PDA

View Full Version : Redoing79

79stars
03-25-2008, 09:33 AM
well... the rub rail is now gone and the pin striping! I tried some vert glas on one side just to see. It worked OK however Im going to try the wet sand method next. IM a novice so this thread will be slow, but Im going to try and do this myself unless I come into a lot of money!!! So, that being said here are some pics.... Check out the budget pin stripe removal method...Hairdryer and razor..worked like a gem!

KnoxX2
03-25-2008, 09:44 AM
Looks like you made a great start. Keep up the good work!

ShamrockIV
03-25-2008, 09:44 AM
looks good to me!! just take ur time and go slow!! wetsanding is kinda a pain and makes a mess!!!!

79stars
03-25-2008, 10:01 AM
Any suggestions on the rub rail replacement. I have been told I have to drill out the existing rivets, fill with some type of caulk (taking suggestions here) and then go back and re-rivet. However, as you see in the front of the boat ( previous Pics in 1st thread) the deck is a slight bit jacked up from hitting the dock at my lake. What I'm asking is whats the proper technique for refitting new rubrail and making sure the old holes and deck do not leak?

TMCNo1
03-25-2008, 10:19 AM
Any suggestions on the rub rail replacement. I have been told I have to drill out the existing rivets, fill with some type of caulk (taking suggestions here) and then go back and re-rivet. However, as you see in the front of the boat ( previous Pics in 1st thread) the deck is a slight bit jacked up from hitting the dock at my lake. What I'm asking is whats the proper technique for refitting new rubrail and making sure the old holes and deck do not leak?

Here is where you can find it, in this thread, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=6640

And if you Google, "site:tmcowners.com boat rubrail" there are a bunch of threads covering replacement and the procedures talked about here on TT.

79stars
03-25-2008, 10:52 AM
Im looking at the threads however I see no step by step pics. I just want to be extremely careful as it would kill me to screw up this boat! So, if there are any pics out there Id love to see them.

TMCNo1
03-25-2008, 11:40 AM
There probably are no step by step pictorials/tutorials on the rub rail installation, but in those threads there shold be plenty of explainations by others on how they did theirs, even on how to insert the black plastic inset into the aluminum rail.

79stars
03-25-2008, 11:52 AM
Yeah my scare is drilling to big of a hole as it looks the rail has been replaced before. Then, once I drill do I just let the scraps fall into the boat? The I suppose Ill find new areas with no holes and dril the new rivets there? Ill plug the old holes with caulk or should I go for a fiberglass filler?

KnoxX2
03-25-2008, 12:07 PM
I think if I were you I would let a pro fix the front. That way you know its right. I think you can tackle the rest your self. Don't take this wrong, I am just saying you got a great boat and I think you want it to be right. Just my :twocents:

TMCNo1
03-25-2008, 12:15 PM
Yeah my scare is drilling to big of a hole as it looks the rail has been replaced before. Then, once I drill do I just let the scraps fall into the boat? The I suppose Ill find new areas with no holes and dril the new rivets there? Ill plug the old holes with caulk or should I go for a fiberglass filler?

Plugging up the old holes is your choice, but silicone sealant will work OK. If you drill a hole in an old hole and the rail won't attach, silicone that one and move over a bit to the side either way to get a good grip where no hole has been drilled. After the rail is installed, you will have to seal off the bottom of the rail against the hull with Marine Silicone to prevent water from entering the joint between the hull and the deck behind the rail and coming inside the boat. Do all your sanding, polishing of the gelcoat especially along the rail before installing the rail so you won't get into it while sanding and polishing. If there is any debris inside the boat from drilling the pop rivet holes, just vacuum them up.

79stars
03-26-2008, 11:44 AM
OK, Point has been made and Im going to let the pro's do the rub rail. Also, I'll be taking the boat to Tennessee to have the stringers redone by Donnie @ Bennetts Boat repair whom many of you have suggested. He says when he's done they'll last longer than me!! I hope he's right. Anyway, thank for the advice and stay tuned as The wetsand will be comencing soon.... Ill post pics as I get them done..

pilot02
03-26-2008, 11:49 AM
Do a search on Rub Rail installation on the internet and also check tacomarine.com I know they offer a video and I've seen step by step stuff elsewhere, maybe through boatUS but not sure

M-Funf
03-26-2008, 12:55 PM
well... the rub rail is now gone and the pin striping! I tried some vert glas on one side just to see. It worked OK however Im going to try the wet sand method next. IM a novice so this thread will be slow, but Im going to try and do this myself unless I come into a lot of money!!! So, that being said here are some pics.... Check out the budget pin stripe removal method...Hairdryer and razor..worked like a gem!

Great looking boat!

I see that you're missing the same decal that I am near the transom on the side of the boat. Is the one on the Port side still there?

79stars
03-26-2008, 01:51 PM
No Im missing both of them! I have been told that the sticker for the 79 is the yin&yang MC sticker. However it looks as though mine had the american flag decal. Id LOVE to find a replacement...Any suggestions, if I can't find them I guess Ill go with the Y&Y....

flipper
03-26-2008, 01:56 PM
Nice lookin' boat!!!!

M-Funf
03-26-2008, 01:57 PM
Nope. The Yin/Yang decal is round. Yours would have been a flag decal, same as mine...of course, mine looks just like yours now :rolleyes:

79stars
03-26-2008, 02:09 PM
Yeah, I know it was the flag.. Man, that is the hardest sticker to find! I guess Ill go with the yin and yang..or I may come up with something and have it made. If I could find the old one, a pic, a file or something I'd keep it original.. Let me know if you can find one.

79stars
03-29-2008, 06:14 PM
No one has the flag decal or pic, not even Jim @ BAWS... Anyway, I have new tires on trailer, boat cover on, boat strapped in and in the morning I make the trip to Bennetts Boat Repair in TN from Atlanta, GA to have the stringers redone and the rub rail done right. My wood working abilities and boat refurbishing abilities need more honing before I do these things myself. When I get another MC Ill work on my 79 myself at that point. Ill post pics when it gets back and the sanding begins. I'll post some pics sometime this week of me an ole boat on our road trip. Take care and stay tuned....

Somebody find the flag decal!!

I hate to go with the yinyang but its starting to look like I may have to as I want to keep everything MC on the boat.

TMCNo1
03-29-2008, 08:51 PM
Check with TT member yellow78mc, I think he has the round decals and may have connections to the flag one too. Just pm him.

Chas
03-30-2008, 12:55 AM
The flag decal has it's own thread now - get it from Nautique!

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=22336

79stars
03-30-2008, 05:05 PM
OK, Dropped the boat at Bennets this morning and to say the least I am excited. Donny is going to email me pics along the way so Ill post them here. I went ahead and went for an unoriginal addition however the boat needs them and they are MC OEM. I am having two flush mount cleats installed on the deck so I can tie up to folks and docks!! They have mastercraft printed on the top so its all still MC!! New rub rail wont be the old chrome one however he had an 83 there with the same one I am having installed and it looks great. Should be done in a few weeks and ill post the after pics. Trip pics to follow.

As you all know we have had a terrible drought this year...:( drove by lake on way home.......Dang near FULL POOL!! WHOOOO HOOOOO!:) Back on the water in a month with a solid 2008 structure and a great 79 MC! Thanks everybody for your guidance and maybe I can make CM'08...we'll see.

Stay tuned as pics to follow later...

79stars
04-02-2008, 09:14 AM
I posted some pics on my profile...Only took me like a year to figure it out..."insert heres your sign joke here". However, take a look and like I said stay tuned.As soon as Donny sends me pics of the stringer job they'll be up.

79stars
04-07-2008, 12:23 PM
Donny says boat goes in first of next week! Pics to follow. I know this has been slow however it should be moving along nicely starting next week..

79stars
04-25-2008, 10:40 AM
Here are a few....

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=34112&stc=1&d=1209130683

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=34113&stc=1&d=1209130683

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=34114&stc=1&d=1209130683

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=34115&stc=1&d=1209130683

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=34116&stc=1&d=1209130683

79stars
04-25-2008, 10:41 AM
Man Ill figure out the pics again later...more pics coming soon!

Bellinghamster
04-26-2008, 12:05 AM
Can't figure out how to remove the duplicate...

Bellinghamster
04-26-2008, 12:05 AM
Unfortuanately, I'm starting to tear into the same project... just waiting until I've got a whole day set aside to get itchy, but hopefully get all the demolition done in one shot. I hadn't thought of using an air chisel for removal... I can't wait to see pics/description of fitting and layup!

-Pete "Bellinghamster"

79stars
04-30-2008, 03:11 PM
Take a gander!

Bellinghamster
05-01-2008, 11:56 PM
You're pulling ahead of me! Mine are now out and I've gathered nearly all the supplies to get started on reconstruction but I've got to do some more heavy grinding first.

Did you do the outboard stringers (as in outboard of the engine support stringers), too?

Make sure you paint or fiberglass the underside of the floor before it's all screwed down. Exposed plywood won't last long.

How much resin have you used?
Any pointers?

Here's mine:

H20skeefreek
05-02-2008, 09:03 AM
You guys aren't going to fully incapsulate that wood? I've never done a stringer replacement, but I would think you'd want to protect it better than that, or use a different material.

79stars
05-02-2008, 01:04 PM
Basically we are resin'ing and fiberglassing the stringers and the underside of the floor as well as gel coating them so as to make sure they are waterproof.

I'll find out some more info as I am having this done for me. I had to go the expensive route as I dont have the knowhow or tools at the moment to take on a job such as this.

Donnie with Bennetts Boat Repair in Marysville TN is doing ther resto for me.

Ill get some info and let you know what I find.

Bellinghamster
05-03-2008, 11:46 AM
You guys aren't going to fully incapsulate that wood? I've never done a stringer replacement, but I would think you'd want to protect it better than that, or use a different material.

I'm planning on full encapsulation on mine.

1.5oz chopped strand mat wrap on the resin-soaked stringers, set in thickened resin "bedding" to mate them to the hull, then a layer of 1708 (chop strand and biaxial stitched together) to bond it to the hull, doubled up for about 6ft in the engine bay then gelcoated. The floor sections will get 1.5oz CSM all around (bottom, edges and top) before installation, then another layer on top once its screwed down, then that gelcoated too.

Chaser_rct
05-05-2008, 12:20 AM
I redid mine on my 81 this past summer. I used fiberglass matte to hold them in place then used woven roving to cover the length of the stringers. I wont know how good a job for a few years lol but it all looks good!

79stars
05-05-2008, 08:48 AM
I am told the resin and fiberglass are not waterproof over the years as you can see in my pics. However it did last 20 something years. Those compounds can and do become saturated therefore we went with that process and added the gelcoat in order to make sure it is waterproof. This technique was also used on the underside of the floor of which is made of marine plywood. Ill get some more pics up this week.

79stars
05-08-2008, 12:08 PM
Stringers and floor all gelcoated!!

New rub rail!!

New mastercraft cleats in deck!!

New carpet!!

Donnie Bennett @ Bennetts boat repair in Marysville TN!!!

Thanks for the work Donnie and Ill continue to use this man for all my mastercraft needs. Everyone else who isnt a boat carpenter or have the time and tools, I would suggest using Donnie. He calls with updates, sends you pics during the process and has the highest level of customer service Ive ever encountered.

chico
05-08-2008, 06:45 PM
Nice job 79Stars,Ihad a 78 that was in need of that,Is that a newer motor box?

icewake
05-08-2008, 09:21 PM
That has to be a newer motor box. Our 79 looked nothign like that but looks just like our 94 205. what year boat did you get that out of
79stars?

79stars
05-09-2008, 11:48 AM
I believe it was a 91 prostar. It was already installed when I purchased the boat. I think it looks great, obviously not original but I love it! Now if I can just get back to TN and pick the boat up Ill be good. Im thinking Im going to have a 4 blade prop installed as well. Im told Ill get a better pull out of the water and will be able to maintiain a constant speed better with a slight loss of velocity on top end but I didnt buy the boat to race so Im good with that. Any thoughts on this?????

icewake
05-09-2008, 12:19 PM
we had a 4 blade on our 79(cant remember which pitch) but with that prop the 79 jerked us out of the water better than our 94 with a 3 blade prop

454Prostar190
05-09-2008, 03:23 PM
Nice boat and great job! Rick

stuartmcnair
05-09-2008, 04:01 PM
I bought an OJ 14x18 four-blade from BAWS for my 89 and it is unreal how much of a difference it makes in the hole shot. Tops out at around 40 but that is plenty fast enough for me.

79stars
05-15-2008, 03:19 PM
Any ideas on doing the pinstriping other than go slow. Pick up boat on maonday and will post new pics at that time!

Willski
05-15-2008, 11:38 PM
Lookin good. All my pinstriping is in the gelcoat. Are you doing some decal work?

79stars
05-16-2008, 10:35 AM
Yeah, I have the american flag decals (2 sets) one for this summer and one for next after I have the paint redone. So, this week Ill put pin striping back on for this season and next winter take it all off and go with new paint. However Im considering doing the decals in Paint so I dont have to mess with them ever again as well as the pinstriping.
This summer Im going to go with an oxidation wash and wax and reseal the Maroon metal flake stripe for a quick fix for this season.

Chaser_rct
05-21-2008, 02:30 PM
If you dont mind me asking what do you mean by "oxidation" wash and wax"

79stars
05-21-2008, 03:13 PM
Check out pics @ beginning of thread. Oxidaation where the sun has faded the paint. Wash and wax using gelcoat repair system by vertglass. Some have siad to steer clear of this however I am gioing to use it for this summer only and then have it professionly redone this next off season.

79stars
05-21-2008, 03:14 PM
Vertglass supplies a product to wash away excess oxidation and then a resealing product to apply. So far it has been an OK quick fix.

79stars
05-28-2008, 04:54 PM

79stars
05-28-2008, 04:56 PM
So there we have new stringers, new carpet, new buttons on the side upholstery, new rub rail, new flag decals, and new pop up flush mount cleats from MC in the deck. Oh, almost forgot I had a collision center redo the pinstriping as mine would've looked like an EKG print out. Saved money on the pin strip demo and gunk removal.

79stars
05-28-2008, 05:29 PM
BTW, The new 4 blade prop runs like a champ. right out the hole and has great top end for this boat. I could not be more pleased!!

1993bluestarsnstripes
05-06-2012, 09:49 PM
Hey 79 stars, Were you able to bring the red metal flake back to new? joeski1157@yahoo.com