PDA

View Full Version : 95 MC ProStar 205

amayfield
03-25-2008, 10:08 AM
Hi all!

I am new to this, so bare with me.

My wife and I have welcomed to this world our first baby and I have amazingly been able to keep my 1995 MasterCraft ProStar 205. However, in order for me to be able to use my (I mean OUR) boat, I have been instructed to purchase a bimini top so the baby (Gabrielle) can get out of the sun.

I have seen the tops that have the nylon straps on the front and back that hold it in place. I would like to know if anyone knows some way of doing away with these straps and have maybe one/two additional bar that will hold the top in place. I like this setup because when I do not need the top, it would not be across my walk through in my windshield, nor would it be on my engine cover. Please let me know if you have any suggestions on what to do and where to get something like this.

FYI - I do not have a tower

coz
03-25-2008, 10:16 AM
Hi all!

I am new to this, so bare with me.

My wife and I have welcomed to this world our first baby and I have amazingly been able to keep my 1995 MasterCraft ProStar 205. However, in order for me to be able to use my (I mean OUR) boat, I have been instructed to purchase a bimini top so the baby (Gabrielle) can get out of the sun.

I have seen the tops that have the nylon straps on the front and back that hold it in place. I would like to know if anyone knows some way of doing away with these straps and have maybe one/two additional bar that will hold the top in place. I like this setup because when I do not need the top, it would not be across my walk through in my windshield, nor would it be on my engine cover. Please let me know if you have any suggestions on what to do and where to get something like this.

FYI - I do not have a tower

You can probably find what you need here http://www.coversearch.com/accessories/bimini_accessories.htm
:D

BrianM
03-25-2008, 10:39 AM
You can do a solid set of front and rear poles to the deck if you would like. Most people uses the straps especially with the 205s since you can avouid having to mount additional hardware to the deck.

amayfield
03-25-2008, 10:46 AM
With the straps, I would still have to mount the "eyes" on the deck huh? (eyes - where the straps would clip)

6ballsisall
03-25-2008, 10:48 AM
Congrats on the new baby girl!!

I highly recommend Johnson Bimini Tops. I had one on my 95 190 and it was the best of all the bimini's I've owned on boats. High quality, great materials used, and excellent service. They aren't usually the cheapest bimini's out there but they are worth it in my opinion. I wanted to match the colors of my boats upholstery so they sent me out some sample fabrics (free) to match it up. GREAT SERVICE!!

www.johnsonbimini.com

* IN past years Johnson tends to get really busy this time of year. If you plan on ordering one from them I'd get your order in pretty quick!

amayfield
03-25-2008, 10:48 AM
Do you know of a MC Dealer that may help. I have tried Bayou Outdoors here in Bossier City and Gus Campbell in Monroe and neither one has called me back. I have an email into Bennetts.

ShamrockIV
03-25-2008, 10:50 AM
congrats on the 205!!! i have a 97 and i love it!!!

amayfield
03-25-2008, 10:52 AM
Thanks!

I have talked to them, and yes they are a little more expensive. I like what they have to offer.

Trying to do a little research, before I bit the bullet.

Since my wife instructed me to do this, I have an open checkbook! WOO HOO!

coz
03-25-2008, 10:54 AM
Do you know of a MC Dealer that may help. I have tried Bayou Outdoors here in Bossier City and Gus Campbell in Monroe and neither one has called me back. I have an email into Bennetts.

No offence to the dealers but a MC dealer is the last place I'd get a bimini. Good deals here too http://www.discountboatcover.com/?OVRAW=bimini%20top&OVKEY=bimini%20top&OVMTC=standard&OVADID=7489835011&OVKWID=122853149011

amayfield
03-25-2008, 10:55 AM
I love my 205!

I had a 91 CC Ski Nautique. I did not like the closed bow, especially since having a baby. I sold to Ski Nautique to next door neighbor and best friend and he loves it. Its his first ski boat and I am able to break him in on everything.

6ballsisall
03-25-2008, 10:59 AM
Thanks!

I have talked to them, and yes they are a little more expensive. I like what they have to offer.

Trying to do a little research, before I bit the bullet.

Since my wife instructed me to do this, I have an open checkbook! WOO HOO!

In that case go for it! We bought our Johnson Bimini shortly after having our first child too. I like the thicker fabrics they use (better sun protection) and they are completely custombuilt to your model boat so they fit better. YOu want that bimini TIGHT when it's on your boat so it's not flapping in the wind

ShamrockIV
03-25-2008, 11:03 AM
open checkbook????
sounds like a tower would work!!! get one with the bimini mounted on it!!

"babe u said u wanted shade!!!!"

amayfield
03-25-2008, 11:30 AM
Not real crazy about towers except for on the newer boats that the towers are designed for. I guess I am "old school". New towers on old boats just ain't my thang. I have seen some I like, but very few.

Heck, I remember when wakeboards where called "Scurf Boards". Big, fat, floated.

BrianM
03-25-2008, 11:38 AM
With the straps, I would still have to mount the "eyes" on the deck huh? (eyes - where the straps would clip)

No need for eyes with a 205. You can use a small strap with two D rings on each end to wrap around the grab rails in fron and back.

amayfield
03-25-2008, 11:48 AM
You the man!

Didn't think of that!

Cool

coz
03-25-2008, 12:21 PM
No need for eyes with a 205. You can use a small strap with two D rings on each end to wrap around the grab rails in fron and back.

That is a really good idea Brian for a quick bimini install with minimal drilling. :D

ShamrockIV
03-25-2008, 12:28 PM
go to newdimension site and look at their towers on a 205 sure are nice!!!

http://www.newdimensiontowers.com/galleries/mastercraft/1992-1995_Prostar_205.html

BrianM
03-25-2008, 01:06 PM
I use the small straps with D rings around the grab rails for the rear straps on my bimini. With a 205 you can do the same thing in the front. In this photo you can see the white straps that are about 6" long with a D ring on each end. Just wrap them around the handrail and then hook the bimini strap.

east tx skier
03-25-2008, 01:20 PM

No, you would not. The front straps can loop through the front grab rails and connect to themselves. The rear straps can do the same or can be connected to jaw slides which can be clamped to the gunwhale grap rails.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/MasterCraft%20Pro%20Star%20205%20For%20Sale/CIMG2598.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/MasterCraft%20Pro%20Star%20205%20For%20Sale/BiminiModFront.jpg

Here are the mounting measurements.

The width from mount to mount is 73.75"
The height from deck (top of the gunwhale) to the top of the canvas is 25"
The height from mount to the top of the canvas is 17"
The distance from the mounting point on the windshield to the back edge of the windshield is 15".

Be very careful drilling that close to the windshield. You have minimal clearnance and if you hit the glass you are going to be hard pressed to find a replacement. Worth letting a dealer with insurance do in my opinion. Also, MC no longer offers a bimini for this era of MC (pictured above) last I heard, so call Johnson or there is a great shop in Dallas that you can use. Dallas Canvas and Boat Covers I think, but I could be wrong. Link (http://www.dallascanvasandboattops.com/)

amayfield
03-26-2008, 09:43 AM
I do like those! Those follow the lines of the boat.

I will have to investigate.

amayfield
03-26-2008, 09:44 AM
what do you do with the top when not in use, or do you have it up if the boat is in the water?

amayfield
03-26-2008, 09:45 AM
where did you get the small straps with the D rings?

amayfield
03-26-2008, 09:46 AM
I got a top from iboats.com.

I went with the all Stainless Steel option. I feel like I wasted some money by getting stainless.

BrianM
03-26-2008, 10:33 AM
My current top is mounted so that it folds just in front of the windshield when not in use.

On my old boat I had a sold set of rear poles instead of the straps that held the bimini up when not in use. It rode nicely in the up position while trailering too. This option may be better on a 205 if you expect to want it up only part of the time you are out since folding in front of the windshield would be inconvenient for using the bow. But you have to mount extra hardware on the deck.

I got my short straps with D rings from Jim@BAWS.

amayfield
03-26-2008, 11:05 AM
This is what I have in mind.

I ordered these poles also. I like this look, plus I might not put the top up when Gabby is not in the boat.

You have been a huge help!

Where do yall ski? Surely not Lake Pontchartrain!

I have spent some time on the Tickfaw.

BrianM
03-26-2008, 11:14 AM
Where do yall ski? Surely not Lake Pontchartrain!

I have spent some time on the Tickfaw.

I ski at a private site in Slidell right at I-12 and Hwy 11. You have probably seen it if you have ever driven I-12 in that area. Before that I used to ski a lot on the Pearl River Navigation Canal and occasionally on the Tchefuncta River.

wakeX2wake
03-26-2008, 11:17 AM
bet you can't say Tchefuncta River 10 times real fast... i can' teven say it once really slow