PDA

View Full Version : Toggle Switch Problems On Newer Mastercrafts

mcxfan
03-26-2008, 05:31 PM
Has anyone had problems with their illuminated toggle switches on the newer boats? I have had four break from normal usage. They broke on the plastic threads that the chrome bezzel attaches to. It seems like a stainless steal bezzel on the heavy duty switches would fix this issue. I sent an email to Mike (MYMC) to see if they have had seen this happening.

uawaterskier
03-26-2008, 06:31 PM
when we traded our 07 boat in, we had at least 2 if not 3 of those stupid long switches broken. They got snagged really easy on shorts and stuff.

Hrkdrivr
08-02-2008, 02:28 AM
Just had our first break yesterday ('06 X-45). They're pretty poorly designed for a MC product.

Any answers from MYMC? Easy to buy and replace?

SkiDog
08-02-2008, 11:39 AM
I had one break a couple of weeks ago while @ lake Dora. bad part was it was the running lights switch! Glad the MAN wasn't in the lake that night!

TMCNo1
08-02-2008, 03:46 PM
I had one break a couple of weeks ago while @ lake Dora. bad part was it was the running lights switch! Glad the MAN wasn't in the lake that night!

If you need a switch, I can give you some tips as to where you may be able to get a replacement!

Hrkdrivr
08-02-2008, 04:28 PM

That's the one that broke off in my hand too. Fortunately we were off the water before dark, because the MAN was all over the lake that day.

Hrkdrivr
08-02-2008, 04:29 PM
If you need a switch, I can give you some tips as to where you may be able to get a replacement!

Lemme guess, my local dealer?? :)

I gotta call around and see who has the best price...it looks like a very easy swap.

SkiDog
08-02-2008, 08:23 PM

REALLY!??!!??!?! That would be some GREAT information to obtain! THANK-YOU!

TMCNo1
08-02-2008, 10:49 PM
REALLY!??!!??!?! That would be some GREAT information to obtain! THANK-YOU!

:rolleyes::eek3::uglyhamme You'll never guess!

dapicatti
08-04-2008, 01:39 PM
Yes, ours broke right away....really frustrating

wakeX2wake
08-04-2008, 01:59 PM
had 3 broke... one i had to replace and the other two i was able to get them to work again w/ some "modification" (switches weren't used just got played w/ too much... heated seat and wash down switches on mine)... the one i had to replace was for the forward facing tower lights and when the replacement switch came in the red light wouldn't come on

michael freeman
12-27-2008, 05:08 PM
I just had the same problem with one of my switches(running lights). Mine is a '06 X-30.

I would like to replace the switch with something better made as well, if available. Willing to replace all the switches to get them to match, but would like something that looks good and preferably the lighted tip or similar.

michael freeman
12-27-2008, 05:38 PM
I found heavy duty switches without lights, but the lighted switches seem to be plastic.
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=8421&familyName=Tip+Lit+Toggle+Switch

Found these but I don't understand the difference between the types:
http://www.citswitch.com/Switch%20Products.htm

If I could get a three position lighted push button, that may work.

TallRedRider
12-27-2008, 07:13 PM
A pushbutton switch with the wires done backwards might stop things from getting caught on stuff. You could wire it so that the switch is on when it is out, and then it is flush when it is off.

Note to self, get an extra switch or two to carry in the boat.

These would probably work, but are not lit on the tip: For $1.50, it is hard to go wrong. I will see if I can find the lit tip switches that would fit later.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=060-370

91ps190
08-30-2010, 03:45 PM
And did anyone find a source for these switches? How much are they from the dealer (I don't have any close to me)? Also any dealers that have on-line parts sales? Thanks

TallRedRider
08-30-2010, 04:19 PM
I found some on Ebay. They are slightly longer than the original ones, but I just have them for spares.

Luckily, I have not needed them yet. My switches have not broken.

aredub
08-30-2010, 05:03 PM
I've busted one, too :mad:

vision
08-30-2010, 05:17 PM
I have replaced nearly everyone so far on my 08. Carling must have had a bad batch.

hbomb
08-30-2010, 08:33 PM
maybe these may help.........

http://www.searay-parts.com/Carling_Lighted_tip_toggle_switch_s/121.htm

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=36247&highlight=switches

jvbaca
08-30-2010, 08:52 PM
My nav light switch busted while on vacation at table rock lake in Missouri. Called chicago mastercraft. $18.00 for the switch, $50.00 for the fedex, not getting a ticket by the man (might have been cheaper in the long run) PRICELESS!.....

91ps190
08-30-2010, 09:44 PM
Looks like searay has the switches. Thanks for the link

Gerd
10-03-2012, 12:03 PM
I haven't been on here in a while but because a few weeks ago all of my toggle switches started to break, I thought I'd see if I was alone. I see from this forum, I'm not.
Funny thing is I know lots of people with boats 5 times as old as mine and a quarter of the price, who've had no problems with any of there switches.
Maybe if this is such a big issue, MC should buck up and at least cover the cost to replace these things. I would thing for the 10s of thousands we've spent to own one of these boats that at least they'd last a while. I could have bought a wake boat for half the cost if I wanted grief!
Come on Mastercraft...stand behind your product!!!