PDA

View Full Version : Patching a hole in the bottom of the boat

justinglow
03-25-2008, 01:13 PM
Anybody on here have any advice on how to patch a hole on the bottom of a boat? The 83 I bought has a hole under the bunk. Looks like maybe from a bolt head?

It looks like I am going to have to cut out some of the foam insulation to patch it right too. Any ideas what to put back in place of the foam?

flipper
03-25-2008, 01:18 PM
Do you have any pics of it? Depending on how bad it is, I've use some fiberglass filler before. Kind of like bondo, but has glass in it. I think I just went to Home Depot for it.

sethro
03-25-2008, 01:54 PM
I cut the floor out to access the swim platform mounting area of the transom. On one side, no foam for the last 18" or so...not supposed to be like that but it was. The other side had every void filled with foam. An engineer from MC told me to just fill the spaces with great stuff expanding foam. Obviously be careful with the expanding part of that.

You may also run into the stringers blocking access to where your hole is at. Pain in the butt. Call the folks at West System Epoxy in Michigan. Very helpful technical support and they will lead you in the right direction and have all the materials needed for the job.

justinglow
03-25-2008, 04:25 PM
I thought about the expand foam. I am glad someone else mentioned it as well. Feel a little better about using it.

Do you think I should cut the wet foam out or just let it dry out?

roddydog
03-25-2008, 04:51 PM
If you're gonna use that stuff let it dry first then cut, shape and sand.

DO NOT MESS WITH THE WET STUFF!!!!! It's a PITA.

Post some pics (says me who has none!)

Lennyp04
03-25-2008, 05:05 PM
Pics!!! Although I can't help I still want to see it. Sorry...

loeweb
03-25-2008, 06:11 PM
I don't know for sure, but I would definitely get rid of the old wet foam. And definitely let the new stuff dry before shaping it. you might try to tape around the hole before using the foam yo kee it off the glass.