PDA

View Full Version : Filing a Rudder

als2104
03-25-2008, 12:36 PM
There was some talk on this recently and I have a few questions on how to actually do it. Maybe East Tx or BrianM can chime in.

I understand that I am supposed to file the trailing edge. Is this dependent on the prop rotation? CC, left hand rotation, left trailing edge. Mastercraft (Malibu, MB, Tige), right hand rotation, right trailing edge.
How much should I file off? Should I file the entire length of the rudder, top to bottom? What should I use to file? Thanks.

flipper
03-25-2008, 12:40 PM
Go a little at a time for sure. From what I understand, it doesn't take much. A friend of mine did it to his, and wishes he never messed with it. It doesn't pull anymore, but he says the boat "wonders" more now, and it handled better before.

TMCNo1
03-25-2008, 12:58 PM
This thread may help, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=107070&postcount=12

ShamrockIV
03-25-2008, 01:10 PM
leave it alone!!!!

east tx skier
03-25-2008, 01:13 PM
It's not brand specific. It's a matter of which way do you want it to pull. File the right trailing edge and it will pull to the right. File the left trailing edge, and it will pull to the left. Of course, you'll have to file more to make a CC pull right and vice versa for MC and other brands that employ left hand rotation.

I'm currently in the process of trying to make a CC pull right. Some of the job was done for me, apparently by a previous owner who wanted to make it more neutral. I've had at the rudder's right trailing edge on two ocassions with a mill bastard file and, in practicing the little goes a long way approach, have seen little difference.

Soon, I will hit it with a grinder in an effort to make this process not become a summer of trial and error.

A file should do fine to make a MC go right though as you're not fighting the counter torque of prop rotation in making it go right.

phecksel
03-25-2008, 01:30 PM
unless it's a problem leave it alone. One of the Natiques on our lake is a pita to drive, the owner didn't want it to pull at all... he succeeded, now it wanders.

als2104
03-25-2008, 01:30 PM
I'm currently in the process of trying to make a CC pull right.

A file should do fine to make a MC go right though as you're not fighting the counter torque of prop rotation in making it go right.

Are you filing the entire length of the rudder? From the pic on your FAQ, it looks like you just filed the bottom.

east tx skier
03-25-2008, 01:32 PM
Are you filing the entire length of the rudder? From the pic on your FAQ, it looks like you just filed the bottom.

Entire length of the rudder. I just have an arrow at the bottom because that's the easiest part to see. Look at the entire trailing edge and you can see the grind line. That was factory by the way. I'm currently filing my first one.

BrianM
03-25-2008, 01:44 PM
Easty has it right. File the side you want the boat to pull to and do the entire edge. It does take quite a lot to get it to make a difference. It has a very pronounced bevel to the right trailing edge now. I did mine with a flat file by hand. I did very little at first with very small results. The last few times I took off quite a bit of material each time to get it where I wanted it. Took me about 6 diffrent filings to get it how I liked it. By the way I was adding MORE pull to the wheel not less. Boat tracks like a freight train now.

JLeuck64
03-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Here's a few pics of a rudder that used to be on my boat. It shows how much width the origianl grind was. I got used to the handling of the boat with that rudder and when I replaced it with a new one it had not been tuned at all. I drove the boat around for a few months on the new rudder that was neutral and didn't like it. The steering felt mushy and un-responsive while cruising straight ahead. I eventually tuned my new rudder by grinding the right edge to get some of that feel back...

Funny thing, I started with a power grinder and just ran a pass down and back up the trailing edge once to leave a small mark (about 1/8 to3/16 inch wide as compared to the old rudder that's over 1/4 inch wide). Drove it down to the river to try it out and couldn't believe how removing such a small amount of material could make that much difference. That's where I left it after only a few seconds with a power grinder.

EDIT: DISCLAIMER I take no responsibility this information provided will cross over to a Malibu product, proceed at your own risk!

als2104
03-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Thanks guys. The boat in question is actually an MB 190 Plus, with right hand prop rotation. As is, the boat tracks terribly in the course, loose steering, sways from side to side, not good. With the tips you've provided I should be able to file the right trailing edge, hopefully that should help keep it straight. Thanks

Ric
03-25-2008, 02:09 PM
this oughtta get interesting

flipper
03-25-2008, 02:21 PM
Thanks guys. The boat in question is actually an MB 190 Plus, with right hand prop rotation. As is, the boat tracks terribly in the course, loose steering, sways from side to side, not good. With the tips you've provided I should be able to file the right trailing edge, hopefully that should help keep it straight. Thanks

Well, there's your problem!!!!

rodltg2
03-25-2008, 02:30 PM
theres is no fix for the mb. had one, been there done that. filing will not help much. everyone at my club hated driving my boat. let me guess its a 2000 or so..

als2104
03-25-2008, 02:40 PM
Its a 2004. Sounds like I'm gonna have to hack half the rudder off...

TMCNo1
03-25-2008, 02:42 PM
this oughtta get interesting

You got that right, LH rotation/RH rotation, what the smells the difference, right?

BrianM
04-11-2008, 05:09 PM
Was out at the boat today and took a picture of my rudder to show how much I filed it. Should help other in the future.

WTRSK1R
04-12-2008, 10:37 PM
Mine looks alot like Brian's. It took me 2 tries to get it there because I was afraid of going to far on the 1st attempt. For what its worth, I used a belt sander with 60 grit paper on it and it worked realy well.

Steve