PDA

View Full Version : Wake Surfing Question

sethro
04-02-2008, 05:38 PM
I've been wondering this for a while. I've never wake surfed and never even seen someone surfing in person. My question is this: Does the boat throw a continuous roller much like that of a pontoon at a slow speed (above idle but not too fast) or any other boat not on plane.

We've all encountered that perfect glass evening with the only other boat out there putzing at a slow speed causing a stern roller for what seems like miles...in essence ruining the water for all.

Just curious, does a surf setup cause that stern roller and subsequent roller coaster ride for any other boat in its path?

coz
04-02-2008, 06:57 PM
I've been wondering this for a while. I've never wake surfed and never even seen someone surfing in person. My question is this: Does the boat throw a continuous roller much like that of a pontoon at a slow speed (above idle but not too fast) or any other boat not on plane.

We've all encountered that perfect glass evening with the only other boat out there putzing at a slow speed causing a stern roller for what seems like miles...in essence ruining the water for all.

Just curious, does a surf setup cause that stern roller and subsequent roller coaster ride for any other boat in its path?

??? Was Moses on that pontoon with you? :confused:

Lennyp04
04-02-2008, 06:58 PM
??? Was Moses on that pontoon with you? :confused:

He musta been, I've never seen a pontoon throw a wake.

rodltg2
04-02-2008, 07:50 PM
yes it does it ruins the lake for evrybody else. you should never do it. you may also die from CO Poisoning..

edeckerpc
04-02-2008, 08:48 PM
yes it does it ruins the lake for evrybody else. you should never do it. you may also die from CO Poisoning..
LMAO! I almost died sitting on a dock with a pontoon rolling by. It took almost 35mins to pass and left us in a refinery haze.

Aric'sX15
04-02-2008, 09:03 PM

HUH?
thats if your teak dragging. if your smart your 10 feet off the boat, closest i have is maybe 5 feet. not dangerous if your smart enough to stay far away from the boat.

sand2snow22
04-02-2008, 11:27 PM
It looks something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4DcibAnW_E

88 PS190
04-02-2008, 11:35 PM
HUH?
thats if your teak dragging. if your smart your 10 feet off the boat, closest i have is maybe 5 feet. not dangerous if your smart enough to stay far away from the boat.

It can still be a serious issue, for people both in the boat and boarding, hence the side sweep exhausts, the CO can build up.

Heck even after 5 minutes I've had a headache before. And that's a sign that its there.

And if you make a wave it will go places, in this case the roller will be the length of the lake, so be smart and aim your wake at the shore.

When the person falls slow to a stop and idle back to the person, because turning around at those speeds will leave a roller where everyone else wants to be.

Ric
04-03-2008, 12:06 AM
yes it does it ruins the lake for evrybody else. you should never do it. you may also die from CO Poisoning.. yes and it's very gay

Upper Michigan Prostar190
04-03-2008, 09:00 AM
When I wakesurf, I generally go behind a pontoon. we load one pontoon partially with balast water. works awesome.

wakeX2wake
04-03-2008, 09:25 AM
When I wakesurf, I generally go behind a pontoon. we load one pontoon partially with balast water. works awesome.

LOL...........

Roonie's
04-03-2008, 09:34 AM
yes and it's very gay

It's as gay as selling your boat.

wakeX2wake
04-03-2008, 09:36 AM
the only time we wakesurf is when it's all but dark and everybody is worn out from riding all day and its something you kind do to be on the water and relax... don't see it becoming an x-games event

Roonie's
04-03-2008, 10:21 AM
I love to wakesurf. It is awesome but I only have stock ballast right now. Our wake with ballast is about as big as our old I/O wake on plane. So nothing too drastic with stock. I am coming from a huge lake with 100' or bigger boats on it so a little wake as big as an I/O is barely a bump. Now to wakesurf behind one of those big yachts..... now we are talking!