PDA

View Full Version : New JL Tower speakers

dmayer84
03-25-2008, 09:20 PM
Looks like JL is making their own cans now.

http://marine.jlaudio.com/jlaudio_pages.php?page_id=57

This might be the ticket for me.

skeeler
03-26-2008, 08:23 AM
Looks like JL is making their own cans now.

http://marine.jlaudio.com/jlaudio_pages.php?page_id=57

This might be the ticket for me.
They are nice! Word is they will be about $1200 a pair. :eek:

ridesdirt
03-26-2008, 08:59 AM
They are nice! Word is they will be about $1200 a pair. :eek:

The mark up on stereo equipment is high, but it must be something like 600% on tower speakers. Makes me glad my boat came with 4 of them... of course they got their money somehow.

skeeler
03-26-2008, 09:14 AM
The mark up on stereo equipment is high, but it must be something like 600% on tower speakers. Makes me glad my boat came with 4 of them... of course they got their money somehow.
I hear ya! The real money made is on speakers, installation, and accessories/warranties. There really is not a huge mark up on things like amplifiers, head units, and electronic devices.
Crazy, we have an electronics store here, called Nebraska Furniture Mart, one of the largest retailers around and owned by Warren Buffet. Anyways, I have had a few friends that worked there, and they told me the store made about an average of $10-$15 on a car cd player! :D But made 5 times that much on installation of the product that took 20 minutes.

ridesdirt
03-26-2008, 09:29 AM
I hear ya! The real money made is on speakers, installation, and accessories/warranties. There really is not a huge mark up on things like amplifiers, head units, and electronic devices.

I would say the BIG stores put an end to the mark up on those items.

Speakers just seem way overpriced. Especially upper end home speakers, I suppose it is all that research and development. lol

Agreed on the warranty deal! Tons of profit there

Sorry for the high jack. Those JL's look nice!

wakeX2wake
03-26-2008, 09:32 AM
those are bad... wonder if the mount flush to MC towers?

bobx1
03-26-2008, 04:29 PM
I am looking to add two more factory tower speakers to my 07 X1. I want the same ones (JL) that came on the boat when I bought it last year. I am sure I will need to upgrade my factory amp (boat is in storage so I do not know the model #). Any clue what kind of $$ I am looking at to do this. My dealer will do the sale and install.

wakeX2wake
03-26-2008, 04:35 PM
the cans and speakers are deffinately going to hurt your feelings... $500/speaker/can?

Lennyp04
03-26-2008, 04:37 PM
New from dealer...they run $1770 I believe. Talk to Eric at Chicago MasterCraft. We got a helluva deal from him!

Lennyp04
03-26-2008, 04:38 PM
For a pair that is. Can/speaker/no lights

bobx1
03-26-2008, 06:16 PM
New last year, MC dealer listed them as $1,770 per pair retail. This was before the wheelin and dealin occured on the total price.

According to Skeeler's post he thinks/hopes the new ones are $1200 per pair direct from JL. I hope that is the case but I want them to match my current setup.

I searched the net and it appears a pair of speakers alone (no cans) are around $399 for new ones. I think I see where a set with cans is advertised at $1300 (name withheld but it is a MC dealer).

bbymgr
03-26-2008, 06:20 PM
I used to be a GM for Best Buy, and the Car Audio Department averaged about 45-50% Margin. To give you some reference.... the Computer Department only averaged 18% margin. The Installation Services were over 100% margin when you figured in Labor. Use this to your benefit next time you go shopping.

djhuff
03-27-2008, 09:02 AM
When I worked at an electronics store, the employee discount for speakers was roughly 1/2 the sales price. And think that these guys were still making money off of the employee sales.

Nothing else in the store was that big of a discount.

SchuyHigh
04-01-2008, 09:53 PM
Stopped by my local JL dealer today and they are not in production yet. They also do not have Sugg RetailPrice yet. Basically they are not available......yet.