PDA

View Full Version : Help with Check Engine Light

KHall
03-25-2008, 05:15 PM
Just sold my 2000 PS195 w/ a Indmar 310hp Vortec TBI.
New owner tried it out and while it still runs well it threw a check engine light at above 4,000 rpm. The boat was great to me and i'd like to help him out. After the light he then shut down, checked things out, and restarted fine with no engine light. This occured twice. All fluids are fine and all gauges remained normal during these events. Good oil pressure and 160 temps. The engine starts and runs very well.

Within the last year the engine has had New:
Plugs, cap, rotor & wires.
Map sensor
Cleaned flame arrestor.
Compression was 200 psi, 100 hrs ago.

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences like this?
Thanks,

JimN
03-25-2008, 05:55 PM
Need to find out which code it is. Check engine light tells nothing. Go to the side of the motor with the starter and make sure the dark blue wire is plugged onto the big brass-looking part (knock sensor) that needs a 7/8" socket to install. If that's on the other side, put the plug in and the knock sensor in the correct positions.

If it's not that, go to the rear of the motor and look for the DLC (Data Link Connector), pull the cap off and look for terminals A and B. Insert a paperclip in these two terminals, turn the key to ON and watch the light flash. It's going to flash 12, three times. 12 is a single flash, a pause and two flashes (shorter interval). If it only flashes 12, there are no major codes but I would go around and make sure the battery terminals are clean and tight. Also, make sure the screws on the ignition switch are snug. Loose wires can make the light flash.

Otherwise, if you have a code, report back here and we can figure out what the problem is.

KHall
03-25-2008, 08:23 PM
Thanks JimN, we will try that.

KHall
03-31-2008, 04:09 PM
Success!!
It was the blue wire to the knock sensor. JimN gets another home run.
Thanks for the Help!

flipper
03-31-2008, 04:39 PM
You're the man Jim!!!!!!!

wakeX2wake
03-31-2008, 04:43 PM
JimN... i think your avatar need to be a collage of all the MC motors ever made b/c you seem to know 'em all inside and out...

-amazed in alabama

Cousin_Jeff
03-31-2008, 05:26 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen, THAT is why I love this website! All of the experience on here to share with everyone. JimN just saved this guy at least $100 for them to just look at it and saved him a lot of unnecessary worrying over a boat he just purchased.

Thanks to all of you that help each other out on here. Here's to hoping I never need you to help me but always knowing you're there.

76S&S
03-31-2008, 05:52 PM
JimN has to be either a professional wrench or a certified wrenchhead

I know he is the one I'll be calling on if I ever need help.

JimN
03-31-2008, 07:04 PM
"JimN has to be either a professional wrench or a certified wrenchhead"

Not anymore. No dealers close enough to my house since the meltdown at the first place and the drive to the second one was too long.

"JimN just saved this guy at least $100"

I take PayPal. :->