PDA

View Full Version : Boat In Rain

floridamastercraft
03-30-2008, 08:42 PM
who takes there boat out in the rain?

I know there is lots of time I would love to go sking but I see rain in the area and I really don't like the boat sitting in the garage wet for a day or 2 ... Plus the dirty wet road water spraying up on it (like the interior)...

I only have a 3 mile drive to the ramp but still...

My wife says its a boat its made to get wet don't be so anal about it...

Will the boat carpet and dash start to have problems getting wet??

What is the best way to dry a boat in the hot humid garage? No windows for ac either I thought about a mini-split 2 ton ac unit... since heat comes free in the south all year long..

Kinda wish that they make a 197 with no carpet in it....

sk8salomon
03-30-2008, 08:46 PM
listen to your wife:D

don't be a puss

Lennyp04
03-30-2008, 08:51 PM
Our boat has been out in the rain. Just after it gets soaked open everything up and let it air dry you'll be fine!

Think about it.... You get water in your boat when you switch riders or skiers, whats a little more?

TMCNo1
03-30-2008, 08:51 PM
Not unless we get caught in a rainstorm! It's happen many times.
Ask anyone who launched during the thunderstorm at the 2003 East Coast Reunion Poker Run on Friday after the boat judging. Poker run was cancelled 10 minutes after we launched @ around 3:30pm and moved to Saturday, took the boat out, returned to the resort, covered up the boat and the next morning water was still running out of the bottom plug.

phecksel
03-30-2008, 09:06 PM
Hell, I've taken it out in a blinding blizzard

Jim@BAWS
03-30-2008, 09:08 PM
who takes there boat out in the rain?

What is the best way to dry a boat in the hot humid garage? No windows for ac either I thought about a mini-split 2 ton ac unit... since heat comes free in the south all year long.. ....

Dry off the best you can with shamis or towels...under the seats to

Dry vac if you can. The brings the carpet back up and does'nt leave it matted. Lastly by a cheap plastic floor fan. Let it run all night in your boat in the garage. Moving the air around evaporates the water faster and gets everything dry. Dealing with Florida weather and humidity this works the best.

Jim@BAWS

Slinkyredfoot
03-30-2008, 09:11 PM
listen to your wife:D

don't be a puss

I agree, getting caught in the rain or a torrential down pour is always great fun and adds to a romantic evening...I always love drying my better half off......

TOO-TALL
03-30-2008, 09:13 PM

Dry vac if you can. The brings the carpet back up and does'nt leave it matted. Lastly by a cheap plastic floor fan. Let it run all night in your boat in the garage. Moving the air around evaporates the water faster and gets everything dry. Dealing with Florida weather and humidity this works the best.

Jim@BAWS

I agree the fan idea works great .I have a box fan a tie to the ceiling in the garage it blows air down on the carpet and storage compartments

Chief
03-30-2008, 09:52 PM
I have a fan similiar to this one mounted on the wall behind the boat. Turn her on and the boat is all dry in the morning. :D

flipper
03-30-2008, 10:05 PM
I've taken mine out in the rain many of times. Won't hurt anything if you let it dry out well.

coz
03-30-2008, 11:13 PM
I've taken mine out in the rain many of times. Won't hurt anything if you let it dry out well.

Jim@BAWS

listen to your wife

don't be a puss

Hell, I've taken it out in a blinding blizzard

In other words "Just go" :D I don't suggest when there is lightning though. :confused:

JoshBuzz
03-31-2008, 01:55 AM
We had a demo day today, and Rusty, Randall, and I still rode in the rain. Those guys could probably ride in a snow storm, though they'd complain about it til both your ears fell off!!

shepherd
03-31-2008, 08:38 AM
I know of about 20 Mastercrafts left out in the rain all day Saturday at CSM '07. And I know at least a few of their owners are pretty anal about their boats!

The drive home from the lake helps dry it out. I then leave it out in the sun with the hatches open in the driveway. I also have a couple cheap ceiling fans mounted in the garage over the boat. They help alot.

TMCNo1
03-31-2008, 09:22 AM
I know of about 20 Mastercrafts left out in the rain all day Saturday at CSM '07. And I know at least a few of their owners are pretty anal about their boats!

The drive home from the lake helps dry it out. I then leave it out in the sun with the hatches open in the driveway. I also have a couple cheap ceiling fans mounted in the garage over the boat. They help alot.

Ours got rained in like everyone else's Friday night. But, we went ahead and took it out Sat. afternoon right before the rain came and got it covered up, cause we had to take it out anyway to leave Sunday morning! It made for a lot less clean up after we got home.

ShamrockIV
03-31-2008, 09:26 AM
any boater from the south should answer heck yeah!!! we have all benn caught in heavy rainstorms in the summer that blow up all of a sudden!!!
as long as there is no lightning we stop and get in the lake!! u are getting wet anyway!!

wakeX2wake
03-31-2008, 09:28 AM
boats are made for the water inside and out.... nothing in a MC that can rott or warp... i hate it when it's those HUGE rain drops that are coming really heavy that only last about 3 mins... those things sting...best to just get in the water and enjoy a frosty treat

ShamrockIV
03-31-2008, 09:34 AM
yeah auburnx2 those raindrops are COLD!!! get int he water to warm up!!

BrandonKTM
03-31-2008, 10:23 AM
[QUOTE=floridamastercraft]who takes there boat out in the rain?

On our lake, a rainstorm on the weekend is the only way to ski/board during the day. Most boats head for shore, the waves disappear, and soon it is glass except for the raindrops. We wear swim glasses or construction goggles with a key float on 'em while skiing,etc.

Boats are made to get wet, and if you are anal about it, I GUARANTEE you will take the fun out of it for your kids/guests/friends. Turn the rain into a positive, and then when it quits, they will also appreciate that even more.

The same applies for minor messes. Some of my friends used to get real bent out of shape if a potato chip gets dropped, or worse, crunched on their carpet. Thank god they later had kids and learned to get over it. When you look back, you realize the fun is in what you do on, behind,and with the boat....(there's a softball for all you appearance guys to blast out of the park!)

lazypiper
03-31-2008, 10:32 AM
Your worried about rain. What do you do if you swamp your boat? After I wash my boat I hope it doesn't rain so I can cover it the following day. I store it outside.

peason
03-31-2008, 12:29 PM
Best water to be had in the rain! I agree with using a fan and lifting all of the seats to let it dry!