PDA

View Full Version : newbie looking to buy a 2000 PS195 advice needed

johny123
03-25-2008, 01:14 AM
First off, I'd like to say this site is amazing. I found it a couple of months ago and am hooked. It's a gold mine of info, I've read the plethora of info in C36's awesome post about the differences between the 190/195/X5/Skier/Sporstar but have a few questions I'm hoping you guys can help me with.

The boat i'm looking at has the predator 310 (don't think it has the powerslot) which i've read isn't as good (or sexy) as the mcx. We slalom and foot and i'm wondering if anyone might be able to tell me if i would have problems hitting 43-45?

The upholstery and carpet are in great shape, I'm planning on having a compression test done (by the marina that has it for sale - so not completely impartial) and was wondering what kind of results would be good/bad indicators. Does anyone have any other tips on what to look for?

I've attached a couple pictures and was wondering if anyone can tell me if the small amount of rust on the engine and poor appearance of the rudder and prop should be cause for concern?

Also if anyone has experience with this model I'd love to hear about it.

Cheers!

erkoehler
03-25-2008, 01:20 AM
First off, I'd like to say this site is amazing. I found it a couple of months ago and am hooked. It's a gold mine of info, I've read the plethora of info in C36's awesome post about the differences between the 190/195/X5/Skier/Sporstar but have a few questions I'm hoping you guys can help me with.

The boat i'm looking at has the predator 310 (don't think it has the powerslot) which i've read isn't as good (or sexy) as the mcx. We slalom and foot and i'm wondering if anyone might be able to tell me if i would have problems hitting 43-45?

The upholstery and carpet are in great shape, I'm planning on having a compression test done (by the marina that has it for sale - so not completely impartial) and was wondering what kind of results would be good/bad indicators. Does anyone have any other tips on what to look for?

I've attached a couple pictures and was wondering if anyone can tell me if the small amount of rust on the engine and poor appearance of the rudder and prop should be cause for concern?

Also if anyone has experience with this model I'd love to hear about it.

Cheers!

For barefooting, it is really nice to have the bigger engine, with the 310hp I would recommend a ACME/OJ prop to maximize your performance.

east tx skier
03-25-2008, 01:28 AM
That's an old school hull, which, overall, doesn't need 350 hp to push it around. Prop'd right, I think you ought to be able to hit 45. My father in law can hit 44 in his 205 with a four blade and 308 hp TBI (basically the same motor that's in your boat, but with a bit heavier hull.

sizzler
03-25-2008, 04:59 AM
i barefoot behind a buddies X-5 with the 310 predator.....it hits 44-45 easily.......fantastic footing wake....low and narrow......

you'll love it........

johny123
03-25-2008, 10:55 AM
good to hear, i read that some 197's with the predator were a little slower.
i guess because it has the old hull and lower weight than the 197 the top end speed isn't quite as affected?

can anyone offer insight into what to look for in a compression test, other key indicators when buying used and the rust/condition of the engine and rudder/prop in the pics?

also is there a size of 4 blade acme/oj prop that will get me max hole shot and top end (or is that a trade off)?

thanks guys

jraben8
03-25-2008, 02:54 PM
If you want you can PM me your questions. I have a 99 SportStar OB which has the same hull and motor.

Overall I'm extremely happy with mine. I does everything that I need flawlessly. Footing (fantastic) , slalom (fantastic) and boarding (adequate) - (the people that I board with are intermediates at best) The only drawback IMO is the potential lack of storage.

I have a pic of the footing wake at 40 if you want it. It's too big to post here.

BrianM
03-25-2008, 04:43 PM
My '97 190 (same hull as the 195) with the TBI 275hp motor with the 1:1 and an Acme 13x12 will run 44 mph with no problem. The 197 is an entirely different hull with LOTS more wetted surface that requires MUCH more power to push it through the water. The 310 Predetor that they put in the 195 is a great motor with plenty of umph for all things watersports.

Buy it, ski it, foot it, love it!

johny123
03-25-2008, 11:09 PM
thanks for the help guys. this is our first inboard - and i get the feeling i'm going to love it. before this we had a 16 ft 70hp, then made the mistake of buying a 17.5 ft 115hp 2 years ago... not enough top end and with the v4 still took around 5-10 of drag when getting up slalom with both feet in the boots.....needless to say i'm glad those days are over - i'm looking forward to some serious power.

if i can ask one last time about the rudder/prop, in the picture it almost looks stained as if its been in salt water (though i've been assured it hasn't) and was wondering if anyone could comment on whether the appearance is normal or not.

i've tried pasting it into the email...hopefully it works

thanks again! i'll post pics as soon as we get it.

Chicago190
03-25-2008, 11:23 PM
Not sure about the rudder, but it looks like the trailer cross members are beginning to rust? May want to give it a close look for salt water use. Although, you're in Canada so I wouldn't think it would have been used in salt water.

johny123
03-25-2008, 11:48 PM
we're buying it in the states. not sure if that's rust on the trailer (don't think so) ... but if that is rust on the rudder/prop is that bad news?

ps205
03-26-2008, 08:39 AM
I have the exact same boat you are going to buy. I have a wife and 3 kids and we do all the watersports. No problem with power I promise you, coming off 110 hp non inboard boat you will think this thing has 500hp!

As for the rudder and prop, it looks like someone cleaned the bottom of the boat with a stronger chemical cleaner and it spilled on the prop and rudder - I cleaned the bottom of my boat with some water spot remover and it did the same thing to my prop when i got overspray on it. Not a big deal at all!

Enjoy the boat.....

johny123
03-26-2008, 03:24 PM
hey ps205, do you mind if i pm you some questions about the boat?

wakeX2wake
03-26-2008, 03:48 PM
the first MC i was ever behind was a ps 205 and it will literally rip your hands off if you want it to

MIMC
03-26-2008, 05:36 PM
Love my 2000 PS195, I have the 330HP LTR engine. Tried footin a few times (I'm getting to old for that stuff) so I can't really give you a good perspective on footin. Love skiing behing the boat, we run the course, love pulling multiple tubes, wakeboarding - you name it - great all around boat. I have had 290 flawless hours. If it was well taken care of I'm sure you will be pleased with the boat.

MIMC

sdesmond
03-26-2008, 06:19 PM
I agree with the boat cleaning chemicals. That was the first thing I saw when I looked at it.

johny123
03-26-2008, 06:37 PM
can the cleaning chemicals be a problem? affect gelcoat or anything like that?

airwear
03-26-2008, 09:49 PM
I have a 2000 PS195 and love it. It has been my first Mastercraft. My brother has the PS205, and I prefer the PS195. My PS195 takes me wakeboarding and barefooting, and takes my daughters waterskiing and wakeboarding.

You cannot go wrong with this boat. I have the 330 hp LTR engine, but I am sure the standard 310 hp is ample enough.

johny123
03-26-2008, 10:19 PM
AIRWEAR or MIMC... have you guys had any problems with your trailers?

i found this recall for the trailers that came with this boat... we're going to have to haul it back to canada when we buy it and i'm wondering if this is serious and should have it fixed before the trip back...

if you might offer some advice as to whether or not it affected your trailers that would be great, thanks!

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2001/01/24/013308.html

MIMC
03-27-2008, 03:04 PM
johny123 -

Yea, I received the recall notice, did the repair myself - very easy. Pull off the wheels, mild grit sanding pad on the drill, sand the paint off the top hat of the rotor (area where lugs "squeeze" wheel to rotor). Not a big deal. The only problem I am having is rust at the end caps of the trailer. I dip my boat everytime I use it (even though I live on the lake), no reason for the UV rays to destroy the boat if I can keep it in the garage. I will need to do some serious rust repair on the trailer this year, will put the boat on the neighbors hoist while doing the repair. Other than the rust, which I consider normal after 8 years of dipping, I have had no problems. My trailer did not come with the prop guard rollers, so I will be welding those on when I do the rust repair. Good luck with the boat!

MIMC