PDA

View Full Version : maristar wannabe

swerve247
03-25-2008, 11:49 PM
I am looking for some insight info on the 2000 Maristar 210 with the northstar ignition. It is nice boat but just needs a litle elbow grease and the dealer said the only possible thing that may need to be replaced is the manifolds. It is a salty dog boat down here in Fla. Does anyone have any info about this boat? I would greatly appreciate it!! I take it Friday for a little ride! Besides engine ? I am also wondering how the Maristar handles in very choppy water? Post back or e-mail me @ swerve247@msn.com. Thanks for letting me bend your ear!!!

Sodar
03-26-2008, 12:20 AM
Will you be using it in salt also?

swerve247
03-26-2008, 12:30 AM
Yes! I am living on the same brackish water that it has been on all of its life

Sodar
03-26-2008, 12:37 AM
Well, if you want my honest opinion, I would say find a freshwater boat, throw a closed cooling system on the thing and let it rip. However, the cost and availability of a freshwater boat is probably not quite there.

I would try to get any parts that are warn buy the salt (risers, heads, etc.) replace in the sales deal. I would also try to get a warranty with the sale. I have been around saltwater boats all my life and no mater how proactive and anal an owner is, the fact is that salt makes these things degrade faster than freshwater SUBSTANIALLY! Just check things over and let 'er rip! Good Luck!

As for the choppy ride, there will be others along to comment on that. Perhaps I can prep there answers though... What do you classify as "very choppy water"?

swerve247
03-26-2008, 12:48 AM
I am going to see what she has!! The salesman did not know much about the motor! He had a hard time trying to tell me what the paper thing was between the manifold and motor! I said the gasket! I am buying as is. Which NADA I am getting a hell of a deal. I am just curious about the Northstar ignition? Is it as great as they make out? For choppy water I am not refering to the ocean but rather inland water ways that can get rough! The boat needs to be wetsanded and waxed due to the fading and the interior has a rip that is know big deal. If they take they will fix everything and mark it up about another 8000.00 that is why I am concerned!! She has about 350 hrs on her what should I like for?

dpolen
03-26-2008, 11:27 AM
I think the Maristar is a great family boat. It's a good multi-purpose boat that will allow you to do just about anything you want. It handles decent in the chop, but you can get pounded on occasion. I'd love to have the Northstar engine in mine. Used V-Drives are still a hot commodity. I bought mine 2 years ago, highly doubt I've lost any money on my purchase. Just my 2 cents.

Maristar210
03-26-2008, 11:34 AM
I have an '04. It handles the chop well IMO. Northstar motor is okay but be more concerned with the damage to the boat from the salt. look it over well and insist the manifolds be at least pulled for inspection if not replaced. Here what mine looks like, good luck http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/Steves389/mc-1.jpg