PDA

View Full Version : Second Amplifier Placement in a 2005 X-2

boofer
03-30-2008, 02:53 AM
Well, I am on the verge of adding tower speakers. I have decided on the Wetsounds 3-Some and a Zapco 1000.4. The Zapco amplifier is 23" by 7.5" (2" thick). I would like some advice on where to mount this puppy. I have the stock system with a sub. The current JL amp is mounted on the inside wall on the port side walkway (stock position).

I am familiar with the thick plastic mounting plates MC uses throughout the boat. Is there a good place to mount this amp without significant modification or am I going to need to consider something more custom?

Thanks.

2000XPSD
03-30-2008, 11:02 AM
i have a 04 x2 and i just slapped it next to the factory amp...no probs

boofer
04-03-2008, 12:37 AM
Interesting. Was there the plastic mounting plate (starboard?) in that area?

Is that stuff they use to mount things to called "starboard?" It is the extremely dense plastic pieces about 1/2" thick that is usually fiberglassed in. If so, where can you buy this stuff?

2000XPSD
04-03-2008, 07:15 PM
i think your talking about King Starboard
http://www.kingstarboard.com/Products/Starboard.aspx]

i don't know what was in there for board...i drilled some holes and screwed it on...it holds

boofer
04-03-2008, 10:47 PM
Thanks. I believe that you are correct about the type of board. That was the exact name I ran into. I checked today and there is a piece of it right next to the stock amp and I think that it will work perfectly; just like yours. Thanks.

fbroen
04-04-2008, 09:07 AM
Here's factory install on an 08 X1. Same idea, except horizontal placement.

Good luck with your install.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z112/fbroen/562828.jpg

Kummer
04-04-2008, 11:46 AM
Fbroen

Just looking at your setup - Do you have 2 sets of tower speekers? I noticed you have rca's going to each input on that 6 ch amp.

fbroen
04-04-2008, 11:50 AM
Nope, 1 set of tower speakers.

Have not yet had a chance to see what exactly this install is all about. Do know that it came with some serious alternator whine though... Hope to look at it all more this week end.

boofer
04-04-2008, 02:13 PM
Thanks fbroen. That picture helps me alot. It is interesting to note that those amps are mounted to another panel and not directly to the panel that I assume is under the carpet. Given there is a panel under the carpet, if the amps extend beyond that I can see installing a second panel to extend the stock one, i.e. you mount a second panel that is larger to the existing one and then mount the amps.

All good info guys. I like to take more time planning and less time doing.

moleson10
04-04-2008, 08:15 PM
Nope, 1 set of tower speakers.

Have not yet had a chance to see what exactly this install is all about. Do know that it came with some serious alternator whine though... Hope to look at it all more this week end.

Looks like what I'm doing on mine. I've got the same amp setup (just did it myself). You've got "Y connectors" coming from your head unit outputs. It gives you discrete inputs for each channel pair rather than "summing" the input from channel 3/4 to 5/6.

The problem is that the head unit has three sets of outputs. Non-faded, front and rear. But with two amps and 4 pairs of inputs you need the Y connectors to give you flexibility in how you adjust your input sensitivity and fading.