PDA

View Full Version : Boom Babies

sizzler
04-01-2005, 12:20 PM
thought you might like to see how i got my 7 and 9 year olds to learn how to barefoot last weekend....i hung an old barefoot handle over the boom and the placed their bottoms in it and held onto the boom....they took to it like ducks to water....speed was about 25mph,and they loved it........dont think mom was to impressed at first ,but she soon got used to the idea when she saw how much fun they were having... :dance:

sizzler
04-01-2005, 12:21 PM
next one coming

sizzler
04-01-2005, 12:22 PM
and the next

peason
04-01-2005, 12:51 PM
Very Cool, I've had my 11 yr. old son out last year doing a tumble up on the boom - with only a wet suit on - :eek: He got a barefoot suit for Christmas, so maybe he will progress to at least short line this year.
The only problem we have is even with a boom extension the wake off the side of our 209 is tough to fight through until you get some speed and it falls behind the footer.

kamakaze19
04-01-2005, 01:35 PM
Looks dangerous, if they ever let go and were still in the handle, could be some serious trouble, looks like to me.

AirJunky
04-01-2005, 01:41 PM
Looks dangerous, if they ever let go and were still in the handle, could be some serious trouble, looks like to me.
Isn't that kind of ironic coming from a guy named "Kamakaze"? Looks like a prety safe way to do it to me. I mean lets face it, just about everything we're doing in or behind these boats is dangerous to some degree.

Mag_Red
04-01-2005, 02:02 PM
Looks dangerous, if they ever let go and were still in the handle, could be some serious trouble, looks like to me.My parents sent me 200' in the air on a fixed wing kite when I was 12 or 13 :purplaugh Sizzler..............you have some cool little girls there and obviously a very understanding wife :headbang:

Lance
04-01-2005, 02:52 PM
I think I am with Kamakazee on this one in that it looks like there is higher potential for injury than my tastes. Might not be as bad as it looks. I think this setup would be better if it had some kind of a release that could be actuated by the observer (like the old trick releases) in the event of a fall and then getting caught in the rope.

I do agree though with mag_red that you have some pretty cool daughters and look like you have a good time as a family. While I am enjoying life with a 4 and a 2 year old I will be excited to see them trying these same things.

lance

NeilM
04-01-2005, 05:05 PM
Cool, Sizzler. They look like great kids.

I'm jealous - ice is still solid here....

sizzler
04-01-2005, 05:34 PM
guys......i'm as passionate about my girls safety as i am with the reckless abandon i have for myself........they did come out of it 2 or 3 times,,,they just slipped right out of it ...no probs......i immediately throttled back and was always there to offer praise and encouragement....i appreesh the concern tho'

they are great fun to be around :smile:

MarkP
04-01-2005, 08:22 PM
It looks cool to me. Now go make them some hot soup or something.:toast: .

MarkL
04-01-2005, 09:22 PM
Sizzler, Please do not do this again. The handle was not designed to be used that way. The boom was not designed to be used that way. I was injured badly (almost lost an arm) by using a handle improperly in 1978. I would hate to see your beautiful girl(s) hurt needlesly. I have a 10 year old daughter and would never let her sit in a handle like that. Please find a safer way.

JohnnyB
04-01-2005, 11:43 PM
Looks just like the Easy Footer rig Mike Seipel sells in overtons. Also, this technique has been used by Ron Scarpa and is depicted in a number of Waterski Magazine Issues....March 2003 teaching April the HO model how to foot.....also was another article by Ron Scarpa on teaching kids how to foot that used this technique as well....I think that article was in last summer sometime.

As with any footing activity, the driver needs to be alert to make sure the skier is safe. I think this is a manageable learning technique.

jjsosnowski
04-02-2005, 09:11 AM
I also have the same set up and teach my little guys to foot the same way,accept I run my boom off the drivers side so I can talk to them and instruct while moving.You can also see If they are getting into trouble better. When I go to barefoot clinics and ski with instructors this is how they do it. If you need to you can put weight on the observer side with the observer to level boat. Give it A try.

SteveO
04-02-2005, 09:35 AM
Sizzler, the smile on her face in the first picture says it all. It is moments like that which you and the girls will remember for a lifetime. It is better than a new PB.

CoFooter
04-04-2005, 12:13 PM
Like the guys said, as long as you are paying attention while driving and don't do anything stupid, there is absolutely nothing that is not safe about this learning technique. It does require some athletisism on the kids part, and they need to hold on to the boom so they don't get pushed into it when they catch a toe and swing forward. Our club teaches kids and adults this way, and as someone mentioned, the pro's also teach this way. My 11 year old has a blast. This picture is her second time out. She doesn't want to stop once she get's going. So, find someone with experience to show you how to drive and set it up, your kids will have a blast.

sizzler
04-04-2005, 04:01 PM
nice picture.....looks like shes lovin' it.......

CoFooter
04-07-2005, 05:51 PM
Thanks, Sizzler. Hope to get her off the swing this year. As you can tell, I'm a proud papa.