PDA

View Full Version : Interestin Factoid

Jim@BAWS
03-25-2008, 10:39 AM
Pass The Butter .. Please.

This is interesting . . .

Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get their money back. It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow coloring and sold it to people to use in place of butter. How do you like it? They have come out with some clever new flavorings..

DO YOU KNOW.. The difference between margarine and butter?

Read on to the end...gets very interesting!

Both have the same amount of calories.

Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams compared to 5 grams.

Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.

Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients other foods.

Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few
Only because they are added!

Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavors of other foods.

Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years .

And now, for Margarine..

Very high in Trans fatty acids.

Triple risk of coronary heart disease .
Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)

Increases the risk of cancers up to five fold.

Lowers quality of breast milk.

Decreases immune response.

Decreases insulin response.

And here's the most disturbing fact..... HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from beingPLASTIC..

This fact alone was enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance).

You can try this yourself:

Purchase a tub of margarine and leave it in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will note a couple of things:

* no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)

* it does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value ; nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not a find a home to grow. Why? Because it is nearly plastic . Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?

Share This With Your Friends.....(If you want to 'butter them up')!

Roonie's
03-25-2008, 10:47 AM
http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/butter.asp

Some true but most untrue. Most of these type of chain letters can be found on snopes.

also margarine not originally made to fatten turkeys.

one molecule away from plastic means nothing as many substances share similar chemical properties

I have never had margarine personally as I am a real butter man.

coz
03-25-2008, 11:00 AM
http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/butter.asp

Some true but most untrue. Most of these type of chain letters can be found on snopes.

also margarine not originally made to fatten turkeys.

one molecule away from plastic means nothing as many substances share similar chemical properties

I have never had margarine personally as I am a real butter man.

And butter has nutritional values margirine don't. :D Pass the butter please. :D

kjohnson
03-25-2008, 11:12 AM
Maybe that is why margarine doesn't expire for 4 years after you buy it.

snork
03-25-2008, 11:14 AM
I love to put my feet in Butter:D

LKNMC
03-25-2008, 11:21 AM
Love that butter

tex
03-25-2008, 11:37 AM
any relation to peanut butter?

03 35th Anniversary
03-25-2008, 11:49 AM
Ask Staristar, he is the peanut butter man...

6ballsisall
03-25-2008, 11:49 AM

I don't know, but ask Maristar or UMP, they seem to know alot about Peanut butter and it's various uses. 8p

mpm32
03-25-2008, 11:50 AM
"Get the butter"

peason
03-25-2008, 11:57 AM
Chunky? Anyone?

chudson
03-25-2008, 12:09 PM
Eat what you want because right now they may tell you it's not good for you but in ten years they'll say "whoops sorry it is good for you after all". I grow corn, cows eat corn, cows make butter, I eat butter.......The circle of life continues!!!:D :rolleyes:

88 PS190
03-25-2008, 12:09 PM
Ya some of that is off.

Avoid trans fats, cholesterol is healthier!

The concept of hydrogenation was developed in an attempt to use vegetable fats such as veg oil in place of lard/butter etc which have cholesterol.

At room temp veg. oils are going to be liquid while the animal versions are solid. By hydrogenating the oils what you are doing is breaking double bolds by introducing hydrogen across them as this proceeds the oils become thicker.

But you have two products as a result of the reaction, a Cis double bond containing product which is natural and fine for you, it increases your so called good cholesterol and your bad cholesterol at the same time, but another product results, one not found in nature with a Trans conformation across the double bonds known as a Trans Fat for that reason, this both increases bad cholesterol and lowers your levels of good cholesterol and is what really is linked to heart disease.

You should attempt to eliminate trans fats from your diet whenever possible. Which is very tricky, as was mentioned in the partially true thing above trans fats don't readily breakdown which means their shelf life is astounding, you can leave them open for weeks with out them rotting or going bad unlike the cis counter parts. That's a very popular substitution for this reason. Additionally where the trans fats are now required to be listed on labels they only have to list trans fats if it is over .5g in a serving, so many food items come with rediculously small servings so that the official amount of trans fat is less than .5g and then they can call it Trans Fat Free.

To avoid this look at the ingredients if it lists hydrogenated oils you can be fairly certain there is atleast some trans fat in there, also the %'s of the various types of fat should add up to the total, otherwise there is a portion of it that is trans fat and is being hidden.

^any relation to peanut butter - many have trans fats in them... yay!

Ric
03-25-2008, 01:17 PM
Butter aint bad

wakeX2wake
03-25-2008, 01:28 PM
i like popcorn

gigem75
03-25-2008, 01:40 PM
"Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from beingPLASTIC.." so what? there are many things that are just fine and one molecule away from being deadly.
Biodiesel is even less than one molecule away from being something you would fry fish in but that does not mean I'd injest it.

Willski
03-25-2008, 11:31 PM
I'm with 88 PS 190. Even though people are reporting trans fat free, it is all based on servings. 3 chips aren't a normal serving!!

I also agree that the recommended foods change every few years. I'm thinking the best thing is to focus on natural ingredients and non-processed foods. Not preaching, because I'm big on convenience, and that makes it tough. Lots of fruits, veggies and home cooked meals are probably the best option.

My two cents.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
03-25-2008, 11:40 PM
How many molecules is peanut butter away from plastic?? Staristar wants to know.

6ballsisall
03-25-2008, 11:50 PM
How many molecules is peanut butter away from plastic?? Staristar wants to know.
UMP I though he wanted to know how close it was to latex?

03-25-2008, 11:53 PM
UMP I though he wanted to know how close it was to latex?

Could be. :confused:

Monte
03-25-2008, 11:55 PM
Sad really.. I liked margarine

03-25-2008, 11:58 PM
Sad really.. I liked margarine

weirdo .

88 PS190
03-25-2008, 11:58 PM
I also agree that the recommended foods change every few years. I'm thinking the best thing is to focus on natural ingredients and non-processed foods. Not preaching, because I'm big on convenience, and that makes it tough. Lots of fruits, veggies and home cooked meals are probably the best option.

You know that while certain things change the basics are pretty fixed, as you mentioned. Fruits, fresh veggies, and home cooked meals eliminates alot of the things that should be in the diet. Excess sodium, cholesterol, fat, etc. just aren't going to be a problem if you cook using salt sparingly, and really its quite easy, and very cheap.

Things like yogurt and granola (watch those labels!) are both very tasty, healthy and convienient.

I'm not gonna say don't go out for dinner, but it shouldn't be the mainstay of your diet even if its not fast food it'll have alot of salt and fat to taste good.

Monte
03-25-2008, 11:59 PM
weirdo .

Transfat daymnit I am addicted to the stuff.. That and hot sauce..

88 PS190
03-26-2008, 12:01 AM
That and hot sauce..

You should see my jug of that stuff I bought the other day.

Monte
03-26-2008, 12:02 AM
You should see my jug of that stuff I bought the other day.

Ever tried Daves Insanity?? Insane.. I like TX pete

ProTour X9
03-26-2008, 04:25 PM
"Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from beingPLASTIC.." so what? there are many things that are just fine and one molecule away from being deadly.
Biodiesel is even less than one molecule away from being something you would fry fish in but that does not mean I'd injest it.

True, Hydrogen Peroxide is one molecule away from water, both of which are made of the very combustible hydrogen, and the fire supporting oxygen. Salt is made up of the metal sodium which explodes if exposed to water, and the very deadly chlorine gas. Oooops, just got out of chemistry, back to topic!!!

BUTTER