PDA

View Full Version : rudder/steering cable issues

Hunterb
03-26-2008, 01:44 AM
Hi all,

Well I got in my boat the other day to check it out and found that I was unable to turn the steering wheel. The steering had been getting stiffer and stiffer last season so I knew the cable was going. So I took it out tonight and, while I was at it, I took the rudder out as well. I need a new cable for sure. The rudder bushings seem OK. I had a hell of time getting it out. The little grease fitting that is on the rudder housing is nothing but a rusted shell of its former self. I think those things are some strange grease fitting but I'm not sure and I can't tell by looking at the rust lump that's there. So, here are my questions:

1) When ordering a cable what measurement do I use? The plastic sheath part of the cable is 13 feet 6 inches long but then there is the metal fitting at the aft end and the cable/spring looking thing sticking out the other end. Do I measure the whole thing?

2) what is the story with the grease fitting? I'm going to have to drill the existing one out for sure.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bruce

Hunterb
03-27-2008, 12:30 PM
Just an update, if anyone is interested.

Apparently the rule of thumb is to measure the plastic sheath part of the cable and then add 18" to that to come to the cable length you need. Also, after scrutinizing my old cable I found some microscopic writing that had a '15' in it so I came to the conclusion that a 15 foot cable was what I needed. I found a teleflex cable on sale for $79.00 + $14.00 for the special replacement nut for the helm end.

Having a harder time with the grease nipple. Lot's of strange looks from parts people when I tell them it has no check ball in it. Will keep searching.

Is there a recommended grease type for the rudder shaft? Teflon maybe?

Thanks if you have any info.

Bruce

TMCNo1
03-27-2008, 12:38 PM
Just an update, if anyone is interested.

Apparently the rule of thumb is to measure the plastic sheath part of the cable and then add 18" to that to come to the cable length you need. Also, after scrutinizing my old cable I found some microscopic writing that had a '15' in it so I came to the conclusion that a 15 foot cable was what I needed. I found a teleflex cable on sale for $79.00 + $14.00 for the special replacement nut for the helm end.

Having a harder time with the grease nipple. Lot's of strange looks from parts people when I tell them it has no check ball in it. Will keep searching.

Is there a recommended grease type for the rudder shaft? Teflon maybe?

Thanks if you have any info.

Bruce

What's wrong with the Zerk fitting you now have? I have always used this grease for the steering fittings and rudder port, You can get it at Wal-Mart and Ace Hardware,

sdesmond
03-27-2008, 12:48 PM
I just ordered a steering cable from MasterCraft of Charlotte and he told me my 1994 PS190 cable was 17 foot. Is this right? I paid like 250 with shipping total for it. Seeing you paind under 100 makes me wonder if he is sending me the wrong cable. I looked on Skidim and they have a 17foot cable for 147.00. I wonder why MasterCraft of Charlotte is so much more mone. Sorry dont meant to threadjack.

flipper
03-27-2008, 12:52 PM
I just ordered a steering cable from MasterCraft of Charlotte and he told me my 1994 PS190 cable was 17 foot. Is this right? I paid like 225 total for it. Seeing you paind under 100 makes me wonder if he is sending me the wrong cable.

Hey TMC....Sounds like he might need some of that grease you got:D

TMCNo1
03-27-2008, 01:06 PM
Hey TMC....Sounds like he might need some of that grease you got:D

...........................Nevermind!

Hunterb
03-27-2008, 03:08 PM
My boat is a 1990 and the cable length was definitely 13' 6" (plastic covered portion) to which I was told to add 18", which comes to 15 feet. The cable I took out had tiny writing on it but definitely said 15 feet. I hope it's right. I'll do the obvious thing today and lay the two side by side and make sure everytnig lines up properly. The price was on sale, and the regular price was $111.00. That did not include the tube that goes over the rudder end that the 'pinch block' attaches to, or the special nut for the helm end.

TMC#1 - my current grease fitting is essentially a rusty blob of no use.

Sdesmond - I hope you're getting the right cable. Skidim usually knows what they're doing. I may have the wrong one

Bruce

sdesmond
03-27-2008, 04:08 PM
My boat is a 1990 and the cable length was definitely 13' 6" (plastic covered portion) to which I was told to add 18", which comes to 15 feet. The cable I took out had tiny writing on it but definitely said 15 feet. I hope it's right. I'll do the obvious thing today and lay the two side by side and make sure everytnig lines up properly. The price was on sale, and the regular price was $111.00. That did not include the tube that goes over the rudder end that the 'pinch block' attaches to, or the special nut for the helm end.

Sdesmond - I hope you're getting the right cable. Skidim usually knows what they're doing. I may have the wrong one

Bruce

I am pretty sure they gave me the right one. I have not heard anything but good things about MasterCraft of Charlotte.

TMCNo1
03-27-2008, 04:13 PM

Bruce

A MC dealer can supply you with the aluminum support tube that goes thru the clamp block bolted to a bracket that is bolted to the strut bolts, with the "no ball" zerk fitting in it. I wound up with one when someone else with a MC thought the zerk had to have a ball in it and when he sold the boat, I got it from him as a spare for our boat.
It should look something like this, as pictured in this owners manual, http://www.mastercraft.com/manuals/1989-1990_OwnersManual-PS190.pdf on page #29, just for reference.
You can get the support tube here, http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=6300666, but it comes without a zerk fitting in it.
Per Vince @ SKIDIM, they quit putting the "no ball" zerk fittings in them years ago or either have a rubber plug over the hole that you can squirt grease in, then turn the steering wheel lock to lock to lube it, then apply a good coating of grease on the moving part of the shaft every year, where it goes in and out of the support tube and all should be good. Also, keep your bilge pump working, keep the water dripping from the stuffing box to a minimum to prevent water from getting above the cable and submerging it in the water to keep it from getting into the steering cable and ruining it. What ruins these steering cables is lack of maintenance/greasing and water intrusion from the bilge that corrodes the cable inside and locks it up.

Hunterb
03-27-2008, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the infor TMC#1. I was able to salvage the tube from the old cable so that's all good. The clamp block is in good shape as well. The tube has a hole in it where a grease fitting could go. I actually filed the bottom of a regular grease fitting off which causes the spring and ball to fall out which gives you a normal size grease nipple without the ball in it. That should work if I can get it to screw into the tube without binding with the sleeve inside.

With regard to the rudder tube and the rudder 'shaft' are there supposed to be o-rings of some sort on the shaft? There were none there when I took it apart.

Sdesmond - I did lay the two cables side by side today and they are exactly the same and the new one is listed as a teleflex 15 foot cable. I suspect that the way these cable work that a 17 foot would also work, it would just have more poking into the bow area of the boat.

Back to the salt mine for me.

Thanks for the info.

Bruce

TMCNo1
03-27-2008, 07:24 PM
With regard to the rudder tube and the rudder 'shaft' are there supposed to be o-rings of some sort on the shaft? There were none there when I took it apart.

With our models, there are (2) "O" rings, in grooves in the rudder port hole, one near the top and one near the bottom and not on the shaft itself. Grease the rudder port hole and the "O" rings and the rudder shaft before you try to put the shaft in the port to help prevent chipping or gouging of the "O" rings as you insert it. Also, apply some grease to everything that moves/bolts or cotter pins in and around the rudder shaft/rudder port/cable connectors just for the giggles of it!

Hunterb
03-27-2008, 07:31 PM
So there should be o-rings in the tube and not on the shaft? What keeps them in their grooves during assembly? I need to look closely in the tube but I'm pretty sure there was nothing in there when I took it apart. It makes sense that they should be there for sure.

Bruce

TMCNo1
03-27-2008, 07:45 PM
So there should be o-rings in the tube and not on the shaft? What keeps them in their grooves during assembly? I need to look closely in the tube but I'm pretty sure there was nothing in there when I took it apart. It makes sense that they should be there for sure.

Bruce
At least on ours, there were (2) machined grooves inside the rudder port and the "O" rings sit in them and when the rudder shaft is inserted into the rudder port, the "O" rings are compressed out into the groove and tight against the shaft, then when you shoot a couple squirts of grease into the rudderport Zerk, it creates a seal between the (2) "O" rings to keep the water out and to keep it lubed.

Hunterb
03-27-2008, 08:13 PM
Makes perfect sense. I'll look tonight.

Thanks

Bruce

sdesmond
03-27-2008, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the infor TMC#1. I was able to salvage the tube from the old cable so that's all good. The clamp block is in good shape as well. The tube has a hole in it where a grease fitting could go. I actually filed the bottom of a regular grease fitting off which causes the spring and ball to fall out which gives you a normal size grease nipple without the ball in it. That should work if I can get it to screw into the tube without binding with the sleeve inside.

Sdesmond - I did lay the two cables side by side today and they are exactly the same and the new one is listed as a teleflex 15 foot cable. I suspect that the way these cable work that a 17 foot would also work, it would just have more poking into the bow area of the boat.

Back to the salt mine for me.

Thanks for the info.

Bruce

Bruce, your making me nervous now. I dont think a bigger one would work. When I look at it and the way it is installed 2 extra feet would make it difficult to install and i think it would bind up. Good thing here in nw indiana we got snow and sleet today so I got plenty of time to get it straightened out.

sdesmond
03-27-2008, 11:19 PM
I just did a search on google and some info came up that makes me feel better. 1985-1990 use a 15 foot cable. 1991 to 1999 use a 17footer. Again sorry to threadjack.

Hunterb
03-28-2008, 12:47 PM
Gotta love the internet. Glad to hear it will be the right size for your boat. I installed mine last night and it went in fine. Sure works a lot better than the old one.

TMC#1, you were right on. There are o-ring type things in the rudder tube. I greased the tube and shaft really well and replaced the goofy grease zerk with a normal one which I had filed the bottom off and removed the ball and spring so it should be easy to get grease to the shaft from now on.

I fiddled a bit trying to figure out where to place the clamp device on that tube but it seems to work alright, meaning the rudder is angled evenly on each side when fully turned.

It should all be good. Thanks for the help TMC#1

Bruce

TMCNo1
03-28-2008, 01:39 PM
Gotta love the internet. Glad to hear it will be the right size for your boat. I installed mine last night and it went in fine. Sure works a lot better than the old one.

TMC#1, you were right on. There are o-ring type things in the rudder tube. I greased the tube and shaft really well and replaced the goofy grease zerk with a normal one which I had filed the bottom off and removed the ball and spring so it should be easy to get grease to the shaft from now on.

I fiddled a bit trying to figure out where to place the clamp device on that tube but it seems to work alright, meaning the rudder is angled evenly on each side when fully turned.

It should all be good. Thanks for the help TMC#1

Bruce

Anytime, Bruce, that's one reason I'm here, just trying to help!