lube type.. I thought MC went to them a couple of years ago... Oil lubed instead of grease.....

Jim
04-03-2005, 12:27 AM
I just bought a new 05 X-2 and was checking things out. I noticed that the bairing buddies have different covers than my last boat and was wondering how you get to the nipples to add grease without screwing everything up. Can anyone help or advise? :worthy:

You might try reading your Owners Manual if its a Mastercraft trailer. :

mtrask
04-03-2005, 07:12 AM

I believe they are all self-contained with sight glasses there instead of grease fittings. I remember reading this though noticed it for the first time last night as I was adding tower speakers to my boat..

I did the same thing though, I looked at them and asked myself were the grease fittings were.

Look closely, you will see it is a site glass and you should see a oil level. Another MasterCraft Triumph. They use this on over-the-road trucks. It works very well.

chfrogman
04-04-2005, 02:41 PM
The trailer is a SBT (Sport Boat Trailers) trailer for Mastercraft. No owners manual and do not see site glass.

bcampbe7
04-04-2005, 02:57 PM
Can you post a picture of the grease fitting. I have some different fittings on the driveshaft of my SUV. It takes a needle type fitting. To describe the fitting, it looks like a flat octagon nut with a hole in the center to apply the grease. It may be called a flush type, but I am not sure.
Side view of the fitting I am talking about is below, along with the fitting for the grease gun.

Ric
04-04-2005, 03:25 PM
frog, the 05 mc trailer should be oil bath and have a site glass??
I've not read up on it, but it's not a bearing buddy.
your aftermarket trailer may be bearing buddy type lube with actual axle & spindle where the mc is a torsion axle with oil bath hubs