PDA

View Full Version : Wooden ski deck is really loose?

Rycmoore
03-27-2008, 12:06 PM
Ok, so I have had my boat (Mastercraft X-30) for about a year and my ski deck on the back is starting to become really loose. I had it checked out when I took it in for winterization and they said that there was no problem and that as long as the pins are in then I should never have a problem. I dont think there is anything wrong but it would give me some piece of mind if it was not rocking back and forth.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to tighten it up so it doesnt rock up and down when we are stopped out on the water?

coz
03-27-2008, 12:14 PM
Ok, so I have had my boat (Mastercraft X-30) for about a year and my ski deck on the back is starting to become really loose. I had it checked out when I took it in for winterization and they said that there was no problem and that as long as the pins are in then I should never have a problem. I dont think there is anything wrong but it would give me some piece of mind if it was not rocking back and forth.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to tighten it up so it doesnt rock up and down when we are stopped out on the water?

Did you try tightening the screws that hold the cleats that hold the step together (underside cross members)? or is it the brackets to the boat? :)

Where are you in the southwest that you need to winterize?

Rycmoore
03-27-2008, 12:22 PM
I live in east Texas but this year I could have gotten away without winterizing. Most years I have to. Only about 2 or 3 days a year to worry about but just want to be safe.

It is the brackets to the boat.

east tx skier
03-27-2008, 12:25 PM
Where in East TX are you?

Maristar210
03-27-2008, 12:30 PM
The play you have is the slop in the brackets and the pin holes. This is common. It is somewhat of a bother to some because of the clunk clunk up and down motion it makes when a wave hits it from behind, usually when you turn to pick up a rider and then stop suddenly.

You can do this yourself or ask your dealer to install a tensioning screw in the bracket so that once installed it does not move. This will solve your issue but I like many have just gotten used to what "that" noise is.

Nice boat BTW !!!

Steve

Rycmoore
03-27-2008, 12:30 PM
I am actually in Fort Worth but if I tell someone North Texas, they typically think the panhandle

east tx skier
03-27-2008, 12:32 PM
I am actually in Fort Worth but if I tell someone North Texas, they typically think the panhandle

Gotcha. It's pretty rare to find anyone who claims east TX when they don't have to. :o

Rycmoore
03-27-2008, 02:09 PM
I dont know what you are talking about. Its great out there, mosquitos are a problem though

Rycmoore
06-17-2008, 10:55 AM
Ok, so the slop in my teak deck on my boat is getting worse, what do i do now? Is it possible that it was bent some how?

ProTour X9
06-17-2008, 11:01 AM
The play you have is the slop in the brackets and the pin holes. This is common. It is somewhat of a bother to some because of the clunk clunk up and down motion it makes when a wave hits it from behind, usually when you turn to pick up a rider and then stop suddenly.

I thought this was supposed to happen??:confused:

Rycmoore
06-17-2008, 11:04 AM
It is apparently but I have a good 3 to 4 inches of play. Is that normal?

TMCNo1
06-17-2008, 11:44 AM
It is apparently but I have a good 3 to 4 inches of play. Is that normal?

I wouldn't think that much play is normal. Might I suggest you attempt to tighten it all up or have someone with knowledge of platforms do it for you ASAP, before some type damage is done to the boat, bracket and or platform or you lose it, that will cost you some serious $$$!

Maristar210
06-17-2008, 12:20 PM
Certainly you are concerned enough to take a picture of it in the up loose position and also the down loose position.

We can't help you if we can't see what your seeing..

Well except for Harold. He got those X ray glasses from Mr. Dorton ;)

TMCNo1
06-17-2008, 02:13 PM
Certainly you are concerned enough to take a picture of it in the up loose position and also the down loose position.

We can't help you if we can't see what your seeing..

Well except for Harold. He got those X ray glasses from Mr. Dorton ;)

The big lesson I learned from John when he gave me the glasses, was to use common sense before I put them on and tried to use them!