PDA

View Full Version : Stock JL audio system good enough???

rodecker1978
03-27-2008, 06:02 PM
To those of you with the JL audio stock system....do you think it's an adequate sound system? Do you think the single 10" sub is enough bass? I have my 08' X2 coming with 4 tower spkrs but am really wondering how much bass the sub puts out.

Almost summer time!!!

rrbooker
03-27-2008, 06:13 PM
the stock system is very nice, but you'll probably want more bass! I added 2 10 subs under the seats, which you can see in my photos.

duckguy
03-27-2008, 06:19 PM
You will want more bass the open air sub is not enough.

Ole Miss Rebels
03-27-2008, 06:47 PM
obviously i am in the minority here but my sub puts out a lot of bass. too much. however, it may be due to the fact that i added a bass knob and cranked it all the way up. also, i put the filter on low pass to keep any highs out. at low volumes i couldn't tell that the knob did anything but at high volume it had the boat shaking. i don't like too much bass anyway. i like to hear the highs plus my hearing isn't what it used to be and with older age it's always the highs that you lose first. so my suggestion would be to buy yourself a $35 bass knob that fits your bass amp and see what that does. i believe you'll be pleased with the increased output.

JBaker
03-27-2008, 08:03 PM
Hard to say in advance if you will think its enough. I wouldn't make any major plans to add on or expand until you at least hear it while underway.

I do think its hard to argue against adding more amps and more subs though, unless you are dealing with space or current draw issues. Even if you were to add more power and woofers than you need, you could just back the gains down a little and have a great sounding system with tons of headroom.

JBaker
03-27-2008, 08:38 PM
the stock system is very nice, but you'll probably want more bass! I added 2 10 subs under the seats, which you can see in my photos.

Nice system Booker :toast:

rrbooker
03-28-2008, 08:52 AM
Nice system Booker :toast:

Thanks! I had fun installing, and i can't wait to do it all over again!

skeeler
03-28-2008, 10:57 AM
Stock system is a good start. The JL speakers are very good, just need more power. So an amp upgrade would be the first step. But I would also agree, more bass is needed for sure.

rodecker1978
03-31-2008, 01:11 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I'll test her out when she arrives in a few weeks....and then consult with you guys for the best upgrade options. I'm sure I'll want some more bass :)

duckguy
03-31-2008, 10:01 AM
The stock set up actually would not be that bad power/sub wise. Its just that it is an open air sub vs. being in a sealed box. Open air subs bottom out quickly as volume increases.

rodecker1978
03-31-2008, 11:48 AM
The stock set up actually would not be that bad power/sub wise. Its just that it is an open air sub vs. being in a sealed box. Open air subs bottom out quickly as volume increases.

Thanks duckguy,
My apologies...I'm not too "audio savvy". So the first logical step would be to put a sealed box around the stock JL sub, right? It really makes that significant of a difference in sub performance? After speaking to my dealer...they said they can do that no problem and they would use fiberglass to box the sub...

Thanks much.

tr6coug
03-31-2008, 05:06 PM
Stock system is a good start. The JL speakers are very good, just need more power. So an amp upgrade would be the first step.

Skeeler, how much power do you recommend putting into the JLs?

skeeler
03-31-2008, 05:28 PM
100 watts is good, 150 is even better. Just don't get happy with the amp gains.

JBaker
03-31-2008, 08:15 PM
Thanks duckguy,
My apologies...I'm not too "audio savvy". So the first logical step would be to put a sealed box around the stock JL sub, right? It really makes that significant of a difference in sub performance? After speaking to my dealer...they said they can do that no problem and they would use fiberglass to box the sub...

Thanks much.

You don't want to seal in the existing JL sub. It is a free air sub and is thus designed to be used in a free air environment (technically known as infinite baffle.)

Putting the difference between free air subs and traditional subs (designed for either ported or sealed enclosures) in Lehman terms is pretty simple. A traditional sub utilizes the air it compresses inside the enclosure as part of it's suspension. A free air sub has a much stiffer built-in suspension (this can be verified from the technical side by the fact that you will notice that they often have lower x-max ratings indicating less excursion.) So if you were to put a free air woofer in a reasonably sized enclosure (under 2 cu ft.) you are effectively stiffening an already stiff suspension. The bass will become very pecky and it will not hit any really low frequencies.

If you want to an an enclosure for that sub, you will need to change the sub. This is why JL offers two distinct marine models. The only difference is whether or not they will be used in an enclosure.

Hopes this helps and, for the record, I loathe language like "bottom out." :mad:

Eagle Lake Rebel
03-31-2008, 11:06 PM
I agree that the stock system is a good start and way better than what comes in most boats. Add one more sub and some extra power and the cabin is ready to go. While the tower cans are the best looking set-up out there, I think Wet Sounds is a better choice for sound back at 65-70 ft. I'm very close to taking the JL's off the tower and going with the Wet Sounds. I'd be interested in other comments on Wet Sounds vs the JL's.

Ole Miss Rebels
03-31-2008, 11:32 PM
I agree that the stock system is a good start and way better than what comes in most boats. Add one more sub and some extra power and the cabin is ready to go. While the tower cans are the best looking set-up out there, I think Wet Sounds is a better choice for sound back at 65-70 ft. I'm very close to taking the JL's off the tower and going with the Wet Sounds. I'd be interested in other comments on Wet Sounds vs the JL's.
having never heard wetsounds i can't comment first hand whether the wetsounds justify the cost when you already own the jl's. however, everyone who has heard both will say that the wetsounds are far, far superior to the jl's at riding distance from the boat. another question is how unpleasant is it for the occupants in the boat cabin when the wetsounds are cranked up? i have read where people say it will make your ears bleed. i know they are speaking figuratively but i suspect they do believe their ears are about to start bleeding. supposedly it can get unpleasantly loud. well, for someone like me who likes it loud (as long as it is balanced and clear) and has some high frequency hearing loss), i might be all for that. as long as i am not forced to listen to gilbert o'sullivan or neil sadaka i figure hearing the stones pound out "paint it black" at high decibels might be pretty inspiring. " i see a red door and i want it to paint it black, no colors anymore i want them to turn black", (jagger/richards)

rodecker1978
03-31-2008, 11:33 PM
Thanks JBaker. I'm curious to know if my dealer actually knows this...I'd hope they do as they are "supposed" to be the experts. I'll see how I like the stock system and then add a sub if necessary. Where do you guys think the best place is for an additional 10" subwoofer?

Eagle Lake Rebel
03-31-2008, 11:43 PM
Come on now OMR we all know you like a little Berry White too!

Ole Miss Rebels
03-31-2008, 11:51 PM
Come on now OMR we all know you like a little Berry White too!
well, i supose you're right. a man can always use a little barry while in the boat. you never know what it could lead to later on. and if nothing else it is good for a quick reminder to stop at burger king on the way home from the lake.