PDA

View Full Version : Gel coat maintenance

daverbeck
03-31-2008, 11:03 PM
Now that I've buffed and waxed the boat to get the gel coat looking reasonably good how do I maintain it? The boat sits on a lift with a canopy all summer. The passenger side faces west and really bleaches out.

I am looking for something that is easy to apply with the boat on the lift. I noticed that 303 claims that it is good for fiberglass too (I use it on the interior). Has anyone had any luck with using 303 every month or so to keep the gel coat from oxidizing?

Dave

94 ProSport 205

CPlane Pilot
03-31-2008, 11:13 PM
303 for the vinyl. Klasse All in One for the gel coat and metal.

TRBenj
04-01-2008, 08:15 AM
Now that I've buffed and waxed the boat to get the gel coat looking reasonably good how do I maintain it? The boat sits on a lift with a canopy all summer. The passenger side faces west and really bleaches out.

I am looking for something that is easy to apply with the boat on the lift. I noticed that 303 claims that it is good for fiberglass too (I use it on the interior). Has anyone had any luck with using 303 every month or so to keep the gel coat from oxidizing?

Dave

94 ProSport 205
Ive tried 303 on the gel and I dont like it. It looks blotchy and doesnt last very long. The very best thing you could do would be to cover up the sides of the boat that get the most sun. I would make up some pieces of heavy fabric to extend down from the canopy. Short of that, just keep a good coat of wax on the hull.

loeweb
04-01-2008, 11:07 AM
As previously mentioned I would drop a cloth over that side of the boat. You might be able to get a piece from a fabric shop or the company that made the canopy originally which would be a great match. Shouldn't be too expensive since you only need one side.

flipper
04-01-2008, 11:22 AM
I use this stuff every time I take the boat out. Works gread, everything will wipe right off. The people couldn't be better, and all their products work great. I would get their rags too if I were you.

One time a bottle broke during shipping, they sent me two the next day for the inconvenience.

http://www.babesboats.com/prodBoatBright.php

dsoby
04-01-2008, 11:40 AM
I have had good results with tennis court windscreen around my lift to keep the sun off of my boat.

wsrobert
04-04-2008, 06:45 AM
Nothing will work like a good boat cover. I keep mine on a trailer and it sits out in the sun all year. But since I keep a full cover over it, everything stays protected. It's a pain sometimes, but worth it.

2RLAKE
04-04-2008, 07:25 AM
i am a form believer in Babes boat products as well ... i wipe mine down each time ites out, vinyl conditioner each weekend and wax it each month ... got my kids on the routine to help too ... as soon as the boat goes up on the lift my son start wiping it down

daverbeck
04-04-2008, 09:31 PM
Bought the Babes product. We'll see how it works this summer.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Lennyp04
04-04-2008, 10:06 PM
Babes is good stuff! Works great!

flipper
04-04-2008, 10:36 PM
Bought the Babes product. We'll see how it works this summer.

Thanks for the suggestions.

It won't let you down....the only one the have that I wasn't impressed with is the "Spot Remover", but we have REALLY hard water here, and I tried it on a truck that got hit with sprinklers about a year before. Don't know if that's a fair test.:D

Did you get the rags????? The seat soap is great too!