PDA

View Full Version : Impeller replacement...

P-hat_in_Cincy
04-02-2008, 09:50 PM
After bloodying some knuckles and giving myself blood blisters by pinching fingers in needle nose pliers, I decided to ease my impeller changing blues by investing in an impeller puller (thanks skidim.com).

I tell you what. If you want your impeller out in 2mins without any pains, get an impeller puller! I always try to find 'work-arounds' for not investing in specialized stuff, but this tool was well worth it! I was worried about it interfering with my muffler, but it wasn't the case!

Following are some pictures. Sorry for the resolution. My phone doesn't take good pictures, especially close-up and in the dark.

Impeller puller hooked in and removing impeller!

P-hat_in_Cincy
04-02-2008, 09:53 PM
Removed impeller. It's a little over 2 northern season old and I'm glad I didn't wait much longer. You can't tell b/c the picture is so bad, but some vanes had slight cracks in them and (obviously) it retains a 'memory' after sitting for the winter months.

flipper
04-02-2008, 09:55 PM
Looks like pretty slick tool. I never had that much trouble getting them out, but glad it worked out for you.

P-hat_in_Cincy
04-02-2008, 09:56 PM
Installed impeller. Just a picture so I could confirm the vanes were started in the correct direction. I lubed up the housing and impeller with soapy water and spun the impeller on as I pushed it in to get the impeller vanes started in the right direction.

coz
04-02-2008, 09:59 PM
After bloodying some knuckles and giving myself blood blisters by pinching fingers in needle nose pliers, I decided to ease my impeller changing blues by investing in an impeller puller (thanks skidim.com).

I tell you what. If you want your impeller out in 2mins without any pains, get an impeller puller! I always try to find 'work-arounds' for not investing in specialized stuff, but this tool was well worth it! I was worried about it interfering with my muffler, but it wasn't the case!

Following are some pictures. Sorry for the resolution. My phone doesn't take good pictures, especially close-up and in the dark.

Impeller puller hooked in and removing impeller!

That would work great for me if that silver pole wasn't in the way :confused:

P-hat_in_Cincy
04-02-2008, 10:01 PM
Looks like pretty slick tool. I never had that much trouble getting them out, but glad it worked out for you.

Yeah...I was able to 'work' them out in the past, but this one was being more difficult than my wife! Shhh!!!! :D

I wish I would have read the paint can opener suggestion earlier, but at least I know I'm not messing up the housing...and it was SO easy!

uawaterskier
04-02-2008, 10:10 PM
it looks like a little grinding on a 2 jaw puller and i could make that tool

P-hat_in_Cincy
04-02-2008, 10:12 PM
That would work great for me if that silver pole wasn't in the way :confused:
The handle? That's what I thought too, but it JUST cleared.

I would have cut the 'pusher' portion of the puller off (see red line in picture) if I needed the handle to clear the muffler. I figured I could shorten it's length by doing so, but I might have had to start pulling the impeller, loosen, re-attach, and pull some more.

The other option was to cut the handle shorter.

If I could offer a modification of this tool to the manufacturer, it would be to make a thru hole and allow the handle to slide thru...like you see on many C-clamps. That could help people with clearance issues.

ttu
04-02-2008, 10:14 PM
guess you have a vdrive:D

my first inboard was a direct drive and it was so easy to replace the impeller, 2nd was a vdrive and what a pain in the arse.

i bought the impeller puller like the one you showed and it made life so much easier.

P-hat_in_Cincy
04-02-2008, 10:17 PM
guess you have a vdrive:D

my first inboard was a direct drive and it was so easy to replace the impeller, 2nd was a vdrive and what a pain in the arse.

i bought the impeller puller like the one you showed and it made life so much easier.
That would be the "V" in the "205V" in my sig!:D I guess I'm not the only one that has felt the pain!

uawaterskier
04-02-2008, 10:19 PM
it looks like a sweet tool P-hat. And if it makes the job a lot easier, its usually worth it

boofer
04-02-2008, 10:54 PM
Dang it. You just reminded me of the one thing that I left for the Spring to do when I winterized. I dread it since my muffler sits/contacts the impeller housing. Oh well, it need to be done. I have no choice but to undo the muffler some. I hope that when I am done I can adjust it when I put it all back together. As far as the tool goes, I have reached an age when I can say it is more than worth it to have the right tool for the job!

JohnE
04-02-2008, 10:57 PM
When I was trying to pull my impeller last fall, I was trying everything I thought. Needlenose vise grips which I was prying with a screwdriver. I'd have paid $100 for that puller. But then one squirt of WD40 and a quick turn of the key and it slipped off like butter....

shurgot
04-15-2008, 01:44 AM
Has anyone tried a puller on an MCX V-Drive? I know the pain all too well!

boofer
04-15-2008, 01:49 AM
shurgot, I just got done doing mine and I am doubtful that we could get a tool in there. I had to remove the upper portion of the muffler. That was more of a pain then removing the impeller.

bigmac
04-15-2008, 08:27 AM
That would be the "V" in the "205V" in my sig!:D I guess I'm not the only one that has felt the pain!No, indeed you are not. I am envious of your muffler location. What a difference an inch makes.

Read this thread (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=22497&highlight=impeller)for an example of excellence in marine engineering ;) .

daverbeck
04-27-2008, 06:50 PM
I used 2 of those paint can openers to hook the back of the impeller on opposite sides and pull it out. Seemed to work OK.

jas3314
04-27-2008, 08:00 PM
The paint can openers work great... sprayed w/soapy water, removed coil wire and turned ign a couple times and pulled it right out w/one on each side... For those that don't wanna spend a mint on single use tools ;-)

Chief
04-27-2008, 08:42 PM
Yep I'm not looking for my next one. I used alot of bad words on the last one.

SkiDog
04-27-2008, 09:04 PM
Yep I'm not looking for my next one. I used alot of bad words on the last one.
Wade, clean out your PM'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bigmac
11-17-2008, 02:14 PM
The paint can openers work great... sprayed w/soapy water, removed coil wire and turned ign a couple times and pulled it right out w/one on each side... For those that don't wanna spend a mint on single use tools ;-)

V-drive, V-drive, V-drive. For those that have a Direct Drive ski boat, YES, using the paint can openers would work fine. For those that have tried to change a stuck impeller on a V-drive, you already KNOW that the paint can openers have no applicability.

FrankSchwab
11-17-2008, 02:53 PM
V-drive, V-drive, V-drive. For those that have a Direct Drive ski boat, YES, using the paint can openers would work fine. For those that have tried to change a stuck impeller on a V-drive, you already KNOW that the paint can openers have no applicability.

Well, actually, they work just fine on my V-Drive. I've got plenty of clearance below the muffler to use two paint can openers every spring.

Guess I should thank my lucky stars.

/frank

dooger
12-11-2008, 09:51 AM
P-Hat I feel ya brother on the blood blisters! Dadgum needle nose pliers! after bending two paint can openers i have determined to purchase an impeller puller. I also have room to work the can openers in the RWP housing... but the impeller is stuck! The other option was too remove the RWP but didnt want to hassle with that. Before popping for the impeller puller i might try soaping the housing up and spinning the engine over see if that loosens it up somewhat.

coz
12-11-2008, 10:09 AM
Before popping for the impeller puller i might try soaping the housing up and spinning the engine over see if that loosens it up somewhat.

That should do the trick, I personally do it that way thanks to #1 and it slips right out. :D

TMCNo1
12-11-2008, 10:10 AM
P-Hat I feel ya brother on the blood blisters! Dadgum needle nose pliers! after bending two paint can openers i have determined to purchase an impeller puller. I also have room to work the can openers in the RWP housing... but the impeller is stuck! The other option was too remove the RWP but didnt want to hassle with that. Before popping for the impeller puller i might try soaping the housing up and spinning the engine over see if that loosens it up somewhat.

CRC-556, WD40, or any type penetrating oil sprayed on/into shaft and hub of impeller and in the RWP housing/impeller vanes should help, then let it sit for a few hours to work.

ksdaoski
03-02-2012, 11:00 AM
old thread....
Does anyone know the size of the MC impleller offhand?

http://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?16415/Impeller+Puller

Use SDL #660020 for impellers 3-1/16" to 5" diameter
Use SDL #660040 for impellers 2-1/4" to 2-9/16"

Thanks!

GoneBoatN
03-02-2012, 11:25 AM
I had one sitting on my work bench. It is 2 1/4 " in diameter.

BTW, I made a little impeller puller for just a few dollars using a couple of paint can openers, metal strap, bolt, washers, wing/nuts. See - http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=38397. It allows me to use one hand to around both openers, squeeze and pull.

ksdaoski
03-02-2012, 11:37 AM
thanks!

that helsp

sp00ky
03-02-2012, 04:45 PM

It's a different world with the vdrive guys though. Ours is easy

GoneBoatN
03-02-2012, 06:34 PM
If you want to feel bad about getting at the impeller, consider the Merc I/O. I had an Alpha I gen II which you had drain the lube and then separate the upper/lower outdrive unit. The v-drive is a piece of cake compared to that.

madcityskier
03-03-2012, 03:24 PM
Agreed, I/O's suck. That's why we all ended up here.

Dino Don
03-03-2012, 04:52 PM
I had one sitting on my work bench. It is 2 1/4 " in diameter.

BTW, I made a little impeller puller for just a few dollars using a couple of paint can openers, metal strap, bolt, washers, wing/nuts. See - http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=38397. It allows me to use one hand to around both openers, squeeze and pull.

That's pretty slick--only other suggestion is to put anti-seize on the impeller and shaft and it will slide out when that time comes again. :)

davidstan
03-04-2012, 11:20 AM
I know this has been discussed but are there any new ideas on how often to change the impeller? Every 100 hrs, every season, every other season?

CantRepeat
03-04-2012, 11:31 AM
I know this has been discussed but are there any new ideas on how often to change the impeller? Every 100 hrs, every season, every other season?

For less then $30 bucks I just change it every year.

learjet2230
03-04-2012, 12:09 PM

I'm a firm believer that you change it based on how much you use it. The more the boat sits the more often you change it especially if your in a northern climate. I pretty much use my boat year round and log between 50-100 hrs a year. I can run an impeller about 3 seasons. I also keep a spare in the boat in case. But some feel its too cheap not to change once a year....I just go with the old saying..."The less ya "mess" with...the less ya "mess" up"!!! Cheers

mikeg205
03-04-2012, 12:15 PM
Every other ok depending on hours... but I agree with Cantrepeat - its too cheap not to change every year...

MrMan
07-03-2014, 09:26 AM
I battled for all of 20 minutes trying to get mine out and then thought "I need to go to teamTalk".
I did WD40 and 2 can openers; had it out in a minute.
Thanks, guys!!

VP46
07-16-2014, 04:01 AM
OK COuld use some help I think...I finally got around to pulling my own Impeller this evening (303 as a lube, a hit to the starter with safety key out, a screw driver and Vise Grips and it was a min or two before it was out)....

But I found this tiny brass colored Spring in there just sitting there, any one know what it might be from? Something I sucked up or did I break something? (the thought I may have broken something has me a bit panicked)

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-HnNL44FKPVE/U8Yh6ZrsPGI/AAAAAAAAMEY/rlLzublhbGg/w427-h758-no/image.png

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-fpImAbcNpXU/U8Yh6tAksRI/AAAAAAAAMEc/IaZpM5Aq82A/w360-h640-no/image+%25281%2529.png

Rossterman
07-16-2014, 04:27 AM
Looks like the Oil seal tensioner spring. Usually ends screw together and it sits in the seal lip area to help seal stay tight around the shaft. Usually you can put back together and pop back in place if not damage. Otherwise you will need a new shaft seal.

VP46
07-16-2014, 04:37 AM
Looks like the Oil seal tensioner spring. Usually ends screw together and it sits in the seal lip area to help seal stay tight around the shaft. Usually you can put back together and pop back in place if not damage. Otherwise you will need a new shaft seal.

Thought it was something like that - I don't think I disturbed it I think it just came out when the impeller was no longer there? Regardless I should have just let that damn 68 hr impeller go another season. Arggh.

Thanks - looks like I'll attempt to try and fix it.

VP46
07-16-2014, 04:38 AM
BTW vDrive impeller and my back are not friends.

VP46
07-16-2014, 05:30 AM
No such luck spring crumbled. On closer inspection appears to have a shiny flat spot down the length of it.

Any idea if this is the part I need? (02 indmar predator 310) I'll call skidim tomorrow but if you know this is it...

http://mastercraftdepot.com/collections/indmar-5-7-liter/products/kit-impeller-service

Searching Skidim this looks like it may be the seal I am looking for...

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=68-5004

mikeg205
07-16-2014, 10:17 AM
No such luck spring crumbled. On closer inspection appears to have a shiny flat spot down the length of it.

Any idea if this is the part I need? (02 indmar predator 310) I'll call skidim tomorrow but if you know this is it...

http://mastercraftdepot.com/collections/indmar-5-7-liter/products/kit-impeller-service

Searching Skidim this looks like it may be the seal I am looking for...

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=68-5004

That looks like it olus I believe you need a new o-ring. but with that seal being gone... water has been getting into pump bearings. and mine had a brass washer as well.

Time for a new pump or rebuild IMO - but that could probably wait until end of season. if you have a shop press you could replace the bearings - they are like $20 each. was going to rebuild mine but new one included a new impeller seal brass washer.

Rossterman
07-16-2014, 11:31 AM
Might consider complete pump replacement at this point if you need bearings, seals, brass washer, o-rings, etc and will have to pay someone to press apart and reassemble. If you are mechanically savy and have access to a hydraulic press the job isn't too bad and cost will be cheaper to buy the parts and fix it yourself.

VP46
07-16-2014, 11:55 AM
Yeah... Mechanically savvier than average but no equipment - I am firmly in the New pump camp.

The big question .... can I get away with out a new pump post 5 day camping trip?

Rossterman
07-16-2014, 12:53 PM
Yeah... Mechanically savvier than average but no equipment - I am firmly in the New pump camp.

The big question .... can I get away with out a new pump post 5 day camping trip?

You could try to read the seal number and get replacement (or something close) then use the spring from the new seal on the existing seal for now and probably get by IF the bearings seem OK and weren't washed of all grease. Seal doesn't have to be an exact match- just spring needs to be of similar dimensions (Slightly shorter is OK and will need to be roughly same width). I've done this before and has worked out OK.

VP46
07-16-2014, 05:57 PM
Skidim talked me into replacing the seal - I was impressed at how deeply they know this stuff. All from memory then promptly backed up by confirming from their system.

Very impressed!