PDA

View Full Version : LTR Engine Water Pump Replacement Tips?

deployedjosh
04-01-2008, 09:56 PM
Engine water recirculation pump (not the raw water impeller pump) is leaking pretty good at idle. Looks like its coming from the bottom somewhere as opposed to the weep hole on top. I suppose it could be the shaft, but either way, a replacement part is on it's way here. Any pointers on the work? It looks like a fairly straightforward deal, but if anyone has tips, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Josh
1999 X-Star
LTR 330hp
Hurth V drive

deployedjosh
04-10-2008, 09:19 PM
Well, just finished putting in the new pump. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was. Unlike a car water pump, the boat pump is a self contained unit. There are simply a couple holes on the block, and the water pump assembly has a couple fittings and gaskets to interface. I was anticipating having to scrape gaskets, RTV new ones, etc. like a car job, but this was much easier. Remove belt, remove 4 bolts on pulley, remove pulley, disconnect the pump intake hose, remove 4 bolts from the pump (1 of which is an alternator bracket bolt), remove pump. Install new pump/gaskets, connect hose, install 4 bolts to pump/block, install pulley with 4 bolts, install belt. Done. All in all, the only difficult part was lining up the new gaskets while getting the pump bolts started. Cranked her up and voila! No leaks. Took about an hour, and could probably do it again in only 15 minutes. Thanks SKIDIM for the quick shipping and affordable pump. (<$100)

JimN
04-11-2008, 12:47 AM
These are the same motor and water pump as on the truck motor. Cars have all kind of crap hanging off and they like to make it a real PITA to replace, especially when the nimrod at the car parts store has his head where it can't get enough oxygen and insists the one he handed me is what I needed, and then I go 20 miles away and remove the old one, only to find that he was wrong. So, I got to "reclaim" the coolant and reassemble everything so I could drive back and get the right part. Lucky for me I started early enough that cold New Year's Day 'cause I was 15 miles from home.

Sorry, I needed to rant. These are a piece of cake, compared with some motors.

99xstar
04-12-2008, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the post Josh. I noticed a few drops coming from the bottom side of mine also. Looks like I may be replacing mine soon. Your description makes it sound like I could handle it. Do you know the pump part number from Skidim?

Thanks
Mike

deployedjosh
04-13-2008, 09:40 PM
Mike,

Here's the pump:

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=WP-2232MN

If you only have a few drops, it may be fine. Mine was actually puking out water about a shot glass at a time every 6-9 seconds.

I'm sure that running in saltwater is what did mine in. I think I'll be sticking to freshwater this summer.