PDA

View Full Version : Dry Suit Seals...how hard to repair

dpolen
03-25-2008, 01:12 PM
I'm looking at a used dry suit that has some seals that need to be repaired. How hard to do it myself or expensive to have it repaired? I've never used a dry suit, but they sure do look nice for when the water is downright cold.

russlars
03-25-2008, 01:17 PM
My friend has had his repaired, however, not sure of the cost. One thing to consider about a dry suit, they catch a lot of air at slalom speeds. Kind of like having a sail on you! They are nice to keep you warm, but I sure like skiing in a wet suit better.

dpolen
03-25-2008, 01:23 PM
My friend has had his repaired, however, not sure of the cost. One thing to consider about a dry suit, they catch a lot of air at slalom speeds. Kind of like having a sail on you! They are nice to keep you warm, but I sure like skiing in a wet suit better.

Thanks...never realized that they would catch air...but I guess that makes sense. I wonder who you would take this to to get fixed.

No Skeez
03-25-2008, 01:25 PM
I wonder who you would take this to to get fixed.

Check with any local Dive shops. Most either do the service themselves, or at least have a contact of someone who can. We use a place in Milwaukee, WI called Drysuits Plus.

Good Luck!

EricB
03-25-2008, 01:26 PM
Check these guys out (Brainerd):
http://www.drysuitrepair.com/
They replaced some seals on my drysuit, and they are close by 9kind of)

sethro
03-25-2008, 02:06 PM
I've repaired seals on my suit and it really is not a difficult job. The old seal comes right off with some heat. Clean everything up with methyl ethyl ketone. Put a round object of some sort (I used 4" pvc pipe) in the arm or leg hole for support and attach new seal. Complete instructions and glue in a seal repair kit from Bart's or Overton's...why they don't send the MEK I don't understand but I bought it at a hardware store.

Next time I do it I'll use some sort of inflatable object in the arm/leg holes.

As for a baggy suit acting like a sail, I just don't experience that problem. I much prefer the light, free, and of course warm feeling of the baggy dry suit over the waterlogged, heavy, and restricted feeling of a wetsuit. Just my opinion of course...but I do a lot of cold water skiing.

Muttley
03-25-2008, 02:44 PM
I don't know if I'd try it myself. I just paid $77 Canadian to have my neck seal done on my Bare baggy. I had it done right at Fitzwright, where they are made. I happen to live near there.

pilot02
03-25-2008, 02:50 PM
Seals are easy to replace. I replaced all of the seals on mine 6 or so years ago. Under the advice of the manufacturer I used balloons inside the suit which I then inflated to ensure the seal was in the correct position. Cost was somewhere between $125 and $150 for all 5 seals.

dpolen
03-25-2008, 02:53 PM
Cost was somewhere between $125 and $150 for all 5 seals.

Wow...now that kind of makes me wonder if I should try to win the ebay auction. if I won the suit for less than $100, then I'd likely have $200+ into the suit by the time I replaced all the seals. DUCT tape has to be the answer!!!

Seaworld
03-25-2008, 03:19 PM
Wiley's will do all 5 seals for about $125. They do a really good job.

russlars
03-25-2008, 03:50 PM
Wiley's will do all 5 seals for about $125. They do a really good job.
Come to think of it, that is where my friend has his seals replaced!

bobbyB
03-25-2008, 03:55 PM
If only one of the seals is torn/ripped then just replace just that one; however if it's cracking and breaking, then the other seals are probably close behind; which means replacing all of them. Easily over a Hundy to get that done...might be better to pass and find a used one in better shape, or save for a new one.

If you can still get to a boat show, that is a great place to get a good deal on a new one. Last year 3 peeps from our group bought drysuits all at one place for around $220. Smokin deal!

Word of advise: DO NOT store the suit ANYWHERE near gas fumes. I learned this one the hard way. In under 2 years I had to replace all the seals:mad: It's now on the top of the closet shelf in a plastic bag....mo betta!

bobbyB
03-25-2008, 03:58 PM
Wileys....great place and yes their workmanship is great too. I live about an hour north of their store. If I can help in anyway, let me know.

dpolen
03-25-2008, 04:10 PM
What do you guys think about this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=280209219363&_trksid=p3984.cWAT.m240.lVI

or maybe this as option #2...the color is a little "odd", wouldn't be my first choice.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=360034746885&_trksid=p3984.cWAT.m240.lVI

bobbyB
03-25-2008, 04:23 PM
What do you guys think about this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=280209219363&_trksid=p3984.cWAT.m240.lVI

O'Niel is a decent name. The bad seal looks like a tear, so you might just have to replace that one. I think those are noeprene seals. Might want to find out if those are anymore expensive than just the plain latex/rubber ones???

or maybe this as option #2...the color is a little "odd", wouldn't be my first choice.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=360034746885&_trksid=p3984.cWAT.m240.lVI

I'm not familiar with that brand, however the color scheme looks a little dated; which in my book relates to the age of the seals. I'd be suspect of older seals.

The O'niel would be the one I'd be interested in, but either way you're taking a chance. I'm more of a touch it and inspect it kind of guy, and not being able to look it over before buying might come back to bite you. You might also check your local craigslist....sometimes see them there, and you can look before you jump. Good luck.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
03-25-2008, 04:49 PM
seals are irreplaceable. dont you ever watch those documentaries about this?

kjohnson
03-26-2008, 07:06 AM
This is considered a hazardous substance and most companies or USPS won't deliver.

Rockman
03-26-2008, 10:17 AM
Depending on the type of suit you have, not all places will repair. For example, some repair all suits except BFI, etc.

I sent 2 of my BFI suits down to OceanTech and they did an awesome job. No problems at all and the seals are still water tight.

RM

Ocean Tech
Attention: Repair Department
4390 West Road Drive
Bay #2
West Palm Beach, Florida 33407

Phone: 1-561-845-0030

dpolen
03-26-2008, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the help guys...i decided last night to just pony up the $ and buy a new one. That way I won't be pissed off on arrival if its a POS.

bobbyB
03-26-2008, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the help guys...i decided last night to just pony up the $ and buy a new one. That way I won't be pissed off on arrival if its a POS.

Probably a good choice.