PDA

View Full Version : To Diesel or Not to Diesel, that is the question?

jkski
03-31-2008, 11:09 AM
OK, so I still haven't pulled the trigger on the next truck, however, I am narrowed down to 3 choices.
All 3 trucks are GMC Crew Cab, 4x4, shortbed, loaded:
1) 2006 1500HD w/6.0, 33K miles for $24K(OTD)
2) 2006 2500HD w/DMAX/Allison, 39Kmiles for $29K(OTD)
3) 2005 2500HD w/6.0L, 28K miles for $25K(OTD)

Primarily used for hauling boats ranging from 3Klbs - 9Klbs and the occassional tractor or bobcat. In addition, used for towing 2 place snowmobie trailer, and some plowing.
All together I put about 15K miles on per year and the truck sits in the garage when it is not being used as stated above.

So, given the price of diesel and everything else, which one would you buy?

flipper
03-31-2008, 11:12 AM
#2 for sure. Don't get 1500 if you plan on hauling a bobcat and tractors around. Your truck will hate you.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-31-2008, 11:14 AM
My vote #2

flipper
03-31-2008, 11:15 AM
You should turn this into a poll, make it easier to see the results.

wakeX2wake
#2... most truck for price... diesel sucks to pay for but it will be a much better truck w/ the diesel and alli tranny... if you're buying a gas burner you got to go w/ a toyota

Workin' 4 Toys
Don't they recommend against hanging a plow on the front of a crew cab diesel?

lanier92prostar
Based on the mileage, I think you will break even with the gas vs diesel costs. My Duramax gets 4-6 more miles per gallon than my 6 liter gas ever got. If you are getting it the haul the larger boats and the bobcat, I would go with the diesel. If you only haul those occasionally, then take your pic. I love my duramax, but I haul a 15K 5th wheel camper so I need it. Right now, I am using it for my daily driver, but if gas prices go up much, I will be looking for a car that gets 28-30 to use for my daily driver.:twocents:

jkski
03-31-2008, 11:16 AM
Even with the diesel fuel prices edging up towards the $5/gallon mark, your opinion is to go with the diesel..surprises me, but that is why I ask the question.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-31-2008, 11:16 AM
#2... most truck for price... diesel sucks to pay for but it will be a much better truck w/ the diesel and alli tranny... if you're buying a gas burner you got to go w/ a toyota

I was following along until you dropped that stupid comment at the end.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-31-2008, 11:18 AM
Even with the diesel fuel prices edging up towards the $5/gallon mark, your opinion is to go with the diesel..surprises me, but that is why I ask the question.

Primarily used for towing, no doubt.

flipper
True dat!!!!!!!!

jkski
Don't they recommend against hanging a plow on the front of a crew cab diesel?

I used to think that, but I have seen a lot of them running around, so it must be OK. Kep in mind though, I am buying used, so voiding a new car warranty is not a concern of mine, which may be why they advise not hanging a plow on the front of these.

lanier92prostar
03-31-2008, 11:21 AM

By my calculations, I am still paying the same for fuel. I am getting about 15to 25% better fuel mileage in the city with the diesel over over the 6 liter. So if gas is 3 dollars and diesel is 4 dollars, I am coming close to paying the same amount for fuel. Plus my towing mileage is much better, 10 to 12 mpg with the diesel vs 6 to 8 with the gas.

flipper
03-31-2008, 11:59 AM
I used to think that, but I have seen a lot of them running around, so it must be OK. Kep in mind though, I am buying used, so voiding a new car warranty is not a concern of mine, which may be why they advise not hanging a plow on the front of these.

Be careful....you see people beaching their new boats too, but I wouldn't do it. I know nothing about the snow plow deal, but just saying be careful.

D-MAX-Star
03-31-2008, 12:23 PM
Pull a boat with the gas then the diesel there is no comparison you will buy the diesel on the spot. Plus if you add a chip and get another 50hp it is amazing. I have 2001 Duramax chiped, exaust, intake, and it will beat most cars. And I bet gas will be $4 this summer if not it will be close.

stuartmcnair
03-31-2008, 12:24 PM
go with the diesel...the mileage increase will offset the more expensive fuel. Also, the maintenance will be less on the diesel and the engine and trans should last much longer to help offset the initial cost

Workin' 4 Toys
03-31-2008, 12:25 PM
I've seen people tow 6000#+ boats with Jeep grand cherokees too, doesn't mean it's ok..;)

76S&S
03-31-2008, 12:26 PM
Stuartmcnair........check your PM's

sorry for the threadjack...back to topic

jkski
03-31-2008, 12:26 PM
Won't diesel fuel climb at the same rate as gas does though, or am I missing something? I realize the fuel economy aspect helps to offset the added cost, I'm just curious.

wakeX2wake
03-31-2008, 12:31 PM

drive one... better yet drive mine... chevy is a POS gas burner

D-MAX-Star
03-31-2008, 12:34 PM
In the summer their is less demand for heating oil. But if you do all the cost it is really just a push. But the deisel just makes towing a plesure not a hassel. My $.02

Sodar
03-31-2008, 12:46 PM

I gotta agree with the man! The new tundras are really, really nice. :)

ShamrockIV
03-31-2008, 01:17 PM
buy the diesel!!!!!!

tr6coug
03-31-2008, 01:26 PM
#2. Right now even with the premium price on diesel, it is still cheaper by a few cents per mile than gas. Tow with a diesel and you won't want to go back to gas.

6ballsisall
03-31-2008, 01:38 PM
#2. Right now even with the premium price on diesel, it is still cheaper by a few cents per mile than gas. Tow with a diesel and you won't want to go back to gas.

I too agree it's MUCH more enjoyable pulling with a newer Diesel than a same year gasser. That said, you'll struggle REALLY hard to monetize any actual savings on the diesel vs. a gas even when towing. Don't forget to take into account the higher price of the diesel motor option/expense regardless of if it's new or used.

rspiecha
03-31-2008, 01:52 PM
#2 but I might be biased. Is that the LLY or LBZ Duramax engine??? They had both for 2006.

Rob

jkski
03-31-2008, 01:52 PM
Never having owned a diesel, can someone clue me in to the additional expenses, other than fuel?
Oil Change...how much and how often?
Fuel Filters....how much and how often?
Anything else?

lanier92prostar
03-31-2008, 01:54 PM
I too agree it's MUCH more enjoyable pulling with a newer Diesel than a same year gasser. That said, you'll struggle REALLY hard to monetize any actual savings on the diesel vs. a gas even when towing. Don't forget to take into account the higher price of the diesel motor option/expense regardless of if it's new or used.

I agree that there is no savings with a diesel. I think it all equals out in the end. You spend more money on the option, but ideally, it should last longer with no major mechanical expenses. It all depends on what you tow and how much you tow as far as distances are concerned. I only have a diesel because I have to because of the camper. Working For Toys was correct in that regard.

erkoehler
03-31-2008, 01:56 PM
#2.....I am leaning towards diesel for my next vehicle. Too much towing not to do it......

wakeX2wake
03-31-2008, 01:57 PM
oil changes half as often but cost twice as much... rotate and balance tires twice as much less tire life (due to more weight on truck)... better pulling mileage... it all kind of evens out... 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of the other

lanier92prostar
03-31-2008, 01:57 PM
Never having owned a diesel, can someone clue me in to the additional expenses, other than fuel?
Anything else?

Oil changes are at about the same interval as a gas, I usually go just a little longer and the cost is much more because you are using more oil. As far as other maintenace, just changing the fuel filter is all I have had done in 60K miles. I think that all equals out also in the long run when determining the expense. I also have no knowledge of using a snow plow on a crew cab. I would talk with a dealer for that info.

6ballsisall
03-31-2008, 01:59 PM
Anything else?

Parts that go out generally are more expensive

lanier92prostar
03-31-2008, 02:00 PM
oil changes half as often but cost twice as much... rotate and balance tires twice as much less tire life (due to more weight on truck)... better pulling mileage... it all kind of evens out... 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of the other

I agree with the tire issue. I am going through a set every 25 to 30K because of the weight of the trailer I am towing. I make sure I buy tires with some type of treadwear warranty if I can find them. He will have to have load range E tires for any of the vehicles he has narrowed the choices down to, which adds to the expense of the tires.

6ballsisall
03-31-2008, 02:00 PM
I agree that there is no savings with a diesel. I think it all equals out in the end. You spend more money on the option, but ideally, it should last longer with no major mechanical expenses. It all depends on what you tow and how much you tow as far as distances are concerned. I only have a diesel because I have to because of the camper. Working For Toys was correct in that regard.

I'm all about the diesel too. I miss my old Cummins greatly. It was a fun truck!

BTW, I dont know of any issues with a plow on a diesel. Mine had the plow package and a plow on it twice. I know lots of guys that plow with Diesels.

lanier92prostar
03-31-2008, 02:01 PM
Parts that go out generally are more expensive

100K warranty on any of the duramax diesels.

lanier92prostar
03-31-2008, 02:02 PM
I'm all about the diesel too. I miss my old Cummins greatly. It was a fun truck!

With fuel prices, I wish I could have a great gas mileage car for my work commute. Maybe this summer I will get something. JRandol, how is the new job?

6ballsisall
03-31-2008, 02:03 PM
100K warranty on any of the duramax diesels.

You beat me to it before I could go back an edit. I meant after warranty purpose, or in my case, mine was out of warranty after about 9k miles of being new. ;)

lanier92prostar
03-31-2008, 02:05 PM
I had more problems with stuff going wrong on my gas burners trying to tow campers. If he just tows boats occasionally, I don't think it matters which he gets. FYI, a 1500HD with the 6.0 is basically the same truck as the 2500HD with the 6.0.

wakeX2wake
03-31-2008, 02:07 PM
the weight of the 2500 will help massive amounts w/ the traction and all pushing a snow plow

6ballsisall
03-31-2008, 02:07 PM
With fuel prices, I wish I could have a great gas mileage car for my work commute. Maybe this summer I will get something. JRandol, how is the new job?

i did the math the other day on a good gas mileage type car. At least in my situation it wouldn't pay out, I don't drive enough miles to own a commuter car. Thats after I factored in insurance, cost of ownership of 2nd (3rd) car etc....

lanier92prostar
03-31-2008, 02:08 PM
the weight of the 2500 will help massive amounts w/ the traction and all pushing a snow plow

I was only thinking towing purposes. Forgot about that point!

wakeX2wake
03-31-2008, 02:08 PM
i did the math the other day on a good gas mileage type car. At least in my situation it wouldn't pay out, I don't drive enough miles to own a commuter car. Thats after I factored in insurance, cost of ownership of 2nd (3rd) car etc....

insurance and tags were the deal breakers w/ me

lanier92prostar
03-31-2008, 02:10 PM
I would be primarily buying a 3rd car to keep some of the mileage off the truck, and to offset some of the fuel costs. I am averaging around 25K per year on the truck.

6ballsisall
03-31-2008, 02:11 PM
^^^ Forgot to point out I do about 12k miles a year commuter miles only.

flipper
03-31-2008, 02:11 PM
I have a Dodge Cummings dually, and love it. I did buy a $2,000 piece of junk '86 ford ranger 4 banger for the commute though. Saves me quite a bit of money. I commute about 110-120 miles a day though, so just the tires alone would kill me in the dodge.

tr6coug
03-31-2008, 02:45 PM
If you get the Dmax, make sure to put an edge module in it. Easiest HP upgrade I've ever done...

http://www.edgeproducts.com/index.php

Workin' 4 Toys
03-31-2008, 02:58 PM
On the snow plow. I am almost positive you could not buy a snow plow package on a crew cab with a diesel in '06. Or for '08 for that matter.
In short, I believe that means it wouldn't have the dual alternators, "HD" front springs, and "HD" cooling fan clutch. Although perhaps they could have been ordered individually.:confused:
I'm NOT saying it can't be done. Just sayin' the dealers know it couldn't be ordered, and IF something were to happen, would they care?....Depends on the dealer/service writer I suppose.
If a snow plow is required. One might look into air assist bags for the front suspension, and some sort of ballast weight in the middle to help center the weight in addition to the items listed above.

Edit: The reason for the concern is the weight rating of the front axle assemblies I believe.

flipper
03-31-2008, 02:59 PM
Easy HP for sure, but you have to be careful with those. I know more than one person who have blown up engines with those things. None of them had a clue about diesel engines though, they just thought all the power was neat pulling a hill.

lanier92prostar
03-31-2008, 03:11 PM
If you get the Dmax, make sure to put an edge module in it. Easiest HP upgrade I've ever done...

http://www.edgeproducts.com/index.php

Be carefull with adding programmers when towing. EGT's can get too hot and sometimes the transmissions are not capable of handling the extra HP when towing. Do your research and get the programmer that fits your needs and spend the money on any exhaust modifications that need to be made. I have also heard of a lot of people that put the programmers on the diesels to get the HP gain and blow up the turbo when they are towing.

tr6coug
03-31-2008, 04:22 PM
Be carefull with adding programmers when towing. EGT's can get too hot and sometimes the transmissions are not capable of handling the extra HP when towing. Do your research and get the programmer that fits your needs and spend the money on any exhaust modifications that need to be made. I have also heard of a lot of people that put the programmers on the diesels to get the HP gain and blow up the turbo when they are towing.

Good point. If you get the edge juice module EGT gauges are a must and keep a watch on the transmission temp.

jkski
03-31-2008, 04:34 PM
WOW, this is some great info and much appreciated. It is very unlikely that I would do any type of mods to the truck, I tend to just run stock on everything. Being that this would not be a daily driver, as I have a little 92 Mazda MX3 for that, it would simply serve as a tow and work vehicle for the weekends. A lot of highway pulling typically.

Again, thanks for all of the input, it is greatly appeciated

VTJC
03-31-2008, 05:33 PM
I vote diesel as well. I don’t think the current diesel price premium is a shift in the market, just temporary. Historically I find diesel is higher in winter and lower in the summer. But should make for some ammo for bargaining. This country runs on diesel, so there is probably a more organized lobby to fight high diesel prices than gas.

captain planet
03-31-2008, 05:49 PM
JK, get the diesel. They run forever, they get better fuel economy, they pull better, and they sound cool. Not only that, you can put a Banks kit on it and it will run like nothing else. Just ask our friendly Tennesseeian that has had his quad cab since 2003. He has a banks kit on his. I'm sure he would have you asking yourself why you would even consider a gas truck for what you do. Resale will also be better on a diesel in 2020 when you are ready to sell it.

Datdude
03-31-2008, 06:20 PM
Diesel gets my vote too. I am on my 4th diesel truck and have a hard time seeing myself go back to gas......even with higher fuel prices. I am curious to know whether that Duramax is the LBZ or LLY model. A quick way to tell is if the Duramax writing on the door badge is blue or red. If it is blue, it is a LBZ. That motor has 360hp/650ft/lb torque. I think the LLY was around 315hp:confused: ? A good resource for Duramax owners is www.dieselplace.com as there are a lot of smart people (like Team Talk). Good luck!

Forgot to mention the advantage to a 2006 Duramax is that it does not have all of the pollution control stuff(Diesel particulate filter) that is hurting mileage a little bit

duckguy
03-31-2008, 06:26 PM
Hey Dat, I traded my 05 LLY in for an 07 LBZ classic. LBZ is quieter, more powerful and the 6 spped trans is so nice. and yeah the new 08 LMM with all the emmision stuff is garbage in my book. I love my new truck.

Ski-me
03-31-2008, 06:57 PM
Were looking at costs too. I plugged in your trucks and gave a look. Diesel is the way to go, cost wise.

DZ011
03-31-2008, 07:27 PM
I had a 1997 3/4 Cummins 4wd ext. cab which I traded for a 1998 2dr 4wd Tahoe 5.7ltr gas.
Don't really miss the noise that much. OR the turn radius.
I miss everything else, especially the RESALE value.
DZ011

jkski
03-31-2008, 07:42 PM
Were looking at costs too. I plugged in your trucks and gave a look. Diesel is the way to go, cost wise.

That is a great tool, tanks for plugging it all in, certainly tells the tale.
Thanks again everyone.

jkski
03-31-2008, 07:44 PM
JK, get the diesel. They run forever, they get better fuel economy, they pull better, and they sound cool. Not only that, you can put a Banks kit on it and it will run like nothing else. Just ask our friendly Tennesseeian that has had his quad cab since 2003. He has a banks kit on his. I'm sure he would have you asking yourself why you would even consider a gas truck for what you do. Resale will also be better on a diesel in 2020 when you are ready to sell it.

CP,
2020, that's cutting it a bit short isn't it....boats are the only thing that I go through every couple of years. I'm figuring at least 2030 before I have to get something different!!!

Datdude
03-31-2008, 10:53 PM
Hey Dat, I traded my 05 LLY in for an 07 LBZ classic. LBZ is quieter, more powerful and the 6 spped trans is so nice. and yeah the new 08 LMM with all the emmision stuff is garbage in my book. I love my new truck.

Congrats on the new ride! Did you deal with Lenz again?

My 2007.5 LMM is a great truck. I think the ride/handling/interior is better than my 2006 was....which is saying a lot since that was a nice truck. I only have 7500 miles on this one, and the mileage(empty) is only about 2mpg less than my 2006 was with 35,000 miles. As it breaks in I expect it to get a lot better.

Ski-me
03-31-2008, 11:52 PM
That is a great tool, tanks for plugging it all in, certainly tells the tale.
Thanks again everyone.

No problem. I've been working on it for quite some time and I left out some other factors such as depreciation and then the re-sale value at the end of 5 years. I was trying it on both of our vehicles. Right now, I think our 04' Volvo XC 90 is going away for a Camry Hybrid. It can save us a lot of money after a 5 year period.....especially if we hit $4/gal.

I looked at my suburban with the 8.1L and I get on average of 11 MPG. My buddy had a duramax crew cab and he was getting 20-22 mpg. Nice difference in mileage but the duramax has a premium price plus the higher cost of diesel. At the end of 4 years, I think it cost me about $4000 more to keep the sub......and I would also lose the third seat. Not worth at this time...

D-MAX-Star
04-01-2008, 11:10 AM
Just picked up the latest issue of Diesel Power Mag. And they had an article talking about how you can now buy a Duramax (LMM) marine motor that is the same size as a Chevy big bock. They made it sound like it was a very easy swap. Donít have the magazine with me now but will look at it later and post specs.

flya750
04-01-2008, 12:23 PM
I would be primarily buying a 3rd car to keep some of the mileage off the truck, and to offset some of the fuel costs. I am averaging around 25K per year on the truck.

I agree about the need for a second car... It keeps the miles low on the truck. Who wants to buy a $40k truck every 6-9 years?

I recently bought a used commuter car.. and the money I save in truck gas money goes to the car payment. Whilst keeping my truck in pristine condition and ready for use as a tool to tow the boat. Once the my used commuter car is paid for.. the cost savings will be immense! Yes, I still have extra insurance and maintenance payments for the two vehicles.. but my $40k truck should give me 15 years easily used only as a tool to tow the boat.

Initially, the extra car does not really make financial sense... but factor it in over 10 years then I believe it begins to make good sense.

These times are a changing... and anyone who commutes with a truck now a days.. I just don't understand it?

wakeX2wake
04-01-2008, 12:27 PM
Just picked up the latest issue of Diesel Power Mag. And they had an article talking about how you can now buy a Duramax (LMM) marine motor that is the same size as a Chevy big bock. They made it sound like it was a very easy swap. Donít have the magazine with me now but will look at it later and post specs.

MC not long ago was prototyping a diesel engine in their boats... not sure how it ever worked out but me a friend had a lengthy convorsation about the practicality, pros and cons, and utility of such a project

LKNMC
04-01-2008, 12:27 PM
+1 for #2 the engine will out last your truck

duckguy
04-01-2008, 12:42 PM
I did. It is a white crew again, my neighbors would not of known I got a new truck. New one has heated leather which is nice. The new LMM trucks have a sweet interior. I would of liked to get an 08 2500 with the lbz but alas, That was not an option.

BrianM
04-01-2008, 12:45 PM
MC not long ago was prototyping a diesel engine in their boats... not sure how it ever worked out but me a friend had a lengthy convorsation about the practicality, pros and cons, and utility of such a project

The diesel is available in the Prostar and the X Star as an approximately $30k option. That buys LOTS of gas.

wakeX2wake
04-01-2008, 12:47 PM
The diesel is available in the Prostar and the X Star as an approximately $30k option. That buys LOTS of gas.

that's retarted to even offer... why did they not just wait until bio deisel has a more prevalent spot in the market?... to say they've been offering the engine WAY before everybody else?

6ballsisall
04-01-2008, 12:51 PM
that's retarted to even offer... why did they not just wait until bio deisel has a more prevalent spot in the market?... to say they've been offering the engine WAY before everybody else?

How does the high cost of the engine have anything to do with the availability of Bio-Diesel? Diesel conversions have been around for a while. The whole thing just isn't catching on. Could you imagine a 197 going for mid 80's??

BrianM
04-01-2008, 12:52 PM
. to say they've been offering the engine WAY before everybody else?

Probably so. Rembere MC is...The Leader and Pulling Farther Ahead

6ballsisall
04-01-2008, 12:54 PM
Probably so. Rembere MC is...The Leader and Pulling Farther Ahead
In price??? :D

ShamrockIV
04-01-2008, 12:54 PM
deisel mc would be a prob on our lake since only one dock sells it!!!!

6ballsisall
04-01-2008, 12:58 PM
deisel mc would be a prob on our lake since only one dock sells it!!!!

Same problem on probably about 80% of all US lakes

wakeX2wake
04-01-2008, 01:01 PM
here gas on the water at the local marina was $3.79 and diesel $3.00... thank god i trailer my boat to the water... the bad thing about that is... the diesel price is only about 10 cents cheaper at a regular station where gas is about 65 cents cheaper

jimmer2880
04-01-2008, 04:05 PM
I have a Dodge Cummings dually, and love it. I did buy a $2,000 piece of junk '86 ford ranger 4 banger for the commute though. Saves me quite a bit of money. I commute about 110-120 miles a day though, so just the tires alone would kill me in the dodge.

You need to get a VW TDI (Diesel). They get anywhere between 45 and 55 mpg.

I used to own a Wrangler as my "commuter" car, driving 120 a day. Even with Diesel prices the way they are, I'm still saving about $200.00 each month. Not to mention, now I only have to fill up once per week (700 miles on a tank).

flipper
04-01-2008, 04:13 PM
You need to get a VW TDI (Diesel). They get anywhere between 45 and 55 mpg.

I used to own a Wrangler as my "commuter" car, driving 120 a day. Even with Diesel prices the way they are, I'm still saving about $200.00 each month. Not to mention, now I only have to fill up once per week (700 miles on a tank).
A friend of mine has one of those. They do go forever on a tank!!!! If I had the money to buy one, I would for sure.

jkski
04-01-2008, 05:09 PM
Diesel gets my vote too. I am on my 4th diesel truck and have a hard time seeing myself go back to gas......even with higher fuel prices. I am curious to know whether that Duramax is the LBZ or LLY model. A quick way to tell is if the Duramax writing on the door badge is blue or red. If it is blue, it is a LBZ. That motor has 360hp/650ft/lb torque. I think the LLY was around 315hp:confused: ? A good resource for Duramax owners is www.dieselplace.com as there are a lot of smart people (like Team Talk). Good luck!

Forgot to mention the advantage to a 2006 Duramax is that it does not have all of the pollution control stuff(Diesel particulate filter) that is hurting mileage a little bit

Just found out it is the LBZ and with a VIN check also found that it had the glowplug control module re-programmed and a rear wiper nozzle replaced at roughly 27K miles.

jkski
04-13-2008, 09:49 AM
Well....I FINALLY pulled the trigger and drove home the 2006 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed 4x4 w/Dmax(LBZ). Signed all the papers yesterday and now the beast is in the driveway.
It took a lot of deliberating, but in the end, all the figures pointed towards the diesel being the way to go even with the current fuel prices.

So, thanks to everyone who commented on the various threads I have started during my search. Your input and advice was great and much appreciated.

stuartmcnair
04-13-2008, 11:12 AM
Well....I FINALLY pulled the trigger and drove home the 2006 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed 4x4 w/Dmax(LBZ). Signed all the papers yesterday and now the beast is in the driveway.
It took a lot of deliberating, but in the end, all the figures pointed towards the diesel being the way to go even with the current fuel prices.

So, thanks to everyone who commented on the various threads I have started during my search. Your input and advice was great and much appreciated.

camera broken???

Ski-me
04-13-2008, 11:13 AM

Congrats! Let's see some pics now.

If I were going to get rid of the suburban, I would get the same setup as you. Crew cab, short box, Dmax. Enjoy!

jkski
04-13-2008, 01:37 PM
camera broken???

It is raining here in Ohio, and I can't bring myself to take a photo of a dirty truck. I'll snap some photo's hopefully later this week and post them.....maybe even a few with the boat attached!!!

mtrask
04-13-2008, 05:17 PM
Go Diesel. No Regrets. Tough to believe Diesel will not stabilize shortly.

capnkirk52
04-21-2008, 07:52 PM
I was gonna say if you were at low elevation to get the gas motor but chevy 6.0 is a turd for fuel. My rec was gonna be the 6.8L V-10 from Ford.

You guys have to be crazy with the figures of the Dmax getting 20 MPG city. Guys that use them for farm use (stop and go just like city driving) are seeing 12-14 in San Luis Valley, Colorado. For reference, my '05 powerstroke sees 14MPG average.

Six speed is the best thing about that truck. I would think twice about any performance module. They are sweet but if you blow a turbo or trans, say hello to a huge bill $5k+ !!!

mess33
04-21-2008, 10:58 PM
diesel with the allison tranny is hands down the best combo

Datdude
04-22-2008, 10:59 AM
congrats on the new ride! You are going to love it. We NEED some pictures!:cool:

6ballsisall
04-22-2008, 11:02 AM
I was gonna say if you were at low elevation to get the gas motor but chevy 6.0 is a turd for fuel. My rec was gonna be the 6.8L V-10 from Ford.

You guys have to be crazy with the figures of the Dmax getting 20 MPG city. Guys that use them for farm use (stop and go just like city driving) are seeing 12-14 in San Luis Valley, Colorado. For reference, my '05 powerstroke sees 14MPG average.

Six speed is the best thing about that truck. I would think twice about any performance module. They are sweet but if you blow a turbo or trans, say hello to a huge bill $5k+ !!!

My 02 Cummins 2500 Xcab long bed 4x4 w/ 3.54 gears could bring 19mpg all day long @ 75 mph no big deal. It happens.

Datdude
04-22-2008, 12:36 PM
My 02 Cummins 2500 Xcab long bed 4x4 w/ 3.54 gears could bring 19mpg all day long @ 75 mph no big deal. It happens.

I think the Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel fuel is taking at least 1-2mpg away. My first diesel was a 2000 F-250 Crew/Short 4x4 with the 7.3L Powerstroke. The original owner added a 75hp chip and a K&N air filter. Empty on the highway I would get 20mpg with no problem. I sold that one and got the 2005 Ram 3500 SRW Quad/Short 4x4. That 5.9L Cummins was getting around 19mpg empty on the highway. Right around the time i picked up my 2006 Chevy they were switching to ULSD fuel and the best I could get was around 16-17mpg. My current 2007.5 Duramax LMM with the pollution control stuff is getting about 16mpg on the highway. It has 9K on it right now and I hope to see a little bit more MPG as it breaks in.

magnum
04-22-2008, 12:50 PM
Has anyone had good luck to adding the tuner chips to increase mileage, If so what is the best tuner out there that is reasonably priced . Have a 2004 F250 Power stroke but still under warranty , thought it might void the warranty. I get about 17 to 19 on hwy but pulling drops it to about 10 to 12

Upper Michigan Prostar190
04-22-2008, 12:54 PM
Diesels are just plain un neccessary unless you tow or haul LARGE loads VERY often. if you have a need for the power then its fine, but otherwise, it will never pay.

6ballsisall
04-22-2008, 12:57 PM
Has anyone had good luck to adding the tuner chips to increase mileage, If so what is the best tuner out there that is reasonably priced . Have a 2004 F250 Power stroke but still under warranty , thought it might void the warranty. I get about 17 to 19 on hwy but pulling drops it to about 10 to 12

I don't know much about the powerjokes :D but on the Cummins motors prior to the current motor yes you could gain power. My truck stock increased mpg by close to 2mpg with RV275 injectors. I later went to some stage 5's along with a whole bunch of other mods and even then as long as I kept my foot out of it there really wasn't a mileage drop. Put your foot into it and thats a whole different story. :D

First things first, GET GAUGES BEFORE you do any mods. And yes, power mods will void your warranty.

lanier92prostar
04-22-2008, 01:57 PM
I don't know much about the powerjokes :D but on the Cummins motors prior to the current motor yes you could gain power. My truck stock increased mpg by close to 2mpg with RV275 injectors. I later went to some stage 5's along with a whole bunch of other mods and even then as long as I kept my foot out of it there really wasn't a mileage drop. Put your foot into it and thats a whole different story. :D

First things first, GET GAUGES BEFORE you do any mods. And yes, power mods will void your warranty.

Defininately get the gauges if you plan on adding a lot of power. You can burn up your turbo QUICKLY if the EGT's get too hot. I haven't noticed a mileage increase or decrease, though I haven't added a lot of power to mine, just 60 HP. I did notice it pulls hills better under a load without wanting to shift all the time.l

capnkirk52
04-23-2008, 09:29 AM

I believe 19 MPG on the highway but this guy is expecting ~20MPG average (city/hwy). There is no way on this earth he will see that. On the page before this, there was a graph another member made on cost of ownership. He used 20mpg as a basis and said it was cheaper to own the diesel.

In my experience, the diesel is way more expensive to operate.

capnkirk52
04-23-2008, 09:33 AM

Chips will get you power at the same MPG. Had one on all my powerstrokes and never really got an overall increase. Whatever increase in mpg I had on highway trips, I burned up by loving the power and hauling *** other places.

My recomendation: Look on thedieselstop.com (i think thats it), find a reputable tuner close to you. Call him and tell him what you want the tune for and then purchase the tuner and a custom tune from him. Most reputable tuners have done this long enough they can get you set over the phone or email.

Carbon Dreams
04-23-2008, 11:05 AM
With my '06 Cummins, I was getting 15 mpg around town. After stacking a Superchips Flashpaq and an Edge Attitude, I get 20-21 on the same routes. On road trips, I seem to average 24 Mpg around 65. This is measured at the pump not the computer. I am running 37" tires and still have stock gearing 3.73. I also have a built tranny and Truflow intake. Next is exhaust and ultimately turbo(s). :D

As far as the Fords, you will improve mileage with an edge attitude system, but not as much as you would like. Most of the diesel mileage gains can be attained by free flow 4" exhaust with a matching intake. Other than that, you are kinda stuck with the engine design. Most of the 6.0 Fords around here run pretty well and get reasonable mileage. Just be careful not to add more than 80-100 hp on the stock engine and turbo. It will grenade spectacularly!

ALBERTASKIER
04-23-2008, 12:17 PM
In regards to the plow. You can go onto most of the plow manufactures web sites and find out which plow will fit your truck. It mostly will have to do with weight. If you are not doing commercial plowing you will have no problem. If you are looking to put a big commercial plow on your truck you will have to do your research. I have an 05 duramax and have been plowing with it for 4 seasons now, not one problem. You will want to look into timbrens of firestone air shocks for the front suspension to help with the weight of the plow. I think all 06 duramax came with the clutch fan so that shouldn't be a problem. The stock alt. should be ok. Mine is only 105 amp and I have had no problems. GM will only warranty trucks with plows through the standard warranty period. No extended warranty for plow trucks. In my humble opinion I think there is minimal cost savings if any with a diesel. But, if you pull anything that is moderate to heavy in weight you will never regret it. I also think 06 to 07.5 are the best duramax. The 6 speed trany made a huge difference. We also have an 06 duramax plow truck and it is great.

Datdude
04-23-2008, 05:03 PM
We really need some pictures!:cool:

capnkirk52
04-24-2008, 07:00 PM
With my '06 Cummins, I was getting 15 mpg around town. After stacking a Superchips Flashpaq and an Edge Attitude, I get 20-21 on the same routes. On road trips, I seem to average 24 Mpg around 65. This is measured at the pump not the computer. I am running 37" tires and still have stock gearing 3.73. I also have a built tranny and Truflow intake. Next is exhaust and ultimately turbo(s). :D

As far as the Fords, you will improve mileage with an edge attitude system, but not as much as you would like. Most of the diesel mileage gains can be attained by free flow 4" exhaust with a matching intake. Other than that, you are kinda stuck with the engine design. Most of the 6.0 Fords around here run pretty well and get reasonable mileage. Just be careful not to add more than 80-100 hp on the stock engine and turbo. It will grenade spectacularly!

With a Cummins I can believe those numbers. With a Powerstroke or Duramax I think it's a stretch.

jkski: What are your observations so far? Are you happy with the DMAX?

Carbon Dreams
04-25-2008, 03:23 PM
With a Cummins I can believe those numbers. With a Powerstroke or Duramax I think it's a stretch.

One of my best friends sold his 06 Cummins (Built!) and bought a new Dmax. Great looking truck and rides great. Horrible mileage though. He is lucky to get better than 15 on the highway. When he tows it gets 10 or less. Not really sure why, but that is horrible mileage for any diesel. Oh ya, it burns about a gallon per tank for the new EPA crapola. IMO Dmax pre 07 is the way to go if Dmax is on your radar screen.

magnum
04-25-2008, 04:35 PM
Has anyone converted their Diesels over to Run on vegetable Oil, I thought you had to have an expensive conversion kit but ran across this site that says you don't , Just some common parts to build a filtering system and some ingredients plus their additive. Sound almost to good to be true but if you can get the Oil free, might not be www.dieselsecret.com

jkski
04-26-2008, 06:08 AM

So far here is what I have observed:
A few thngs to keep in mind:
1) The truck has 39k miles on it.
2) The truck is cmpletely stock all the way down to the wheels.
3) I have only driven it about 200 miles total.

With that said, according to the DIC(Dashboard Info Center (I think)), when running down the highway without a load at 70mph, I am averaging 17mph. The truck actually does better at higher speeds, because if I drop to 60mph, I get 15-16mph. Now this is a flat run, so hills would obvisouly affect this. In terms of RPM's I am only turning about 1600-1700 running 70mph.
OK now for the real application of this truck:
I spent a good portion of the day yesterday hauling boats back and forth to the lake for our local dealers in water show. I hauled everything from a X15 and CSX220 to a 26 foot I/O. The truck never knew any of them were even there and averaged 13-14mpg hauling in city driving conditions and with a lot of idiling.

To give you an idea for comparison purposes, I had done this many times before with my Dodge which had the 360 gas, and hauling like this I would be lucky to get around 8mpg.

Obviously there is much more to come and a true hand calculation of the fuel economy will follow after the weekend, so I will update more then.

erkoehler
04-28-2008, 09:13 PM
I drove a 2005 F-150 Lariat this past weekend, and it was very nice! Not sure about going Ford, but I was impressed to say the least.....:)

trunderw
07-08-2008, 04:10 PM
I hate to open these old threads but I have a '02 7.3L Diesel and a buddy of mine has an '01 V10 gas motor in the same truck. Towing a 3500lb boat on the interstate he gets around 9mpg and I get over 18mpg @ 75mph...

ProTour X9
07-08-2008, 04:13 PM
I hate to open these old threads but I have a '02 7.3L Diesel and a buddy of mine has an '01 V10 gas motor in the same truck. Towing a 3500lb boat on the interstate he gets around 9mpg and I get over 18mpg @ 75mph...

Our '99 7.3L gets better gas mileage than my dad's '08 work single cab silverado, which I think is the 6.0L....