PDA

View Full Version : Coast Guard at it's best!

SkiDog
03-25-2008, 06:25 PM
Wonder if THESE guys will get a B.U.I. test?
http://www.leenks.com/link105196.html
Some things on this site may be nws:confused:

Roonie's
03-25-2008, 06:35 PM
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/510445.jpg

TX.X-30 fan
03-25-2008, 06:38 PM
I thought the smaller vessel had to give right of way to the larger one?? You have to admit that guy in the fishing boat zoned out if he didnt see the cutter?

uawaterskier
03-25-2008, 06:56 PM
what a moron...he deserves to have his boat on the bottem

Sodar
03-25-2008, 07:05 PM
I thought the smaller vessel had to give right of way to the larger one?? You have to admit that guy in the fishing boat zoned out if he didnt see the cutter?

No, vessel size does not matter, but the small boat did have the right away.

When crossing, the vessel to your starboard (right) is considered the stand-on vessel and you should stay out of the way and avoid crossing ahead. The vessel to the left is the give-way vessel, or the vessel directed to keep out of the way so that the vessel to your right can cross.

Pretty Amazing to be honest!

Jerseydave
03-25-2008, 08:15 PM

When crossing, the vessel to your starboard (right) is considered the stand-on vessel and you should stay out of the way and avoid crossing ahead. The vessel to the left is the give-way vessel, or the vessel directed to keep out of the way so that the vessel to your right can cross.

I agree, meaning the CG was at fault. Even if he wasn't, he didn't take any action to avoid that collision. (yelling on the PA doesn't count since normal boats don't have one and I'm sure that guy in the outboard couldn't hear it anyway over his little egg beater)

WTRSK1R
03-25-2008, 08:31 PM

I agree that this is pretty amazing. The only exception that I am aware of is if one of the boats is non powered, then I believe they have the right of way over a power vessel.

Lennyp04
03-25-2008, 08:43 PM
Just watched it now....that coast guard guy should have atleast avoided the crash!

uawaterskier
03-25-2008, 10:31 PM
Just watched it now....that coast guard guy should have atleast avoided the crash!
someone should have avoided someone

Lennyp04
03-25-2008, 10:35 PM
someone should have avoided someone

Good point. But dont you think the CG should be able to deal with a situation like that a little better then they did?

LKNMC
03-25-2008, 10:42 PM
All i have to say is that somebody was stoned that day

kev88
03-25-2008, 10:48 PM
CG skipper was a civilian volunteer............

lanier92prostar
03-25-2008, 11:20 PM

Half the people that use a boat don't know that rule. I err to the side of being safe on our lake. The large boats run don't pay any attention to the smaller boats like mine and would run over me just like the video.
I don't understand why the coast guard boat didn't cut power or something.

Monte
03-25-2008, 11:26 PM
The large boats run don't pay any attention to the smaller boats like mine and would run over me just like the video.

***** envy:rolleyes:

Sodar
03-25-2008, 11:31 PM
Half the people that use a boat don't know that rule. I err to the side of being safe on our lake. The large boats run don't pay any attention to the smaller boats like mine and would run over me just like the video.

I would say about 5% of boaters know the rules of the road!! :mad:

And to be honest, the only reason I know is because I drove BIG boats all my life and hold a 100ton captain's license. There is just no reason for a rec boater to learn this info... if I had $10 bucks for every time I have had to pull the throttles all the way back at 40knots to avoid a collision, I could own an X-80 right now... and I am including guys running 70' yachts that do not have a clue either!

Anyways, the point of that little shpeel is that the one with the most experience should use any method available to avoid collisions. The fact that the skipper was a civilian has no bearing... he was on a USCG vessel and under direct authority of him. These guys are just lucky they did not kill anyone! The guys in the small boat are lucky that they did not kill themselves!

fintek9
03-25-2008, 11:32 PM
I don't understand why the coast guard boat didn't cut power or something.My thoughts exactly. I've had similar things happen as another boat is angeling towards me and I see all in the other boat is looking the other way at something. I'll drop power! let them go by, say a few chose words to myself (they still had no idea I was there as they go by) and power up! Seems to me the CG should of seen that and took action accordingly.

76S&S
03-26-2008, 08:42 AM
CG skipper was a civilian volunteer............

I caught that to, apparently a volunteer that doesn't know the rules of the road.:(

lazypiper
03-26-2008, 10:38 AM
Even though the little guy had the right of way. He was really not paying attention. If the USCG was on a rescue, why did they not have their lights a siren on? To add to that they should have been blowing their horn like crazy. According the the USGC five short blast to alert danger or if you do not agree with the other boats actions. Now I have to get my Power Squadron book.:rant: "General rule of responsibility This rule states that the owner, captain and crew of any vessel must comply with the rules. It also states that the owner, captain and crew must take every precaution required by the "ordinary practice of good seamanship" to avoid immediate danger, including collision. Precaution may include departing from the rules." So the USCG was totally wrong because they saw it coming and decided to just run the guy over:eek:. I do all my boating in salt water and all I see is fools drive $200,000+ race boats with no boating background into everything.