PDA

View Full Version : 2008 xstar with clunking noise

pistol pete
03-26-2008, 10:17 AM
I recently purchased a new 2008 xstar with a MCX engine and at idle and in neutral I get a clunking noise. The dealer said it is the new exhaust covers snapping back closed. Has anyone else experienced this type of clunk and if so what did you do to eliminate it?

jaysus
03-26-2008, 10:29 AM
Check your new folding platform brackets, they need to be tight to eliminate the clunking you may be hearing.

snork
03-26-2008, 06:46 PM
I was told it was the flaps hitting the swim platform

vision
03-26-2008, 08:33 PM
I do not know if I would call it clunking, but at idle or low speeds, in the right position (position of boat with the current) our 08 X-star makes a loud slapping or banging sound. It is either the flaps on the exhaust or the teak platform rocking in the holder. I can not tell which. Everything is tight. Never have we heard the noise when some one is on the platform making me think it is the platform.

I am installing a fresh air exhaust. So if it goes away, then I know it was the exhaust flaps. Our 05 X-2 with MCX and similar exhaust flaps did not make this noise.

TX.X-30 fan
03-26-2008, 08:46 PM
The teak will do that when a wave hits it??

Holman J.B.F
03-27-2008, 03:50 AM
i have a fiberglass platform and noticed that same noise.
maybe the new brackets or flaps,..kinda scary noise when you take it for a testdrive and demo.

Kyboater
03-27-2008, 08:40 AM
We've noticed that same noise at our dealership. It's the exhaust flaps. Not sure of a fix.

KJAECKIN
03-28-2008, 02:45 PM
Yeah, I just took out one of our X Star's and noticed it as well.

wakeX2wake
03-28-2008, 02:50 PM
why did MC get away from these
again?... seems like a cost cutting or something?
... that's the previous owner's reflection btw...

Chicago190
03-28-2008, 03:56 PM
I think the reason was the fold down platform did not work with those tips.

sdesmond
03-28-2008, 03:58 PM
why did MC get away from these
again?... seems like a cost cutting or something?
... that's the previous owner's reflection btw...

I think i read that the welds were comming apart on them. The fold down platform option could be a rerason to. I think you can still get new boats whith them .

vision
04-26-2008, 02:28 PM
Removing the exhaust flaps on our 08 X-star resolved the intermittent slapping noise we heard at slow speed in certain positions.

pistol pete
04-28-2008, 11:55 AM
I now have 55 hours on the boat and the clicking, clacking or what ever noise happens less frequently. But when it does happen you can feel it throughout the boat. I really think it is just a poor design change and am sure some MC ptential buyers are being turned off by such a noise. The other noticeable thing with the 08 is the nooise level in the cockpit while cruising, loud. In fact it is as loud if not louder than any inboard MC or other brands I have ever ridden in. In fact it is louder than the CC mustang just to give an idea. Does anyone have the similar noise issue and if so is there a fix?

Datdude
04-28-2008, 01:17 PM
I had a 1995 Prostar 190 that had a clunking noise at low speeds and idle and it turned out to be the swim platform moving in the brackets(slightly). I figured it out while in the water behind the boat and waves made the platform move and it was the same noise. While inside the boat the clunk corresponded with a vibration in the floor and I thought it was something in the driveline. Luckily it was something very simple.

vision
04-28-2008, 07:28 PM
The slapping or clunking sound in my X-star is definitely not the platform. But I know the noise of which you speak as we had it on our 2005 X2.

Pistol Pete is correct that the 08s are MUCH louder at speed than the previous MCs. Behind the boat it is even worse. There are a couple of threads on here about installing Silent Master mufflers, which MC started to offer again at the begin of this year due to noise complaints. If you really want to make your boat quiet, install a fresh air exhaust. I was astonished how much quieter a boat is with this system. Less expensive than Silent Master mufflers as well.

erkoehler
04-28-2008, 09:59 PM
There were some issues with the baffles coming out of some 2007 models, but the faulty tips were replaced under warranty.

pistol pete
04-29-2008, 09:52 AM
Vision can you help me with more information on fresh air exhaust system? Is it something that can be installed without dealer assistance? What does it do for the performance of the boat? Where can I find such a system?

ttu
04-29-2008, 09:58 AM
pistol, go to freshairexhaust.com

i had one on my last vdrive and it was great.

vision
04-29-2008, 01:00 PM
pistol, go to freshairexhaust.com

i had one on my last vdrive and it was great.

I concur. Larry Mann at Fresh Air Exhaust is great. Takes a few hours to install but not difficult. Make sure you have a hack saw with new blades or better yet a scroll saw with a metal blade if you end up installing this device.