PDA

View Full Version : Polishing the Tower

BHT
03-25-2008, 12:53 AM
Can you use anything stronger than cleaner wax on the new towers?

erkoehler
03-25-2008, 01:14 AM
Is there an imperfection you are trying to remove or just polish?

BHT
03-25-2008, 11:30 AM
The boat was outside for about a year and has a few discoloration dots on the tower surface the size of a pea. I’m assuming that the tower has some type of clear coating on it and I don’t want to damage that.

ridesdirt
04-01-2008, 12:20 AM
I am interested in this also.

I just want to clean it up right.

boofer
04-03-2008, 03:04 PM
Bump. I would be interested in an answer to this.

Monte
04-03-2008, 03:06 PM
WD-40 makes a huge difference.. For me anyway...

KnoxX2
04-03-2008, 03:07 PM
WD-40 makes a huge difference.. For me anyway...

You Redneck!!!:rolleyes: :D

wakeX2wake
04-03-2008, 03:13 PM
what about scratches from the bimini top supports that are pretty deep?

Monte
04-03-2008, 03:23 PM
You Redneck!!!:rolleyes: :D

What? WD 40 is sold up north too:rolleyes:

wakeX2wake
04-03-2008, 03:25 PM
if it don't move and it should----> WD-40
if moves and it shouldn't--------> Duct Tape

ridesdirt
04-03-2008, 03:39 PM

that is classic

wakeX2wake
04-03-2008, 03:51 PM
that is classic

i've always heard if you can't duck it... **** it

::for reference::
**** rhymes w/ duck

or buck, suck, cluck, muck... well you get the idea...

i hope

o yea another great use for WD-40 is cleaning concrete... we'd spray a dust mop down w/ it and it would make the aisles shine when i worked at a large scale retail home improvement store... i don't know why i thought i'd share that but this seems to be a useful and useless knowledge center

and anybody w/ any real input is welcome to post to this thread at any time

ShamrockIV
04-07-2008, 03:05 PM
no for real what should we use??

wakeX2wake
04-07-2008, 03:09 PM
ok i detailed mine for the most part yesterday... my roommate used a technique on the tower i've yet to see but it worked AWESOME... ok for starters i usually just water down some windex and use that to clean everything in my boat...it's not messy it's simple safe blah blah... well he went and got a dryer sheet... wet it and it took bug and minor scratches right off the tower and speakers then he went back w/ the windex sol'n and cleaned again... it looks good now too... i was amazed he said that he usually uses it on his cars to get bug off but it made the tower and speaker cans look great

EDIT: incomplete content

dapicatti
04-07-2008, 04:00 PM
A Dryer Sheet??? Harold is this legal?

wakeX2wake
04-07-2008, 04:04 PM
hey it makes a bugs a JOKE... i need to know what to do about deep scratches... from say a bimini top??? that were on there when i got it

ShamrockIV
04-07-2008, 04:04 PM
i also question this???

dapicatti
04-07-2008, 04:06 PM
We have been using the magic eraser for the bugs on the tower, they come right off. We have the tower covers and swivel rack covers from speaker sox and the bugs just wash right off in the water from them. I haven't had to worry about any deep scratches so far--

flipper
04-07-2008, 04:07 PM
ok i detailed mine for the most part yesterday... my roommate used a technique on the tower i've yet to see but it worked AWESOME... ok for starters i usually just water down some windex and use that to clean everything in my boat...it's not messy it's simple safe blah blah... well he went and got a dryer sheet... wet it and it took bug and minor scratches right off the tower and speakers then he went back w/ the windex sol'n and cleaned again... it looks good now too... i was amazed he said that he usually uses it on his cars to get bug off but it made the tower and speaker cans look great

EDIT: incomplete content

hmmm, never herd of that. I'll have to try it. Thanks for the tip

icewake
04-07-2008, 04:08 PM
i have heard of the dryer sheet thing for getting bugs off on cars. i have never personally done it but have heard about it before

ShamrockIV
04-07-2008, 04:08 PM
i meant to take the dullness off of it. mine has not been touched in prob 2 years or more!!

wakeX2wake
04-07-2008, 04:10 PM
he uses that method on his '07 vette headlights... GOT to be ok w/ me for the tower... i may get home and not have a finish left on my tower but it still l0ooked good to me at lunch

Monte
04-07-2008, 04:19 PM
WD-40 seriously.....

TX.X-30 fan
04-07-2008, 08:48 PM
35th said astroglide works good when he polishes his??

TMCNo1
04-07-2008, 08:52 PM
A Dryer Sheet??? Harold is this legal?

I know dryer sheets are used by used car dealers by placing them under the front seats to make a questionable smelling car smell better.
I guess that since dryer sheets contain a heat released silicone/anti-static/perfume wax type compound, your basically applying a silicone wax film to the finish and using the cloth as a scrubber at the same time and the women will think your tower smells fresh like a spritz of feminine hygiene product! :rolleyes: Hell, I dunno, but it's true!

TMCNo1
04-07-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote of the day!:D

JohnE
04-07-2008, 09:00 PM
I haven't tried it yet, but I have heard that the WD40 works great on the towers. How come nobody is on board with that?

TMCNo1
04-07-2008, 09:05 PM
I haven't tried it yet, but I have heard that the WD40 works great on the towers. How come nobody is on board with that?

Someone said KY Jelly may work, cause when you put that Kentuckey Jelly on toast it tastes like crap!:rolleyes: :D

flipper
04-07-2008, 09:26 PM
Someone said KY Jelly may work, cause when you put that Kentuckey Jelly on toast it tastes like crap!:rolleyes: :D

No, almost true, but not the "original", it MUST be the warming kind!!!

TX.X-30 fan
04-07-2008, 10:00 PM
You guy's are sick!!! :D

Farmer Ted
04-07-2008, 10:22 PM
be careful what you clean anodized aluminum with

the small dots you see may be corrosion

another plug for 303 aerospace protectant

http://www.anodizing.org/html/faq_cont2.html#Cleaning

CLEANING ANODIZED ALUMINUM Can anodized aluminum be cleaned with a detergent that has a pH of 10, or would that result in scaling or other surface problems?
Factors such as concentration of the detergent solution, duration of exposure, and temperature will influence the results. If the anodized aluminum is cleaned at room temperature and promptly rinsed with clean water, then there should be no problem. If cleaned at an elevated temperature or with prolonged exposure without rinsing, then the cleaning solution would start to attack the anodic oxide and etch the metal. Mild soap is generally preferable to detergent for routine maintenance cleaning.

How do I clean anodized aluminum?
Cleaning anodized aluminum is easy with the right technique. Because anodizing is so hard, you want to use an abrasive cleaning technique with a gentle soap. Do not use harsh acidic or alkaline cleaners because they may destroy the finish. Use solvents with care as they may stain the finish. Regardless of the technique, be sure to try a test area first. One recommended technique is to use an abrasive cleaning sponge with mild dish washing liquid. Always try a test small area first to prevent a widespread problem. (For more detailed advice, obtain a copy of Care of Aluminum from The Aluminum Association (http://www.aluminum.org/). )

BGcraft
04-29-2008, 09:09 PM
Stainless steel magic...Home Depot.

Good stuff. Bonus points w/ the wife when you clean the stove and fridge!!

BG

brucemac
04-29-2008, 10:00 PM
+1 for 303 and magic erasers

bzmillerboy
04-29-2008, 10:37 PM
I used cleaner wax on my tower and it made a world of difference. I do have some scratches from the bimini cover brackets but I'm not too worried about them.

Eagle Lake Rebel
04-29-2008, 11:19 PM
I've had good results using WD-40,303,& Babe's seat soap. I think I like the soap the best.