PDA

View Full Version : New GMC Hybrid

Roonie's
03-28-2008, 12:22 PM
I am looking at the new GMC Yukon Hybrid 4 x 4. It gets 20 mpg in city and has a towing capacity of 6200#. It has a 6.0L V8 engine. Am I crazy even thinking about this car to tow my 07 X2.

I currently have an 04 Chevy Suburban and it uses gas like its going out of style. The X2 dry weight is 3500 lbs but I am guessing after gas and trailer closer to 4000# towing.

Just trying to think of the future. Currently my suburban in town gets (according to my trip computer) around 12 mpg. So I can almost double the mpg and still have a decent tow rig? Thoughts..... Opinions welcomed.

flipper
03-28-2008, 12:27 PM
I don't have the Hybrid, but I do have a '07 Yukon, and love it. They made huge improvements in the '07 and '08's as far as handling and comfort. I don't know much about the hybrid models, but I sure wish mine had the 3:73 gears rather than the 3:42's for towing.

Roonie's
03-28-2008, 12:32 PM
My suburban has the 3.73 and it does pretty well.

flipper
03-28-2008, 12:39 PM
One of these days I'm going to put them in my car. The 3:42's are okay empty, could be better. Hook up the boat, and they suck!!!

jkski
03-28-2008, 12:42 PM
With the boat you have, I think you are probably looking at closser to 5000lbs-5500lbs for the total package.
If the boat weighs in at 3500lbs, then you have a single axle trailer at about 1000lbs, plus fluids at 400lbs+/-, and gear.
Just some food for thought.

ttu
03-28-2008, 12:44 PM
roonie,

with the hybrid what is the hwy mpg.

i've got a 07 tahoe and it get's around 12-14 town and at best 18-19 hwy. towing the boat around 9mpg.

i will agree with what "flipper" said, that the newer body style made great improvments to the suv.

that being said, i will probably go with a new sequoia this fall.

454Prostar190
03-28-2008, 12:44 PM
I agree with flipper, the '07 GM trucks are much improved. My '07 Silverado could also use the 3:73 gears rather than the 3:42s. I do have the posi. I can get 18mpg empty and about 13mpg towing the boat. I've seen a few hybrid Yukons around and I haven't heard anything bad about them. Rick

Roonie's
03-28-2008, 12:45 PM
With the boat you have, I think you are probably looking at closser to 5000lbs-5500lbs for the total package.
If the boat weighs in at 3500lbs, then you have a single axle trailer at about 1000lbs, plus fluids at 400lbs+/-, and gear.
Just some food for thought.

You are probably right. It is a rolling weight if that matters at all which I suspect it doesn't.

Roonie's
03-28-2008, 12:46 PM
roonie,

with the hybrid what is the hwy mpg.

They say it is close to the same as city mpg around 20 which seems odd to me but whatever. I was thinking of going to test drive them today as our local GMC dealer has got the new 08 Hybrids in stock now.

endl
03-28-2008, 12:50 PM
My buddy just got an 08 avalanche with the 6.0 with 4:10 rear end. You might check and see if thats an option on the Tahoe.

ShamrockIV
03-28-2008, 12:50 PM
man i would get one. but i think i am gonn await and trade my yukon xl on the diesel version in a few years!!

sand2snow22
03-28-2008, 12:51 PM
Why would you be crazy? 6200 lbs is a lot. I like the GMC, Tahoe, and Caddy Hybrids. Your tow mileage will still be terrible probably.

I hope they are going to be big sellers. I don't like the big A$$ HYBRID down the side on the Tahoe and the Caddy. What does the GMC look like?

How much are they? Ballpark!

Roonie's
03-28-2008, 12:52 PM
man i would get one. but i think i am gonn await and trade my yukon xl on the diesel version in a few years!!
I have also heard rumors they are working on a diesel hybrid which would rock this world since diesel is so $$$ right now too and no future of it dropping in price.

ShamrockIV
03-28-2008, 12:53 PM
i am stil not sold on the hybrids. battery replacement is suppossed to be a bear!!

Roonie's
03-28-2008, 12:56 PM
Here is a pic of the hybrid. The only thing that you can see is on the back tailgate it says hybrid.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/GMC-Yukon_Hybrid_2008_thumbnail_03.jpg

Also I have no idea how much the cost. Will find out this weekend and post it up.

454Prostar190
03-28-2008, 12:57 PM
i am stil not sold on the hybrids. battery replacement is suppossed to be a bear!!

An extremely expensive bear:(

Roonie's
03-28-2008, 12:58 PM

The money you save in gas should cover that cost rather quickly I would imagine.

ShamrockIV
03-28-2008, 12:59 PM

i am not sure if the cost of battery replacement does not exceed the fuel savings!!! pay me now or pay me later!!

Roonie's
03-28-2008, 01:01 PM
I will lok at estimated fuel costs of vehicle as they list those on sticker of both a regular 08 Tahoe and the new Hybrid Tahoe and compare for a year.

ORX-1
03-28-2008, 01:03 PM
here is a question, I have an '07 Tahoe Z71 and has so many rattles! does anyone else have a rattle in the passenger side dash? It's been in like 4 times and never gets fixed! Drives me nuts because I love the car but HATE rattles!

ORX-1
03-28-2008, 01:04 PM
Isn't the Hybrid lower to the ground also?

Roonie's
03-28-2008, 01:09 PM
Isn't the Hybrid lower to the ground also?

I know they make one in 2wd as well as 4wd but I will ask as I don't know.

flipper
03-28-2008, 01:36 PM
Are you crazy!!!! I do have to say I love diesels, I have one, but the cost to fuel the thing is insane!!!

east tx skier
03-28-2008, 01:48 PM
I saw one here the other day and did a double take.

If it's your daily driver and you put a lot of in-town miles, it might be a good choice assuming it can adequately tow your boat. But if this is strictkly a tow vehicle and will be used primarily at highway speeds, it sounds like it wouldn't be worth the price tag.

Electric motors are not very efficient at highway speeds, so it's almost all the gas engine there anyway. Presumably, you'd be getting more of the gas engine towing the boat anyway.

jrhollow
03-28-2008, 02:53 PM
I wonder how the dependability will be...

For those of us who work in a downtown and don't want to have to cars, this is a great alternative.

ShamrockIV
03-28-2008, 03:19 PM
Are you crazy!!!! I do have to say I love diesels, I have one, but the cost to fuel the thing is insane!!!

i have been told that b4!! but a diesel yukon xl would last me a long d@mn time. diesel is not that much higher if it got much better gas mileage. my yukon is out 3rd, carry the whole family car. not a daily driver!!

flipper
03-28-2008, 03:25 PM
i have been told that b4!! but a diesel yukon xl would last me a long d@mn time. diesel is not that much higher if it got much better gas mileage. my yukon is out 3rd, carry the whole family car. not a daily driver!!

oh, that's different then. That's like mine, I have a beater to drive to work, and a diesel for play. I commute about 120 miles a day, do got to have a hunk of junk to beat on during the week.

Roonie's
03-28-2008, 03:25 PM
I need a daily driver and carry family car as well as tow boat and the suburban sucks for the daily driver part. This is why I am looking at Tahoe/Yukon Hybrid.

flipper
03-28-2008, 03:34 PM
I would say go Yukon if you have that choice...when I bought mine a couple months ago, it had a lot more for the same price compared to the tahoe.

JKTX21
03-28-2008, 04:30 PM
I saw one here the other day and did a double take.

If it's your daily driver and you put a lot of in-town miles, it might be a good choice assuming it can adequately tow your boat. But if this is strictkly a tow vehicle and will be used primarily at highway speeds, it sounds like it wouldn't be worth the price tag.

Electric motors are not very efficient at highway speeds, so it's almost all the gas engine there anyway. Presumably, you'd be getting more of the gas engine towing the boat anyway.

Doug is right... again. :D I can't see much advantage towing with a hybrid. The engine will run most of the time AND you have to pull the added battery weight. Hybrids are great in the city though. Drive a hybrid and a non-hybrid, the regen braking feels kind of goofy to me on the hybrids.

You bringing that new floating thing to my neck of the woods this year Doug? We have plenty of water!

sand2snow22
03-28-2008, 04:42 PM
i am not sure if the cost of battery replacement does not exceed the fuel savings!!! pay me now or pay me later!!

The battery in my hybrid is under warranty for 8 years or 100,000 miles, possibly longer:

Hybrid-related components for hybrid vehicles are covered for 8 years/100,000 miles. The HV battery may have longer coverage under emissions warranty.

I'm not planning on keeping the car that long. Plus, the next generation hybrids are coming with the lithium ion batteries, smaller and batteries you see in everyday electronics. Like my cordless drill!

east tx skier
03-28-2008, 05:11 PM
Doug is right... again. :D I can't see much advantage towing with a hybrid. The engine will run most of the time AND you have to pull the added battery weight. Hybrids are great in the city though. Drive a hybrid and a non-hybrid, the regen braking feels kind of goofy to me on the hybrids.

You bringing that new floating thing to my neck of the woods this year Doug? We have plenty of water!

I will be seeing you that first weekend of May. My current plan is to not make you guys too jealous. So I'll just be bringing either red cans or gas money if that's alright.

auburn buck
03-28-2008, 06:35 PM
If there are hills in your travel, the hybrid is set up to bring its considerable torque into play, giving you more pulling power. Haven't driven one yet, but am seriously thinking of this vehicle. I would be towing a Maristar 230, and the Hybrid will be a great improvement over my present Tahoe. :twocents:

sand2snow22
03-28-2008, 06:43 PM
Dang, according to Edmunds.com fully loaded GMC Yukon Hybrid $56k retail, invoice $52k, others in my area are paying $54k!! Can a brutha get a $15k rebate?

VTJC
03-28-2008, 07:30 PM
What about buying a car to drive and keep the old truck for towing?

MIMC
03-28-2008, 08:02 PM
As a daily driver you will not be disappointed with the Hybrid. Yes they are more expensive (new technology always is), but they WILL get better than 20 mpg on the highway. Co-worker got 26 mpg with his. The Hybrid has a different front facia for air flow/cooling reasons, it has that "lower" appearance. Not sure on the towing mpg's but I can find out all the information you need. PM me if you have specific questions and I will do what I can.

Thanks -
MIMC

JKTX21
03-28-2008, 09:59 PM
I will be seeing you that first weekend of May. My current plan is to not make you guys too jealous. So I'll just be bringing either red cans or gas money if that's alright.

Haha, sounds like there will be enough MC's and good MC people. See you soon!

Ski-me
03-29-2008, 10:48 AM
I read an article recently about the Tahoe Hybrid. Because of the added weight of the Hybrid components, they reduced the weight in other areas. The driver and passenger backrests are thinner and shave quite a bit of weight off. The hood and rear cargo door are now Aluminum to save weight and the wheels themselves are lighter than stock as well.

We are looking at a Camry Hybrid right now. What we've learned on the batteries is that they are designed to go to 150k before replacement. Our fully loaded 09' Camry is about $29k and gets an average of 34 MPG. We did look at the Prius that gave us 44 MPG but I wanted my wife to be in a bigger car when hauling the kids around. You might try and do an analysis in cost of vehicle vs. fuel cost to see if a new Hybrid Tahoe is worth it. Maybe keep your current vehicle and get the Camry. $20k savings in sticker price which adds up to a lot of fuel.

We will still keep the 04' 3/4 Yukon XL with the 8.1L in it, but just not drive it as much.

ShamrockIV
03-29-2008, 12:40 PM

bro i have hauled many a gas can down the dock and poured it into our houseboat!! dad always brought 6 cans each trip and made me and my buddies tote them!!!!!

Ric
03-29-2008, 06:59 PM
I agree with flipper, the '07 GM trucks are much improved. My '07 Silverado could also use the 3:73 gears rather than the 3:42s. I do have the posi. I can get 18mpg empty and about 13mpg towing the boat. I've seen a few hybrid Yukons around and I haven't heard anything bad about them. Rick I am assuming both of you with the 3.42:1's are running the smaller v8 5.3L ?

wakolman
03-29-2008, 07:21 PM
Here is a Tahoe hybrid for 53k obo.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3***%3AUS%3A1123&viewitem=&item=320232933974

Ric
03-29-2008, 07:56 PM
I believe the one I saw at the dealer stickered at 56k

looked like alotta batteries under that seat.

Roonie's
03-29-2008, 09:39 PM
So I went and test drove a Yukon Hybrid today. I must say I was really impressed. You couldn't even hear the car. Basically above 30 mph it switched to gas. On the highway it will shut off 4 cylinders when not needed and kick in all 8 when needed which helped the mpg. The transition between hybrid and gas was seemless. The only way I knew it did it was when I looked at the nav console and it shows it in a 3D picture. I did about a 30 minute test drive going on highway etc and we averaged about 26 mpg with me really gunning it. The motor has some serious power and torque with a 6.0L V8. The one thing was it only came in a 3.08 axle ratio. It however made up the difference with the torque it has as the electric power was immediate.

Of course it had every option being a Yukon including stabilitrack and side airbags, DVD, Navigation, power everything. I was very impressed with this car. Also it had an 8 year 100,000 mile warranty on all the hybrid parts.

The down side is the price. Listed for 55k.

stuartmcnair
03-30-2008, 12:19 AM
I was doing some research when we were looking at a camry hybrid for a commuter car for me. What I looked at was the rate of return for the hybrid which was listed as seven years at 12,000 miles a year. I decided it would not be worth it to have to hang on to it for that long. See if you can find some research like that for the Yukon. You could probably put a spreadsheet together yourself with fuel costs being the variable for the calculations of savings.

Do the math and that should make the decision easier.

454Prostar190
04-01-2008, 02:34 PM
In this months "Truckin'" magazine (has a giant green "Kodiak" on the cover) there is a pretty good article on the Chev/GMC hybrid. It doesn't talk about towing but, explains how the system is designed to work. Pretty interesting. Sounds like it should tow just fine. I went to the Chevrolet dealer last Sat. and looked at the hybrid Tahoe and it is really a good looking vehicle with the exception of the hybrid hybrid hybrid hybrid down the sides of the body. Maybe the GMC doesn't have this. Rick

TX.X-30 fan
04-01-2008, 07:20 PM
Many people purchase hybrid cars hoping to reduce their energy usage, environmental impact, and overall driving expense. This demand for hybrid technology may be misguided good intention.

A new study warns that the focus on hybrid cars is stalling the production of automobiles that may be more sustainable; the authors argue that hybrid car production is detracting from the development of cost-effective fuel cell cars.

Many manufacturers already offer or will soon offer hybrid vehicles, and there is increasing demand for them in the US, Japan, Europe, and potentially China. The authors assert that good marketing strategy–not good science–has caused this interest in Hybrids:

There is a general convergence of strategies towards promoting hybrid vehicles as the mid-term solution to very low-emission and high-mileage vehicles. This is largely due to Toyota’s strategy of learning the technology, while building up its own ‘quasi-standard’, thanks to its high-quality and reliability reputation and its high market share on the North American market. Such a convergence is based more on customer perception triggered by very clever marketing and communication campaigns than on pure rationale scientific arguments and may result in the need for any manufacturer operating in the USA to have a hybrid electric vehicle in its model range in order to survive.

A 2004 study examined the fuel efficiency of traditional, hybrid and fuel cell cars. Contrary to the more recent study, these authors found little additional benefit to fuel cell cars, assuming gasoline as the fuel source. They believed that the government should focus on supporting available technology–hybrid cars–instead of fuel cell vehicles:

If the justification for federal support for research and development on fuel cells is reduction in imported oil and carbon dioxide emissions, then there is stronger justification for federal support for hybrid vehicles that will achieve similar results more quickly. Consideration should be given to expanding government support for research and development on generic advanced hybrid technology and extending hybrid vehicle tax credits.

Compared with typical automobiles, hybrid cars are more fuel efficient and release less CO2. This benefit of reduced CO2 emissions remains even after accounting for manufacture.

“Total carbon dioxide emissions over the lifetimes of gasoline, hybrid, and electric cars. The electric car is shown three times, with differing use energies depending on the method of generating electricity: coal, liquified natural gas, or hydroelectric.”

If you just care about CO2 emissions and their impact on global warming and air quality, the hybrid is a good choice. A regular automobile releases more CO2 just while being driven than a hybrid does in its use and manufacture.

However, the production of cars releases toxins other than just CO2. When all of these toxic compounds are considered, the benefit of buying a hybrid is lost.

“Toxic releases over the lifetime of a typical car. The total releases represented by the pie are 66.3 kg.”

As you can see in the above charts, these toxic substances include more than just CO2 emissions. A typical car releases much more CO2 emissions while being driven and more total toxins when manufactured. During manufacture, a hybrid car releases more CO2 than a traditional car does. By extension, the total toxins released during a hybrid’s manufacture should be equivalent if not greater than the amount released to produce traditional cars. Compared to driving a car, manufacturing a new car releases more toxic compounds.

Although the science on the benefits of fuel cells and hybrids seems conflicting, the reality is much easier to understand: if you want to reduce your environmental impact and save the most money, take public transportation; if you need a car, it’s better sticking with the one you already have or buying a used one instead of purchasing a new hybrid (assuming those cars are small and well-maintained). Any potential environmental benefits of a hybrid are negligible after accounting for the environmental impact of the car’s production.

__________________________________________________ ___________

Conservative estimates of oil reserves go from 150 to 1000 years. These so called hybrid vehicles do nothing but create a monstrous environmental impact. Not to mention the disposal problems associated with these disposable autos.

All of these efforts in hybrids, corn fuel, wind farms, ect. just pull resources from domestic drilling, nuclear power, new refineries and all the things we should be doing to insure that we provide the energy that fuels freedom.

Workin' 4 Toys
04-02-2008, 10:52 AM
What will it cost to replace the batteries, and when is the "suggested" replacement?

Roonie's
04-02-2008, 11:28 AM
Don't know? All I know is they have an 8 year 100,000 mile warranty on the Hybrid parts. My motivation for thinking of buying a Hybrid is not so much environmental reasons. I like the technology and gas savings idea. The technology is really cool in this car.

Workin' 4 Toys
04-02-2008, 12:05 PM
Just wondered if it was "Maintenance" and not so much "repair"...

Workin' 4 Toys
05-13-2008, 10:57 PM
I drove one a few days ago.
I never really took the time to figure out how the system works. What was weird to me, the A/C blew ice cold without the engine running at all the stop lights, and there was not a sound to be heard. I guess I was expecting the engine to stay running for the A/C to stay on...

I had a hard time keeping my eyes off the display, that is when I wasn't watching the tach going from off to on... I'm sure I'd get used to it quick. Seeing the Avg MPG gauge read 99 often was pretty cool....:cool:
MPG gauge on the sticker...20 city, 20 hwy

captain planet
05-14-2008, 09:58 AM

I can't speak for the GM hybrid vehicles, but Toyota has had very little problems with their batteries in the Prius. Consumer Reports noted they had some initial problems early on, but they have become pretty bullet proof since around 2002.

yesitis
09-17-2011, 04:53 AM
I have a 2011 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid - I love it. I am pulling a MC X-15 with no issues around town. The only time I really notice it is on major hills, but just shift it into a manual gear and I am good to go.
When I am not towing, I am getting just shy of 20 combined. When I am towing, I am getting aruond 14 combined.
I am thinking about going to a 2500HD Duramax because of wanting to tow the X-15 over the pass in the summer, but I need to weigh my options. How much mileage am I towing, and how much mileage am I not towing?
Anyone have a newer Duramax? What sort of mileage are you getting when towing?