PDA

View Full Version : Too close to dock

amayfield
03-31-2008, 08:50 PM
I got a little too close to a dock this weekend in my 95 MC ProStar 205.

I got a nice little "hickey" right on the very tip of the bow just above the rub rail.

Does anyone know where I might be able to find a "nose piece"/"nose bumper" to put on the front in case this happens again and to cover the "hickey". Maybe something like a "nose cone"???

Iman
03-31-2008, 09:05 PM
Never heard of such a thing.

You can buy gel coat repair kits at most marine supply stores. Or if it's in an are of white gelcoat, marinetex will work OK.

trickskier
03-31-2008, 09:08 PM
Need a Pic to be able to help.................

amayfield
03-31-2008, 09:21 PM
I am on the road working so can't get pics till later.

Sorry!

If you look at your picture_007, on the very tip of the bow, just above the rub rail, I knocked a chunk of fiberglass off.

I want to say I have seen a "nose bumper" somewhere that I can put on the tip and cover it up, however I have been unable to find it now. If not, maybe we need to start making them.

flipper
03-31-2008, 09:25 PM

Sorry!

If you look at your picture_007, on the very tip of the bow, just above the rub rail, I knocked a chunk of fiberglass off.

I want to say I have seen a "nose bumper" somewhere that I can put on the tip and cover it up, however I have been unable to find it now. If not, maybe we need to start making them.

or.....don't run into the dock:D

trickskier
03-31-2008, 09:25 PM

Sorry!

Not sure of a nose bumper.................Sounds like you're going to need some gelcoat work.

amayfield
03-31-2008, 10:36 PM
Yep!

Might just deal with it.

It is the first and only scratch/bump on boat. Can't be perfect forever.

Only thing that really sucks is that I was Sotally Tober when I did it.

Maybe I need to drink more.

TMCNo1
03-31-2008, 10:39 PM
You can always cover it up with a basketmaball,

88 PS190
03-31-2008, 10:48 PM
At your home dock I recommend you put a good set of boards to bump up against.

Else where just do not hit the dock.

defender1009
03-31-2008, 11:56 PM
doh! I did the same thing last week. Must be something in the water. Unfortunately in my case I was backing out of my slip, and a line got caught on the bow eye. It acted like a big rubber band and pulled me right back into the dock, putting a nice "dent" right above my rub rail. I'm not going the nose cone route, since it was a freak accident, but I'll be paying a visit to the gelcoat repair shop as well.

ridesdirt
04-01-2008, 12:10 AM
I had a loading incident which resulted in a scratch near the bow eye. Scratch is through the color. Can't get to upset with the driver, I have to live with her.

I did a search and it looks like gelcoat repair is pricey. Anyone care to post price they paid for what length scratch?

I would assume if you have a "dent", fiberglass repair will be needed first.

defender1009
04-01-2008, 12:39 AM
Oh yeah, fiberglass work is definitely neccessary in my case. I'll take a pic when I get a chance....supposed to rain all week here in SC, so it'll probably be the weekend.

coz
04-01-2008, 09:07 AM
Yep!

I was Sotally Tober when I did it.

Maybe I need to drink more.

Funny!

Try one of these. It protects the whole boat.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3117/2379315665_c8653e5097_o.jpg
:D

TMCNo1
04-01-2008, 10:46 AM
Moses may have been stoned when he dropped the 3rd tablet containing 5 more commandments that started with #11, " Thou Shalt Noteth Runeth Botes Intoeth Docks"!:rolleyes: :D

flipper
04-01-2008, 11:11 AM
:uglyhamme :uglyhamme Moses may have been stoned when he dropped the 3rd tablet containing 5 more commandments that started with #11, " Thou Shalt Noteth Runeth Botes Intoeth Docks"!:rolleyes: :D

coz
04-01-2008, 11:25 AM
Thou Shalt Noteth Runeth Botes Intoeth Docks"!

You sure your not a Pastor? :confused: you always come up with these great biblical phrases that could only come frome someone who knows :confused: Halleluiah amen! :D

TMCNo1
04-01-2008, 11:42 AM
You sure your not a Pastor? :confused: you always come up with these great biblical phrases that could only come frome someone who knows :confused: Halleluiah amen!

No, but I have always been intrigued by the business opportunities of a
"Float In Church and Baptismal Boat Wash"!:rolleyes: :D

flipper
04-01-2008, 11:49 AM
With teak to kneel on?

coz
04-01-2008, 11:50 AM

Hey!!!!!???? you may have something there :D I have some capital let's get it going! MBN (mastercraft broadcast network) On every lake and TV in the nation, Like I said, Halleluiah amen! :D

ShamrockIV
04-01-2008, 11:54 AM
and the congregation says" AMEN!!!"

phecksel
04-01-2008, 02:09 PM
Church of Teak

Friend of mine just to show how ridiculous things have gotten, started a church, bunch of them became ordained ministers, just on the air/fuel ratio of engines.

ShamrockIV
04-01-2008, 02:22 PM
too close to dock???

man we need pics. how loud was the crunch???

amayfield
04-01-2008, 06:20 PM
sorry been working!

They expect me to do that sometimes.

I am on the road this week so I will not have any pics till maybe thurs/friday. Sorry!

It was loud! I thought it had hit my bump rail and broke a board on the dock. I only wish.

Just bought the boat, second time I had it in the water, and no other scratches on it. I might leave it there to scared away anymore dock gremlins.

phecksel
04-01-2008, 06:30 PM
sorry been working!

They expect me to do that sometimes.

I am on the road this week so I will not have any pics till maybe thurs/friday. Sorry!

It was loud! I thought it had hit my bump rail and broke a board on the dock. I only wish.

Just bought the boat, second time I had it in the water, and no other scratches on it. I might leave it there to scared away anymore dock gremlins.

See, now the bad stuff is out of the way. First scratch is always the hardest. Parking my boat is sometimes a praying session with 2' waves coming in and bouncing off the seawall. It's gonna get banged around, I just try to quickly get it centered and get the lift moving.

Lennyp04
04-01-2008, 06:32 PM
See, now the bad stuff is out of the way. First scratch is always the hardest. Parking my boat is sometimes a praying session with 2' waves coming in and bouncing off the seawall. It's gonna get banged around, I just try to quickly get it centered and get the lift moving.

You people and your lifts. Try having 1 1/2 foot waves coming at the back of the boat docking in a dock thats wide enough but not to much extra.....in 3.3' of water.

Try not to f that up.

amayfield
04-01-2008, 06:33 PM
My thought exactly! Maybe I will start blowing my horn before coming in to scare the gremlins off. When I had a Harley, we put bells on them to scare away the road gremlins. It seemed to work.

That is what happened to me. I was letting my niece off at the dock and the waves started and.... you know the rest.

Lennyp04
04-01-2008, 06:35 PM
My thought exactly! Maybe I will start blowing my horn before coming in to scare the gremlins off. When I had a Harley, we put bells on them to scare away the road gremlins. It seemed to work.

That is what happened to me. I was letting my niece off at the dock and the waves started and.... you know the rest.

Tell her to swim next time.

amayfield
04-01-2008, 06:37 PM
Good thought!

Lennyp04
04-01-2008, 06:40 PM
We normally just let people off the bow....then again the lake is calm....and we all have cell phones and things that can't get wet!

flipper
04-01-2008, 06:49 PM
I back in most of the time....have them step off the teak.

Lennyp04
04-01-2008, 06:51 PM
I back in most of the time....have them step off the teak.

Hey whatever keeps your boat off the dock!8p

atlfootr
04-01-2008, 08:51 PM
2 words ....
RAMBO MARINE