PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Fluid Change

Deano
03-29-2008, 07:08 AM
I have seen other posts on this before so forgive me I still need some clarity. I own a 2003 Prostar 197 w/the Cadillac motor and am going to change the transmission fluid. I have heard that both transmission fluid and motor oil work. I have also heard several people say that motor oil is recommended to reduce gear whine inside the tranny. If I use motor oil; does anybody have a recommendation on what weight? If the preference is transmission fluid, does anybody have a recommendation on what type of transmission fluid? There are just too many choices and I want to ensure I get it right. Thanks in advance for your help.

bigmac
03-29-2008, 08:39 AM
I have seen other posts on this before so forgive me I still need some clarity. I own a 2003 Prostar 197 w/the Cadillac motor and am going to change the transmission fluid. I have heard that both transmission fluid and motor oil work. I have also heard several people say that motor oil is recommended to reduce gear whine inside the tranny. If I use motor oil; does anybody have a recommendation on what weight? If the preference is transmission fluid, does anybody have a recommendation on what type of transmission fluid? There are just too many choices and I want to ensure I get it right. Thanks in advance for your help.

The later-model 1.5:1 Hurth transmissions CAN use engine oil, and those that do use the same stuff recommended for the engine - 15W40 that meets AP CJ-4/SJ. The use of engine oil was recommended by Indmar with ZF Hurth's blessing in order to stop complaints about some apparently annoying rattling of the transmission at idle. It's not a functional issue, it's a cosmetic issue.

If I were you, I'd just replace your transmission oil with whatever is in there. Pull your dipstick - if the oil is brown, use 15W40. If it's red, use Dexron III or IV or Mercon. If you have red ATF in there and you have annoying rattling at idle, switch to 15W40 (as long as you have a 1.5:1 transmission)

Deano
03-29-2008, 10:02 AM
I appreciate the advice, that is extremely helpful!

Besst Regards
D