PDA

View Full Version : Okay..you guys w/ the new skins...

Jorski
04-01-2005, 10:16 AM
Here is what I am looking for....several of you lucky folks who have bought new skins have had them for a few months. I would guess that you have either installed them or are about to. This thread is intended to be your showcase:

Before and after shots plus perhaps a little blurb about the procedure.

Looking forward to your posts guys !

east tx skier
04-01-2005, 01:07 PM
Mine are wrapped in plastice, sprayed with 303, in a box, in a closet, and will remain there until replacement is absolutely necessary. I expect my current skins to last me another 8-10 with proper care.

I'm slightly less tightly wound knowing I can replace some of the high-$ pieces if need be.

Jorski
04-01-2005, 11:34 PM
Mine are wrapped in plastice, sprayed with 303, in a box, in a closet, and will remain there until replacement is absolutely necessary. I expect my current skins to last me another 8-10 with proper care.

I'm slightly less tightly wound knowing I can replace some of the high-$ pieces if need be.

Hmmm...I guess you're off the hook Tex...now for the rest of you...

Tom Jones
04-02-2005, 09:55 AM
Can you buy new seat skins somewhere?
I have a '94 205 and need to replace the passenger seat. Stitching is giving way.

VTJC
04-02-2005, 10:51 AM
Yes you can order skins from MC, or you could just buy this entire 205 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4539786856 Jamie

east tx skier
04-02-2005, 01:18 PM
Tom, from what the dealer from whom I bought my skins told me, you are only going to be able to get all white skins. If you need the seat base, that shouldn't be a problem. But for color matched skins, that ship may have sailed (although I was able to get one seat back after the 01/01/05 deadline.

Tom Wortham
04-04-2005, 12:56 PM
Ordered a full set for my 86. They sent white instead of Grey. Finally got the grey ones in. Pictures are of the white ones. Kept the white ones (blue stripes)... thought I would keep them as a extra set.. or might turn them. Still getting bids on new carpet... and have someone install the skins for me. Waited too long to do it myself... would rather spend quality time with my boys and have someone else do the work. Need to get that boat back in the water ASAP. I'll post after new skins and carpet are complete. MC did a GREAT job! Glad I got a set before they stopped making the multi-color. :D

BriEOD
04-04-2005, 01:05 PM
I'm slightly less tightly wound...

Some how I doubt that!! ;)

east tx skier
04-04-2005, 01:32 PM
I gotta quit setting you up like that. I'm getting my throttle issue looked at at the moment by our new local marine service center. Most of the guys who work there own tournament inboards. They have a 40 gallon test tank, too, which will hopefully mean I won't have to pay for someone to take the boat to the lake to test it. I haven't abandoned SWCC, but until they get relocated, they're not taking on new service projects, or so I was told last month.

The good news is that there's a chance I'll have a MC dealer down the street by next year. Of course, there's also a chance it could be a Malibu dealer.

Star92
04-06-2005, 10:29 PM
What was the cost of the skins from MC. Mine have no tears, but I wouldn't mind putting a set in the closet so I wouldn't have to worry about it so much. Everyone gets mad because im too picky about my boat. Thanks.

east tx skier
04-06-2005, 11:01 PM
Bennetts had a sale in December. There's a guy in TN that will make you skins using the factory vinyl. For a 190 it should run you anywhere from $750--$1,000 or more.

Bugsrus
04-07-2005, 02:08 PM
Hey guys. I am in the process of replacing all the skins in my 1993 Prostar 205. I think it was like 22 pieces. Anyways I ordered from Bennetts. Since my brother worked there I got a discount and it only cost me $1500. Otherwise with normal markup I think it would have been closer to $2000.

Anyways I am in the middle of putting them on the seats, ect. It is a lot of work to take the old skins off and get the new ones on just right. MC uses a ton of staples to put the skins on. I guess that is a good thing.

I will try to get some pics on the page here tomorrow...

east tx skier
04-07-2005, 02:32 PM
Be sure to use stainless steel staples. I think I was a little lean on my estimate last night. I spent close to $700 just to do specific pieces for my 205. Bennetts is good to deal with. Are they getting you the color-matched seats, or will they be all white?

Lance
04-07-2005, 09:15 PM
I have a new set of skins but won't have my garage at the lake done until the end of the year so end up keeping the boat outside. I will be replacing the skins next winter.

The skins look great though and can't wait. I'll be back to this thread next year.

bradamerry
04-07-2005, 09:47 PM
I checked on my boat today and should have it back sometime next week, with new carpet and the new skins. Skins already look great!!!

Farmer Ted
04-07-2005, 09:54 PM
I checked on my boat today and should have it back sometime next week, with new carpet and the new skins. Skins already look great!!!

I'm ready Wildman!!!!!!!!!!!

We might go up to Greeson next Saturday and have a test run with the camper to see what kind of stuff we need to get setup.
Summer needs to hurry up!

bradamerry
04-07-2005, 09:58 PM
I'm ready Wildman!!!!!!!!!!!

We might go up to Greeson next Saturday and have a test run with the camper to see what kind of stuff we need to get setup.
Summer needs to hurry up!
You need to do that test on the camper. Never know what you may find on one that needs fixin'.

east tx skier
04-08-2005, 12:19 AM
Hey Brad, if you don't mind my asking, what'd the new carpet run you?

86PowerSlot190MC
04-08-2005, 10:31 AM
Ordered a full set for my 86. They sent white instead of Grey. Finally got the grey ones in. Pictures are of the white ones. Kept the white ones (blue stripes)... thought I would keep them as a extra set.. or might turn them. Still getting bids on new carpet... and have someone install the skins for me. Waited too long to do it myself... would rather spend quality time with my boys and have someone else do the work. Need to get that boat back in the water ASAP. I'll post after new skins and carpet are complete. MC did a GREAT job! Glad I got a set before they stopped making the multi-color. :D

You wouldn't be willing to sell those white and blue seats skins would you?????

I have an 86 with the white and blue trim!

Tom Wortham
04-21-2005, 05:30 PM
86PowerSlot,
I looked at your boat in your profile... I bet the skins would be perfect for you.
E-mail me with an offer. tom.wortham@primacy.com I will also try to e-mail you directly... I have been on the road... sorry for the late response.
Best Regards, Tom

scott88prostar
05-15-2005, 01:05 PM
At least I dont need the lawn chairs anymore

Jorski
05-15-2005, 01:08 PM
scott88prostar,

Looks great !!!! throw up a few more pics if you get a chance.

Jordan

scott88prostar
05-15-2005, 01:11 PM
Txs Jordon....doing the sideboards now ...then the dog house..then the dreaded back seat!....they sent the small block cover waiting for the new one...so I have an extra if anyone needs a small block cover with my colors

stevo137
05-15-2005, 02:14 PM
Txs Jordon....doing the sideboards now ...then the dog house..then the dreaded back seat!....they sent the small block cover waiting for the new one...so I have an extra if anyone needs a small block cover with my colors

Scott,
Looks great.
Now a sand blast and powder coat on that pylon would do the trick.
I did that to my 88 grab rails, vents, and pylon with great results.
MC used a liquid paint on various components and windshields that had poor adhesion on many models and years.
Matter of fact, I see that you live fairly close to me and I work in the Chicago area.
Let me know if you are interested and I can get it done for you.

scott88prostar
05-15-2005, 08:37 PM
Hey Stevo...Id love to do the pylon and everything else...put Ive run out of time...time to use it...also my pylon is rock solid and Im afraid to mess up a good thing...any ideas for the right paint while its attached...was going to sand and look for a direct to metal enamel gloss.

If you want to ski with us the train stops by the course (kinda...Northwest Line)....always welcome....get on the train with your stick!

stevo137
05-15-2005, 08:47 PM
Hey Stevo...Id love to do the pylon and everything else...put Ive run out of time...time to use it...also my pylon is rock solid and Im afraid to mess up a good thing...any ideas for the right paint while its attached...was going to sand and look for a direct to metal enamel gloss.

If you want to ski with us the train stops by the course (kinda...Northwest Line)....always welcome, we have a course....get on the train with your stick!

Scott,
Thanks for the offer! We will do it this summer.
As far as the paint goes, don't waste your time, it will not hold up.
I coated mine with the same powder that they use on Weber grills.
Keep in mind that powder fully cures in 10-20 minutes!
The adhesion, impact, gloss retention, and finish is long term and is superior to the original "paint job" that MC used.
As far as the pylon, it's only 4 bolts and I can get it coated for you in no time.
Let me know when you are ready.

scott88prostar
05-15-2005, 09:31 PM
Sounds good!..... I'll take it out when the waters frozen

Ski-A-Rees
05-16-2005, 12:39 AM
scott88prostar- where did you get your skins from? I have the same boat with a 454 and i'm in need of new stuff!!!

scott88prostar
05-16-2005, 08:46 AM
Ski I purchased mine thru Bennetts ..they were around $750...they had a 20% off sale in December....my local guys price was over a $1,200......after doing it or being halfway through....wish I would have done it locally...its really time consuming and not as much fun as wrenching on a motor.

Waterski-Marcoisland
06-05-2005, 10:35 PM
Any guys had the back sun pad replace on their BF 200 ?
I had an idea of just replacing it with hydro turf, a spongy non skid material. Any ideas?

woodskier
06-27-2005, 01:10 PM
I am looking for a set of skins for my 84 Stars and Stripes. Blue and Grey. I called MC in Nov., and they quoted me $980, but now that I am ready to buy, they no longer have any. I am looking for suggestions. Would prefer original pattern, but newer, materials probably hold up better. I hear everyone mention Bennetts. Can I get a phone number or website for them. On the old chat this guy in TN was mentioned often. Anyone had dealings and contact info for him?

Tom, interested in selling the white ones? Though I would prefer the blue and Grey from the 84.
Thanks

Any thoughts would be helpful

Tom Wortham
07-06-2005, 02:45 PM
I am looking to get rid of the Blue and White set.... WoodSkier, I just sent you a private e-mail. After a hot weekend in Texas... I am almost thinking the white would be cooler than the grey. You can see my boat on my profile. I got both sets from Bennetts. They got them directly from MC. Best Regards, Tom W.

BriEOD
07-06-2005, 02:48 PM
Tom you ever consider adding a bimini top? Now that I have one I can't imagine going out without one.

east tx skier
07-06-2005, 03:15 PM
www.skibennetts.com

They had a 20% off deal in December, which is why I think everyone was buying from them at the time.

90Limited
07-06-2005, 04:55 PM
I called them today and they told me that they no longer do upholstery. Any other ideas on who to call. I have a 90 190 LE. The Seats are all white with a black stripe and Teal and Black letters and stars.

Tom Wortham
07-06-2005, 04:57 PM
Tom you ever consider adding a bimini top? Now that I have one I can't imagine going out without one.

I have one. It's by Barfoot (sp?) it slides over my sky high pole and tightens to the pole. Works pretty good. Used it this weekend. Probably not as easy as a standard bimini.... but it works well with the fly high pole.

Tom Wortham
07-06-2005, 04:59 PM
I called them today and they told me that they no longer do upholstery. Any other ideas on who to call. I have a 90 190 LE. The Seats are all white with a black stripe and Teal and Black letters and stars.
"They" being Bennetts or MC? I think you can still get skins... but not in the same org. colors. Doug, what was that year cut off? 1993? :confused:

east tx skier
07-06-2005, 06:35 PM

www.rambomarine.com

Word is no more colors. Atlfooter had a source for someone that would make skins using the OEM vinyl for a really good price. If you do a search for "skins," you'll get about 4 pages of results. Go to page 4 and read the thread with the most messages. The guys number should be on there. If not, PM Atlfooter.

As for the heat stamping, the replacement skins you get from MC will not have it.

east tx skier
07-06-2005, 06:36 PM
"They" being Bennetts or MC? I think you can still get skins... but not in the same org. colors. Doug, what was that year cut off? 1993? :confused:

I was told they were only doing accent colors for 1999 and newer. I got another couple of pieces with the accent colors from rambo after the cutoff though. So who knows.

Tom Wortham
07-07-2005, 12:22 PM
I am looking for a set of skins for my 84 Stars and Stripes. Blue and Grey. I called MC in Nov., and they quoted me $980, but now that I am ready to buy, they no longer have any. I am looking for suggestions. Would prefer original pattern, but newer, materials probably hold up better. I hear everyone mention Bennetts. Can I get a phone number or website for them. On the old chat this guy in TN was mentioned often. Anyone had dealings and contact info for him?

Tom, interested in selling the white ones? Though I would prefer the blue and Grey from the 84.
Thanks

Any thoughts would be helpful
Woodskier,
I put one last e-mail and phone call into my previous buyer.... I wanted to ensure he did not want them.... before I moved on. He left me a message last night and said he wanted them. I told them... they are getting popular... and to send the funds ASAP. I sent him my address this a.m. I'll keep you posted if the transaction is complete or falls through. Best Regards.

woodskier
07-12-2005, 03:18 PM
Thanks, Just left you a Voice Mail. Let me know if it falls through.

Tom Wortham
07-18-2005, 03:53 PM
Thanks, Just left you a Voice Mail. Let me know if it falls through.

Woodskier,
Funds arrived today from my CA buyer. Good luck with your search. Share with the "board", I am sure there are plenty of older boat owners who will have this same need. Especially with how long these boats run. :steering:

woodskier
07-19-2005, 04:04 PM
Woodskier,
Funds arrived today from my CA buyer. Good luck with your search. Share with the "board", I am sure there are plenty of older boat owners who will have this same need. Especially with how long these boats run. :steering:
No problem, still searching. Thanks for your help.

david_ski
08-02-2005, 01:02 AM
Did you order the skins from your local dealer or contact MC directly?

Tom Wortham
08-03-2005, 11:38 AM
Did you order the skins from your local dealer or contact MC directly?

David, I ordered the skins from Bennett's. The box the came in and address that was on it was from MasterCraft in TN. When I went to MC they told me to go through my local dealer. From reading on this board... Bennett's was offering a heck of a deal... not sure how they could do this and other dealers were not. :confused: But, the skins were perfect! Will post pictures once they are on with new carpet... Work to be completed this off-season. Welcome to the board!

BIGBADBLUE
08-09-2005, 04:33 PM
I just repaced the skins on my rear seat, observers seat and bow cushions on my '94 205. It takes a lot of time to get it perfect but not that technical. Just be prepared to take out 1,000 staples. Looks great.

east tx skier
08-09-2005, 06:18 PM
I long, flat-head scredriver with a thin blade is a must for removing the staples (that or a staple remover).

BradD
08-10-2005, 12:30 PM
I just repaced the skins on my rear seat, observers seat and bow cushions on my '94 205. It takes a lot of time to get it perfect but not that technical. Just be prepared to take out 1,000 staples. Looks great.

Any pics?
I have a 1992 205 with a trashed interior, even the side panels. Anyone know how many fastening bolts there are on the side panels?

scott88prostar
08-11-2005, 11:45 AM
I used a pointed small screwdriver with a 90 degree bend on it...worked great for staple removal....mechanic gloves are good too so you dont get poked.

tcitruck
08-16-2005, 12:50 AM
I have a prostar 205, 1997 with 879 hours. LOTS of use only in summers. Have 7 kids and too many of thier friends to count. The boat is used and used hard. This winter will be buying new skins, new gauges, new back seat, new sound system, and will try to bring back the ext. color by buffing and 600 wet sanding. Will keep posted how it goes. Will be buying materials from Bennett's and hope they cooperate. Any thoughts or advice here. Is this something a novice can do?

Robert Averyt
08-26-2005, 12:07 PM
Well here goes..

I have been quiet since the last time I ordered skins. But last night I noticed the rear top deck skins on my 01 190 are cracking at the seams. This will be the second time I have changed them. Do you think we could get it as an option that all skins have zippers. Sure would make it easier to change them every 18 months. Sure we use our boat a bunch, but we do not abuse it. It is covered and under the boat house except when in use. Last time my upholsterers installed the new skins they said the material was a really cheap brand. I think this time I will have them start from scratch. O.K. I am done and off of my soap box.

Robert Averyt
Lake Louise http://pages.tca.net/raveryt/

Jorski
08-29-2005, 11:58 AM
Make sure to post the "from scratch results"....we are interested inall interior work

87MC owner
09-25-2005, 12:35 AM
NO such thing as being too picky with a Mastercraft!

erkoehler
09-25-2005, 01:41 AM
What products are you using on the interior? Could it be deteriorating the threads? Just a question, no offense intended..... ;)