PDA

View Full Version : Transom Savers

chevy08bud
04-02-2008, 11:00 AM
I'm looking to make and mount a transom saver onto my swim platform. My question is: How are they normally mounted? Do they have drilled holes in the top with the screws attaching to the top of the platform, or are they screwed from the bottom of the platform? I'd figure that they would be screwed from the bottom in order to have a cleaner look and no exposed screw holes from the top, but want to make sure before I go putting holes in my teak.
Also, what is the width and thickness of the factory transom saver for a 205?

dsoby
04-02-2008, 11:16 AM
Mine is screwed with three screws from the top. I agree, it would look cleaner if you screw it from the bottom.

chevy08bud
04-02-2008, 11:24 AM
The only thing that I would worry about would be if the screws would hold as well from the bottom as they would from the top. Dsoby, did you add yours, or was it installed when you bought the boat?

coz
04-02-2008, 11:25 AM
I'm looking to make and mount a transom saver onto my swim platform. My question is: How are they normally mounted? Do they have drilled holes in the top with the screws attaching to the top of the platform, or are they screwed from the bottom of the platform? I'd figure that they would be screwed from the bottom in order to have a cleaner look and no exposed screw holes from the top, but want to make sure before I go putting holes in my teak.
Also, what is the width and thickness of the factory transom saver for a 205?

Is it like this one? http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=21181&page=2&highlight=transom+saver

LKNMC
04-02-2008, 11:40 AM
I think mine is screwed from the top as well

dsoby
04-02-2008, 11:45 AM
Mine is stock. It is an 02 and identical to the current platforms. The transom saver is a shaped 1" strip of teak that sits flat on the platform and hugs the boat's transom. It does a good job of protecting the gelcoat from careless people putting on skis and boards. There would be no reason for it not to be screwed from the bottom (instead of the top) if you made sure that you have the right length screws.

east tx skier
04-02-2008, 12:42 PM
I added one to my 205 and screwed from the bottom. Worked great. If there is any difference is holding power screwing one way versus the other, I didn't notice. It's not exactly like these things have any pressure on them.

DanC
04-02-2008, 12:52 PM
I made my own transom saver, screwed in from the bottom. I also was worried that there may not be enough screw thread in the soft teak to hold well. No problems in 5 years.

ttu
04-02-2008, 12:57 PM
here is mine. came from the factory and it is screwed in from the top.

scottkirbysavage
04-02-2008, 01:12 PM
I noticed on here that TeakWorld sells them but i can't find how to contact them. Does anyone have their phone number or website? Thanks

No Skeez
04-02-2008, 02:18 PM
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=20710&highlight=Transom+wrap

Not to completely Hi-Jack, but I'll plug the 3M wrap again, even though it's not the same look... I'll try to get a picture up this afternoon. We've got about 10 boats in for service right now that have had this done.

C36
04-02-2008, 02:20 PM
One more example - this one is "homemade" from a piece of 1" x 4" teak cut to fit and screwed with stainless steel screws from the bottom. The hardest part of this project was sourcing the teak. ;)

chevy08bud
04-02-2008, 02:29 PM
Those all look great, and thanks for the comments about how your transom saver is secured to your platform. I'm thinking that I'll probably just use a 1" piece of teak and cut it to keep with the same contour of transom and platform. The one that was posted with the spacers does give you something to think about, but I think that I'll stick with the factory type look and screw from the bottom since that seems to work.

dsoby
04-02-2008, 02:52 PM
That's exactly what I would do if I were you Chevy. You won't be disappointed.

No Skeez
04-03-2008, 03:57 PM
Here are a few of our boats that we wrapped the transom on. Most of our customers agree it works better than a teak transom saver, and costs around the same!

ShamrockIV
04-03-2008, 04:04 PM
teak worlds are awesome and they screw in from the bottom!!!
got one on my 205 and beat ur @$$ my 209 will have one as soon as i can call teakworld!!

bbeach
04-03-2008, 04:22 PM
Mine is screwed from the bottom - 4 years now, no problems...
http://www.greyststudio.com/trailer_back.jpg

vogelm1
04-03-2008, 05:54 PM
I ordered a piece of 3/4" raw teak from Buck Woodcraft (located in the Florida Keys) and cut my own transom saver using the rear contour of the transom as a template. I screwed mine in from the top, but counter-sunk the holes and made teak plugs from the scrap wood. After some hand sanding and application of Starbrite you'd think it was factory. It was maybe a little more work than many would care for, but price was right and I feel good everytime I look at it. :)

wakeX2wake
04-03-2008, 05:57 PM
I ordered a piece of 3/4" raw teak from Buck Woodcraft (located in the Florida Keys) and cut my own transom saver using the rear contour of the transom as a template. I screwed mine in from the top, but counter-sunk the holes and made teak plugs from the scrap wood. After some hand sanding and application of Starbrite you'd think it was factory. It was maybe a little more work than many would care for, but price was right and I feel good everytime I look at it. :)

pictures!!!

vogelm1
04-03-2008, 06:00 PM
pictures!!!

Shoot! Forgot the rules :cool: I'll round one up and post it.

Gonzo
04-03-2008, 07:29 PM
Are we sure this isnt a ghost post by Harold just to get everyone to post pics of their teak... u know how addicted he is.

vogelm1
04-03-2008, 08:32 PM
Shoot! Forgot the rules :cool: I'll round one up and post it.

Here you go! My teak needs a fresh coat of the 'white bottle'. On the to-do list a few weeks from now when weather warms up.

coz
09-05-2008, 09:14 AM
Here's how you do it without stickers or decals http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=21181&page=2&highlight=transom+saver

Compliments of old driver :D

oldriver
09-05-2008, 06:17 PM
Here is my idea of one .Had Tommy at teakworld make some blocks for mine.No scraches yet