PDA

View Full Version : what kind of wood?

CRAIGTHEMAN
03-30-2008, 09:05 PM
im making a rack for my amps im puttin in my boat and it is going to be a piece of plywood...i was just going to use the green treated board and than carpet it...should this be the wood to use or is there something better to use???????????

Slinkyredfoot
03-30-2008, 09:37 PM
I do not like wood typically in marine applications, there are many composite materials for sale out there that could be stronger and more durable than wood and still suit your particular purpose well...look around, you may be surprised, I know I was...

CRAIGTHEMAN
03-30-2008, 09:45 PM
does any big hardware place have the stuff

Slinkyredfoot
03-30-2008, 09:53 PM
does any big hardware place have the stuff

Yea, believe it or not there are great acrylics and stuff like this in the kitchen and other departments...

I always go in with an open mind and have an idea what I am trying to do and if something else would work better...your gonna find something that will work better than you might think..

my mind works in weird ways sometimes...

Jerseydave
03-30-2008, 10:13 PM
How about that poly-material they use for cutting boards? You could just buy a cutting board that's too large and trim it down to the size you want.

88 PS190
03-30-2008, 10:26 PM
There is 1 material perfect for this job known as Marine Plywood.

it is expensive but doesn't have voids is treated and will last as long as that amp will no prob.

bullit4888
03-30-2008, 10:54 PM
I made my amp rack out of marine plywood and wrapped it in vinyl. It was easy to work with and it's held up great.

fintek9
03-30-2008, 11:06 PM
.......................opps.......................

fintek9
03-30-2008, 11:06 PM
How about that poly-material they use for cutting boards? You could just buy a cutting board that's too large and trim it down to the size you want.This is EXACTLY the material that I used in my boat for my amps. Wrapped it with matching carpet, works great.

My thinking was with the moisture that seems to find it's way under that compartment and I've had other carpet wrapped plywood parts in other boats that have come unglued with recommended glues in marine plywood applications.

sk8salomon
03-30-2008, 11:44 PM
"the wood that makes it good"

CRAIGTHEMAN
03-31-2008, 12:02 AM
can u get maine grade plywood like at home depot or any big store like that?

88 PS190
03-31-2008, 12:16 AM
can u get maine grade plywood like at home depot or any big store like that?

depends sometimes..

Boating supply type stores normally have it.

JimN
03-31-2008, 04:12 AM
Most larger cities have a plastic supplier and they usually have cut-offs. Polyethylene is one kind (like a cutting board) and if you can find Star Board, get some of that. It's the same stuff they use for rest room partitions and it comes in different colors, densities and thicknesses. Also used for floor panels, etc on boats.

skeeler
03-31-2008, 08:31 AM
I made my amp rack out of marine plywood and wrapped it in vinyl. It was easy to work with and it's held up great.
Like that, really clean.

ridesdirt
03-31-2008, 09:07 AM

nice work right there.

CRAIGTHEMAN
03-31-2008, 05:43 PM
sounds good..thanks for the help guys

76S&S
03-31-2008, 05:50 PM

Great looking install......

Iman
03-31-2008, 08:02 PM
Starboard is I think what they call the plastic board made for boat use. It's expensive and mainly available at marine supply stores.

Since it's going in an area of the boat that should stay dry, if it were me I'd just use whatever plywood I had laying around the house or could get cheap and just make sure to seal it with weatherproofing, especially along the edges and be sure to use caulk/silicone in my drilled holes.

JBaker
03-31-2008, 08:21 PM
I never use wood for marine amp racks. StarBoard for me. Marine Plywood is a less expensive option.

I have never though of buying a cutting board...that is creative at least...:D